1 (edited by Pewldo 2012-09-04 01:34:50)

Topic: Communication Options

Hey.  like this game, im a big fan of the sandbox mmo's, but i feel it lacks in social interaction, i find that only being able to speak with people in chat-rooms privat and public is a huge restriction, since i cannot say hello to a person i meet in the actual gameworld, which seem to make it harder for me to meet the people who are closest to where i am.   I know i could just PM them, but i feel that being able to write something out without asking for a privat audience is often a better way to meet new people in MMO's.

I am aware that this is Sci-fi and cartoon bubbles might not be appropiate if a game is striving to be realistic, but i think this is a mistake, because chat-rooms is not a direct part of the visual part of the game, and people like me who like to be social in the game invoirnment find that meeting new people is made harder, and a bubble design that where sci'fi'ish could prolly be drawn up.

This ofcourse also depends on the habits one has build up, if you come from a game like eve, you will feel right at home.  But comming from a game like UO where meeting people were almost exclusivly done in the visual part of the game, its a different story.

I think what am gettin at, is that opening up both options would make this game more attractive to different kinds of players. It dosent have to be bubbles at all, could be letters that looked like energy being transfered out from som kind of device. just some way for me to greet a fellow player i pass by on my way.

2 (edited by Hunter 2012-09-04 03:26:18)

Re: Communication Options

TL;DR: Need to implement balloons.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

A broadcast-type chat that works in a certain radius on the terrain is on our todo. Not sure about the balloons, here in the dev team we're also kinda divided about that. We'll see smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

A broadcast-type chat that works in a certain radius on the terrain is on our todo. Not sure about the balloons, here in the dev team we're also kinda divided about that. We'll see smile

If the balloon fans in the DEV team win can we please have an option to turn them off. If you're divided on the issue you can bet that we will be too.

how would someone who has turned the overhead messages recieve the messages then alternatively?

this topic is as old as the game is public big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

6 (edited by Arjha Shanoo 2012-09-04 12:14:10)

separate channel for local speech?
hm would rather like to have it shown in all active chatwindows with the two options 1) turn them completely off (like on/offline messages) 2) only show in GC

Edit: okay... being able to turn them off completely may be too much, even contraproductive if the features only used by half of the players or less

Annihilator wrote:

how would someone who has turned the overhead messages recieve the messages then alternatively?

this topic is as old as the game is public big_smile

In the usual way. Messages appear in a chat channel with the alternative option of having them ALSO appear as a balloon. Call it "Second Life with Robots" mode.

I just want to be able to right click a player in the game and have two options: Send Message, invite to squad.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

ah forgot to write it before
for me (since I dont like the idea of balloons in a game like this one) just having textlines in a good bright color (like green or yellow=normal speaking, red=shouting) above the bots would be completely sufficient.

Agreed with Arjha, no balloons, just text

Indeed, it could appear in that chatwindow that you have active at that moment, except PM windows (that would be confusing) with a different color or letter. This is also important for logging spam message for reporting. (chatlogs ftw.)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

My robot is not a person,i would hate to see a bunch of robots standing around chatting bubbles of text, next step then would be for robots to have emotes and literally do the robot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_iUHY8RBs

My Nationality: Swedish

My favourite Quote: "You can never be too rich or too thin, or have too much foreskin"
Letters of urology

-1 for bubbles +1 for Island local on alpha

RIP PERPETUUM

What about having Short range Communication window that will allow u to chat whit ppl that u can see on ur landmarks/radar maybe even have a Masker/detector value on it?

this way a detector or masker bot can be creapy big_smile

Can we also be able to separate chat windows to soon?