Topic: Part 3 Of Tutorial Assignments

I am trying to do the 3rd part of the Tutorial Assignments and it's telling me to use the Directional Scanner to find Titan Ore. I have been following the arrows for about 4k now and headed all the way back. My assignment never updated and I never saw any (A) icon on my Radar to follow. I managed to find a titan ore node using the tile search on my own, but the assignment still doesn't do anything. Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Part 3 Of Tutorial Assignments

Did you do a directional scan until you got a red X on your scanner? Objective A should complete the moment this happens.

The objectives for this assignment are not shown on the radar because you have to find the location of the titan ore. It would be quite easy if the assignment would tell you beforehand smile

Do a directional scan on the Titan node you found the X will show, and you can continue the tutorial.

RIP PERPETUUM

So I should keep doing directional scans even if it takes me 5k+ away from the terminal?

You wrote "I managed to find a titan ore node using the tile search on my own", so the only thing you have to do is return there, and do a directional scan on top of a titan tile. Once you get the red X on the scanner the objective should complete.

I went 5k out and never found a red X

But you said you have already found titan. Stand on top of it, do a directional scan and you will get a red X.

Tried myself to make sure there is no bug or something but it works for me. Found a red X of titan some 4k away north-east of TM alpha.

@zoom: just to make sure - you checked this with the options a new player has? i.e. took an arkhe, at most a std. geoscanner and no extensions, with no insight where currently an ore field is so far?

I did check this problem under those conditions a few weeks ago - it was quite hard to find that X - because of the low accuracy I wasted over half an hour (don't know if that was before the patch that changed the range of X). Once I took Argano or a highet tiered geoscanner it worked fine enough, but you dont have this choice in tutorial.

It's not really a bug though...

DEV Zoom wrote:

Tried myself to make sure there is no bug or something but it works for me. Found a red X of titan some 4k away north-east of TM alpha.

did you try it out with your maxed out extension dev-agent and t4 geoscanner,
or did you try it out with a unskilled arkhe with syncrap or t1 geoscanner?

Patchnotes wrote:

Change: The success distance for directional geoscanning (the distance a mineral tile has to be to get a red X) has been reduced from 10 tiles to 5 tiles (~50m).

i think the distance is nowhere mentioned in either tutorial or scan-charge description. I guess that change was made to reduce the effect of geoscan accuracy on the location of the "X", but in the end, it also makes the new player wasting much more charges on a very long cycletime of the scanner, to just get the mission objective...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I would assume, OP has already gave up and quit in silence. sad

RIP PERPETUUM

I did it with a standard geoscanner but that shouldn't be the point here.
He said he already found titan, so the objective would be easy to complete for him.

what's really annoying is it won't let you move forward even if you've found the titan ore unless you "make an X"

Question is, how did you find titan if you didn't find an X? The answer to that would be a good pointer what we have to change in the tutorial.

I found it because I had one arrow pointing straight then I had another one pointing SW at the end of the first arrow, which told me it was close and I did a tile scan after that that revealed titan ore.  The directional scanner wants you to be exactly on the spot, and that's just silly. 

DEV Zoom...  I have to say seeing you post on here makes me want to subscribe just to support you guys.  It's pretty rare that developers actually care about the new player experience!

I see. Maybe the tile-scanning objective should trigger the directional objective too if it's not complete yet.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I see. Maybe the tile-scanning objective should trigger the directional objective too if it's not complete yet.

Maybe roll them all in to one part tutorial with directions about using directional/area/and tile scanners and have the criteria for completion be a tile scan of titan.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Sorry for the necromancy but this is still a problem nearly 1 year later. I started this mission thinking the objective was simply to find some titan ore so I puzzled out where a field was by watching the arrows, did a tile scan, mined some ore. Only when I returned did I realize I was stuck on the 'use the directional scanner' objective.

While I'm glad I was able to find this thread, saving me some frustration, I now have to trek back out to the ore node just to get my "X" to continue with the missions and if I could not have found this thread after some searches I'd have probably opened a ticket thinking the mission was bugged. Are you going to fix it? Seems a simple fix to have the tile scan with titan ore successfully advance the mission.

Seeing as this is a tutorial mission aimed at new players, additional frustration is NOT something you want them to experience.

Yes it's on our todo. Some players are just too smart for this mission smile

20 (edited by Shanila Zarco 2014-02-06 19:12:52)

Not that i ever did the mission mentioned in the OP, but i DID get into a situation where i was looking around to find Imentium.
After using a good 20 minutes with the standard scanner, i reached a point where i was given a northern arrow, and as i scanned at the end of that, i was given a southbound arrow, wich was overlaying the northern arrow.
Ran back and forth from arrowhead to arrowhead, and found no "X", BUT i did find what i was looking for, when i did a tilescan in the middle of the 2 given directions.

So, finding the ore you need, IS doable without having the directional scanner giving you an "X".
Also, when exploring like that, before one is given the mission, there is a chance that you allready have found the area you are requested to find, after wich you just go there and do a tilescan, and skip the directional, as you allready know where the location is :-/

EDIT: didnt notice the age of this thread o.O sorry for rez :-/

21 (edited by Goffer 2014-02-10 07:12:10)

Just a general hint for scanning:

Following the arrows is the easiest, but usually most useless task. Turn 90 degree from arrow for several 100m and rescan this results in your next scan providing a lot more information. But keep in mind, that sometimes two spots are next to each other and those 2 scans might locate to different spots in case you have the feeling there is something odd after the 3rd scan.

"Find Titan Ore!", - they said. "Pretty easy!", -they said.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086