Topic: On Collecting Player Bounties

I saw a discussion in general chat regarding a bounty system, and responded with an idea I've suggested before in other games. Dev Calvin said it sounded decent and asked that I post it here, so here it is.

To collect bounty from a target, you have to destroy something of value. For example, destroying an Arkhe would net you nothing, since they can be acquired for free.

The payout rate could be at approximately 75 to 80% of the value of what was destroyed, so blowing up a bot worth 1 million piloted by someone with a multi-million bounty on their head could net you 800,000 NIC, which would be subtracted from the total bounty amount. The rest of it would remain uncollected, for future battles.

The reason for the percentage of value is so that they can't destroy their own robots to clear away the bounty without suffering a financial loss in the process. This way a bounty is not a "gift to the offender" like it is in EVE Online, where they can simply kill their pod with an alt to collect the money. This way, there's a disincentive to claiming bounties on yourself, and it won't pay out a bounty that is higher than the value of the target.

Re: On Collecting Player Bounties

Sounds good to me.

I'd like to see this tied into the individual standings too somehow. Like, if you collect any bounty, it adds you to their friends list with red standings. This is basically just a shortcut, as the bountie'd guy can do that manually anyway - but with confusion of battle they may not have time or remember it correctly.

Should the 'target' be able to buy the bounty off and/or be immune for a time after the bounty is complete; not for weeks, just 24-48 hours to minimize the griefing potential?

What would determine the value of the bot being destroyed?  This sounds exactly like what got M2S into trouble the first time...... well, the first time after launch.

You apparently dont realize that the market value and the production value are very different, and can fluctuate greatly.  Facilities, skills, CT level, standings can all affect how much it actually costs to produce a bot/mech, so assigning a value based on anything but the market value would be a crap shoot at best.  We already know what happened when a bot value was gleaned from the market data.... (for those eve'ers that dont know, many people exploited the hell out of the insurance system because it was enormously overvalued)

Your reward for killing another player is the loss they suffer and the possible loot you gain.  Obviously, the higher tier equipment they fit increases the difficulty to kill, but also increases your loot value if you kill them.

I think the only way to introduce a bounty system is to have players set the bounties themselves, with a stipulation as to what bot type they are piloting when the kill happens.  Maybe even a corp-wide bounty as well.  These could be set fairly low because its more of a bonus to killing them than the entire reason, obviously to avoid exploitation (at least if you're not dumb)

->You just lost The Game<-

Assuming the NiC payout for the bounty will be based on the insurance payout, any instance when both combined cover the cost of the unfitted bot is open to exploitation.

But from looking at a glance at the market rates compared to insurance payout it would work at the moment.

Then you run into the issue where you bounty is in a Communist corp, where they paid 0 for the bot and fittings, and will pay 0 for a replacement. The corp may just kill that player multiple times in the cheapest thing, just to clear it. In any case, the bounty doesn't personally effect the player, just their corp.

All-4-1 corps are basically the standard at this point.

7 (edited by Khader Khan 2011-07-02 08:26:36)

Neoxx wrote:

I think the only way to introduce a bounty system is to have players set the bounties themselves, with a stipulation as to what bot type they are piloting when the kill happens.  Maybe even a corp-wide bounty as well.  These could be set fairly low because its more of a bonus to killing them than the entire reason, obviously to avoid exploitation (at least if you're not dumb)

Neoxx is on it have it as an internal corp function. Make it so you can't bounty your own corp members. But have it like the message board in the corps. As soon as a Kill mail from a corp member comes saying they snuffed target X they get the bounty purse. Any thing else and yeah it becomes a pirates way of making nic on himself just as in eve. My corp mate in eve was a pirate with a multi million bounty and he would hop outta the station and tell some one in the corp to kill him and donate the bounty to corp wallet.
We may see this in one of the patches up coming as they stated you will be able to make you own corp missions and set a completion payout. Don't think it would be a far cry to say it could be bring Kill mail from x player for 2 mill.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

I'm think of a bounty of "kill member of X corp in X bot type and recieve X bounty" that pays out for however much NIC they put up for it.  Internal corp bounties could be cool as well, but I'd doubt they'd need any more reason inside a corp to kill a corp enemy than the furthering of the corp anyway.

I do like the idea of seeking out players to get their bounties.  A kill in a heavy could easily pay 5-10mil NIC with the current market prices.  Obviously corp-wide bounties for lower level bots like assaults could be easier to find, but obviously less per kill.

