Topic: Objective Based PvP

OBJECTIVE BASED PvP

Objective based PvP, as opposed to irrational or passionate PvP,  stems from a clan's desire to accomplish goals or claim rewards not offered in safe Alpha islands, but instead found in free-for-all PvP territories.

In the course of the pursuit of these dangerous rewards, conflicts arise for whatever reason when two or more clans come into contact on Beta or Gamma islands. In most cases these meetings end up in violence.

Objective based PvP corporations seek to protect themselves or advance their aims through military power and the ability to accomplish the task, in the face of enemy friction.

example of objective based pvp:

EPRITON MINING ON BETA. Without Epriton, clan production is limited.

A clan is driven to desperation and forced to attempt mining of this mineral in dangerous lands.

In the course of mining, the owner of the island engages.

The mining corporation defends themselves with the idea that top priority is the safe return of this valuable mineral at the cost of combat and possible loss.

Win condition for the island owner: The destruction, ransom, or expulsion of the mining clan from their island.

Win condition for the mining clan: The safe extraction of minerals to corp producers and factories at minimal loss of defensive robots, by destroying the attacking force, delay tactics, or total escape to safety.

***Destruction of opposing bots and kill count is NOT necessarily the priority; Island defense and profit are the driving factors.

HYDRA is an Objective Based PvP clan.

"There must be War . . . "

Re: Objective Based PvP

I don't see why any corp would go to a contested island. The resources are pretty much unlimited and respawn as fast as you mine them out, therefore there's really no point in owning or living on more then one island.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

3 (edited by Phalanx 2013-02-09 20:54:56)

On the subject of anyone going to contested islands for profit . . .

Many Nians may not be aware that every Beta Outpost regularly (every 6-16 hours?) has an intrusion event, whether anyone shows up or not.

At the conclusion of the event (60 min), a reward is dropped in the form of a field can with contents worth 7 - 30 mill nic in : beacons, cortexes, epriton, decoders etc.

A new player with a small fast bot has the potential to scoop this can, uncontested, and return to Alpha to sell your prizes; almost guaranteed sales in the millions, possibly tens of millions

In all honesty, it seems the only benefit of Beta is these intrusion event loot drops. Almost everything else, as Syndic said, can be found safely on Alpha

I'm amazed beta isnt crawling with fast mover lights and assaults just waiting to pounce on these. Its like a leperachaun dropping a pot of gold, twice per day, per outpost with no strings attached; and many times, after 15 minutes, the loot can just pops with no master to claim it.

Actively protecting Beta OP is like to show that you have no life. Same for attackers. same for the whole current beta mechanic. Can I haz new one kthxbye

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

On the subject of epriton mining with gamma it has become absurd how safe and easy it is. Anyone doing it on beta is pants on head ***.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

lets see what "instances" will bring...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Phalanx I applaud this post.  Hydra's leadership is clearly stating its all about profit and not about epeen.  Maybe this inspires more corps to become more actively engaging in sap warfare.  Kudos and respect to Hydra.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Coincidentally, the biggest war in Perp history was started because of an objective: epriton fields. Back then, island fields were limited and you had to wait for them to regenerate over time before harvesting them again. It was possible for an alliance to outgrow 1 island and require another.

CIR Complaint Form

are you telling that the regrow threshhold for epriton should be lowered, so a new field doesnt spawn before you have cleared almost the whole island?
big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I'm saying that infinite respawning fields don't give any incentive to fight for resources. Here's a nice exercise question:

Name 1 objective besides Bored/Epeen why Alliance A would go to war with Alliance B?

Not a fan of war? Here's a more industry-related one!

Name 1 objective why Alliance A would make a trade agreement with Alliance B?

Give it some thought, you'll figure out the root of the problem. smile

CIR Complaint Form

As I said at the beginning of the gamma expansion epriton shouldn't be on gamma. Add to that the removal of infinite spawns and the removal of corp markets and you might have an economy worth having.

Infinite resources is not the root of the problem, what has changed is it's just too safe to mine, the respawning fields just compounds to the problem, although there were plenty enough resources available pre-expansion. Waiting for them to regenerate can still be defined as infinite.

The separation of specific island resources is not much of an issue either to create conflict, there is an empty island right next door to get what you need. The other option would be to mine on alpha.

It all comes down to not enough players, with too many islands to do as you please.

Not sure what OP is talking about. All types of PVP/conflict has an objective.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

What Phalanx means despite a killboard that shows horrendous losses, they don't just fight for killboard stats. They will take great losses if they achieve their objective. For a new(er) corp willing to sacrifice this is commendable.

PHM should probably put out the same message.

Yeah they're fighting. No matter if they're small - they're trying and learning. Respect, Phalanx! \o/

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I know how to exploit this

Syndic wrote:

I'm saying that infinite respawning fields don't give any incentive to fight for resources. Here's a nice exercise question:

Name 1 objective besides Bored/Epeen why Alliance A would go to war with Alliance B?

Not a fan of war? Here's a more industry-related one!

Name 1 objective why Alliance A would make a trade agreement with Alliance B?

Give it some thought, you'll figure out the root of the problem.

This is actually a good point.  One of the biggest issues has got to be the lack of market based competition.  This is compunded be easy availability of resources. 

Perhaps requiring that Gamma based teleports that DO NOT connect to a Beta island be fed plasma(the common indy bot Plasma) on a regular basis to remain active could help here?  Add to this a 'warm up' timer and give a cargo scanner the ability to tell how much plasma remains in the teleport and logistics becomes something akin to SAPs on Gamma... imagine the sad face of a pl;ayer that mines the worlds supply of Epitron on a Gamma island only to have the teleports close down because they didn't do their homework...  This would also give PvE players a new commodity to sell and make indy bots a little more valuable.

Gamma is end game content, it shouldn't gain unlimited unlocking.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

Celebro wrote:

All types of PVP/conflict has an objective.

--I believe a fair portion of pvp in game has no physical or intangible gains as an objective. Its just for the lulz.

examples:

• --A group of buddies goes out on a "roam" with the intent of killing no one in particular.

• --flagging up outside an alpha terminal

--Unless you consider this training, I would say these are not Objective Based PvP situations.
--I admit though, looking for instances of PvP with no reward is hard to find.
--Rewards could be things like: corp honor, personal fame, power projection, training, dead enemy loot etc

I guess in general I need to rephrase my definition. Thanks for the input Celebro.

In respect to HYDRA's willingness to do battle, Line said this:

Line wrote:

Yeah they're fighting. No matter if they're small - they're trying and learning.

I have a saying
"If you ain't dyin', you aint tryin."

Theres something to be said for moderation though I guess.
In general, dont be afraid to test your limits.
Bots are replaceable, experience is priceless.

"Huzzah to the warrior class!"

Entruix wrote:
Celebro wrote:

What Phalanx means despite a killboard that shows horrendous losses, they don't just fight for killboard stats. They will take great losses if they achieve their objective. For a new(er) corp willing to sacrifice this is commendable.

PHM should probably put out the same message.

Your honestly right in saying this.  PHM inner crew thats active nowadays averages below 300K EP.  Not to say there aren't any veterans in the corp, but the active 4 to 5 guys excluding myself have less the 6 monthes in game.  They are learning and having fun thats the important part.  With the ability to sustain Gamma living and being able to mine epriton within docking range of the station, and being communist PHM is not about the spoils.  However there is about 500 nora plants that pay the subs for about 15 accounts.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIrf1fUB5bg

Beta's mean next to nothing right now, we all knew that when gamma hit this would happen!

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Too much land for too few players.

to much work and grind necessary to use the land availiable.

the space is enough for new player to expand into without running into vets everytime they enter the islands - yet PBS balance is made in favor of multiboxing vets, opposed to multiple player of any stage