1 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-12-23 13:45:21)

Topic: Client Performance, why so bad?

I always wondered why a game such as Perpetuum with 2002 graphics has such a bad client performance. It's been like this since release. You tried to move over all load to GPU not too longe ago, but other than my GPU running at 100% load non-stop, performance is still ***.

It's unrealistic that I get only 60-100 FPS on my rig:
i7 920 @ 4.2GHZ
6GB RAM
GTX480 @ 900/2000/1800
128GB SSD

What's causing this? Is the game's engine you wrote that bad? Any way to fix this?

Please post your specs + FPS you get here.

Re: Client Performance, why so bad?

.gbf files, delete them

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Oh my. I set draw distance to lowest and everything else to max. Now the game runs at 100-150FPS. This is amazing.

DEVs, why is that so? Why does draw distance have such a huge impact?

Even setting draw distance to 1/4 reduces FPS by about 40.

Jasdemi wrote:

Oh my. I set draw distance to lowest and everything else to max. Now the game runs at 100-150FPS. This is amazing.

DEVs, why is that so? Why does draw distance have such a huge impact?

Even setting draw distance to 1/4 reduces FPS by about 40.

no LOD
enough said

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Actually the lack of LOD doesn't really factor into it, having LOD would make things even worse as it's a CPU side problem.

Two main things factor into this:

The first is that every object in the game world (a robot is made up of 20+ objects at minimum) has to be processed on the CPU side before it can be drawn. As this is the bottleneck and not the GPU drawing, adding LOD (a CPU side calculation) would only slow things further. A major rewrite of the artwork pipeline will be required to fix this issue - it's on the todo list.

The second is that the highest visibility setting draws EVERYTHING that can be drawn. Don't use that. It's there for screenshots.

Hotfix: Change Graphic Settings level to "Low", "Normal" and "Screenshot"

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

7 (edited by Burial 2013-01-05 16:27:11)

Jasdemi wrote:

I always wondered why a game such as Perpetuum with 2002 graphics has such a bad client performance. It's been like this since release. You tried to move over all load to GPU not too longe ago, but other than my GPU running at 100% load non-stop, performance is still ***.

It's unrealistic that I get only 60-100 FPS on my rig:
i7 920 @ 4.2GHZ
6GB RAM
GTX480 @ 900/2000/1800
128GB SSD

What's causing this? Is the game's engine you wrote that bad? Any way to fix this?

Please post your specs + FPS you get here.

Your GPU runs at 100% all the time unless you turn either Vsync on or the performance gets bottlenecked by something else.

The performance generally is good for me with lowered detail and two clients + other stuff in the background. I think the main issue is lack of optimisation.