Hell, I'd put up bounties myself on some random player just to see them squirm big_smile

Half their fittings drop as loot, if you get another 80% as bounty, then it is easy to exploit. Needs to be a 30% bounty.

Mouse Tiger wrote:

Half their fittings drop as loot, if you get another 80% as bounty, then it is easy to exploit. Needs to be a 30% bounty.

The bounty is based on the bot they are in, and the cost associated with it.  The fittings are irrelevant.  This calculated cost is not including the fitting cost, only the bot.

question: who is paying the "bounty" ?

if the npc corps paying a bounty for the kill of a player - that player must have a bad standing towards them, which would also mean, he is not under syndicate protection while on alpha.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Tallinu wrote:

I saw a discussion in general chat regarding a bounty system, and responded with an idea I've suggested before in other games. Dev Calvin said it sounded decent and asked that I post it here, so here it is.

To collect bounty from a target, you have to destroy something of value. For example, destroying an Arkhe would net you nothing, since they can be acquired for free.

The payout rate could be at approximately 75 to 80% of the value of what was destroyed, so blowing up a bot worth 1 million piloted by someone with a multi-million bounty on their head could net you 800,000 NIC, which would be subtracted from the total bounty amount. The rest of it would remain uncollected, for future battles.

The reason for the percentage of value is so that they can't destroy their own robots to clear away the bounty without suffering a financial loss in the process. This way a bounty is not a "gift to the offender" like it is in EVE Online, where they can simply kill their pod with an alt to collect the money. This way, there's a disincentive to claiming bounties on yourself, and it won't pay out a bounty that is higher than the value of the target.

I suggested this exact methodology to CCP years ago... '04 or thereabouts.  You can see how they've fixed their problem.  If bounties are to be issued then this is about the best method to make it work.
Also, if a bountied target is killed, their insurance pays the bounty first, with the remainder removed from their bounty.

13 (edited by Jurgen Haabermeister 2011-08-19 00:27:34)

+1
I like this. But to nullify the possibility of abuse i would make the payout rate even lower, 10-15% of the value that was destroyed. And, in case the bounties would be issued through npc coorporations, a small standing gain with that npc coorporation.

And max bounty amount that an issuer can place limited by the standing with the npc coorporation. And headhunting bonus extension connected to the payout rate.

Necro much?

Topic is dead its to exploitable. And I'm not gonna put a 100mill bounty on someone just so my corp/alliance will get some pocket change while we kill that person.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Khader Khan wrote:

Necro much?

Topic is dead its to exploitable. And I'm not gonna put a 100mill bounty on someone just so my corp/alliance will get some pocket change while we kill that person.

Hey, don't blame me for joining this game just a few weeks ago smile
And this feature would be perfect for solo/small corp rich industrialists driven by hate. Not someone with a large military power behind him.

At least THIS thread was necroed only by a month (not 6 like some people did before tongue)

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

You should give me a little credit for the effort of making a forum search for "bounty" , before posting a double thread. smile

Rise!

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

OMG great Necro powers!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Jurgen Haabermeister wrote:

You should give me a little credit for the effort of making a forum search for "bounty" , before posting a double thread. smile

Sorry, but I can't take this post seriously with your face looking the way it does hmm

21 (edited by Lemon 2012-06-15 06:05:48)

I wonder how high some of the bounties would be? yarr

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

-1 would rather have NPC bounties instead of that useless plasma crap.

RIP PERPETUUM

Although i like the plasma colours and it feels good to collect it somehow - NPC bounties would help beta farming a little bit. Your collected plasma (and everything else)  would be lost in case of getting killed on beta while farming  those nice spawns. Bounties - as an instant reward - are unaffected from your death.

Plasma should be something you scavange from dead robots - same for fragments.

they should not drop automatically and collectible by the combat mechs alone -> the combat guy should get a bounty.

BUT

not for semi-afk-farmable npcs spawns as we have them now.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Plasma should be something you scavange from dead robots - same for fragments.

they should not drop automatically and collectible by the combat mechs alone -> the combat guy should get a bounty.

BUT

not for semi-afk-farmable npcs spawns as we have them now.

FFS it's not about NPC bounty system so GTFO and stop highjacking the thread. Make your own.

Player bounties would add some spices to PvP. It would be a mechanic which wouldn't change anything major but would be fun.

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"