Topic: Optimize loading of new things in detection range

If you have ever used a detector on gamma, you would know that the loading of many things at once that come in your detection range is very slow.

Likely, its a blocking operation to the client and the client can't continue with anything else till it is complete.

I propose a few optimizations:

1. Add a priority system, players should always load before structures.
2. Make the code non blocking and stream it in a series of many updates instead of requiring it all at once.
3. Don't immediately remove things from the client when they are outside of detection range, remove them after say 120 seconds. This is especially important when detecting. Of course, the location of said objects would not change until the server updates the client again but if they came back in detection range it would be easier for the client in theory.

Yes I suppose this could sometimes result in things not showing up for a few seconds on occasion but its better then the current situation of laggy death on gamma.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

2 (edited by Celebro 2013-01-13 21:53:39)

Re: Optimize loading of new things in detection range

In gamma using detector is an issue for me too. Not in any other Island type. Anything to optimize it, is welcomed. +1

RIP PERPETUUM

Yes!

+1

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I agree...

I like what your saying here along the lines of having them stay on radar.

This might be a good thing to do with JUST buildings, make them have a residual signature or something of that kind.  Thus they would stay on map for well over the detection cycle and not having to load them very time, or just don't load them over a certain range.

A overall +1

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

I agree...

I like what your saying here along the lines of having them stay on radar.

This might be a good thing to do with JUST buildings, make them have a residual signature or something of that kind.  Thus they would stay on map for well over the detection cycle and not having to load them very time, or just don't load them over a certain range.

A overall +1

sounds logical. most RTS games do not remove immobile objects from your view after lifting the fog of war around them at least once (at least those with the "transparent"  Fog of war)

but the whole thing is not only limited to gamma - with my rather slow DSL connection, it get similar problems on alpha or beta with many npcs around.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear