1 (edited by Lemon 2012-06-30 19:03:05)

Topic: Teleporter+Highway Balance

Today I will be talking to you all about teleporter Balance.

ATM This is a brief summary of the balance around highways from PvP island teleporters to terminals.

Beta 1: Have a highway on there alpha side gate leading to a internal TP with the exception of 1. Hershfield has 1.5 highways away from it 1 leading directly from the TP to the terminal and another from the closest TP to the terminal.

Hershfield in general is largely over highway covered. Unlike the majority of Alpha 2 islands where there is a Single internal with a highway to the terminal hershfield has a highway from each teleporters and multiple land routes back to terminal.

Also Tellisis is the only Alpha 2 that does not have a single highway that leads from a  internal up TO THE terminal.

There are many flaws with the current highway system but to summarize this post up we need a uniform law to follow with highways and there implementation on islands.

My belief is that Highways from Teleporters to internals  should be reservered for Alpha->Alpha Teleporters only. All beta connected teleporters should have no high way near them. A single internal should run to the Alpha main terminal.

Regardless of what is done, All islands highways should be equivalent.

Edit: Forgot the SS http://imgur.com/a/a1114#3

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Re: Teleporter+Highway Balance

in that other topic, someone wrote that the overlay looks like it was drawn by a 3 or 4 year old kid with crayon markers.

imho, the LAYOUT was done by the same kid...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

ms-paint* wink

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I don't use them I just drop a mobile tp and "BAM" I am there!

I know I am lazy.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

The question about balancing the number and usefulness of Highways is not easy, as it is connected with the question of general pathing.

On Hershfield the highways end near terminal, but due to labyrinth layout you will need roughly 2 min between Terminal and highway with larger bots. This way is needed to move far enough away from terminal to use mobile tp while on Tellesis and Shin you can drive quite fast away from terminal to use mobile tp.

So when balancing highway you need also to balance general island layout especially the part from alpha tp to terminal, but also to the beta tps.

For instance I consider the way hershfield initia and hershfield TMB as quite fast compared to all other routes from alpha2 terminal to beta terminal or outpost.

On the other side, don't balance too much, there should always be some differences to give people reason to choose one staging point over the other.
It should just be balanced enough for light bots as well as HM, to have no reason to change island color just due to path length.

I would like to replace all teleports with highways

Here a 2min MS-Paint job of where i think Highways are missing badly:
Attalica Highways

will add more islands as i get onto them.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

More highways, I support it.