Topic: Terrain Gradient affect Robot Speed?

So i just had this as an idea, not sure whether or not it would be good so i thought i'd ask and see what people thought;

What if the gradient of the terrain had an effect on the speed your robot moved at? I.e. Going up a steep slope makes you slower, and down one makes you faster? Not by a lot, but by a small amount, proportional to how steep the gradient is. So going down a gentle hill could give you a +1% speed boost, whilst going up a very steep hill could reduce your speed by maybe -5%.

Personally i think it would add an extra strategic and tactical element to the game: A gang leader would need an awareness of terrain to minimize the gangs movement times and be most effective in PVP. It would add extra high ground advantage, as you could engage faster than the enemies attacking up the hill and making good decisions about where to engage an enemy could limit their ability to run away.

However for industrial players it would probably be annoying, so perhaps the effect could be much less pronounced on robots with wheels/catterpillar tracks than those with legs?

Anyway just a thought, curious to see what other people think. Obviously it could be a huge technical challenge to implement and therefore not be worth the time.

Re: Terrain Gradient affect Robot Speed?

was suggested before and I do like the idea I think it was said the server couldn't handle it or big challenge and not worth the time.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

3 (edited by Gemara 2012-06-13 10:52:06)

Ah Okay. Yeah now that i think about it constantly calculating the gradient each robot on the server is travelling at, and figuring out whether it's up or down (or more likely some crazy diagonal) would probably not be the easiest thing in the world. Shame though, could've been interesting.

EDIT: Maths wise i wonder if something along these lines might work: (Purely hypothetical)

Percentage Speed boost = -(dh/dt)(k)

(Where h is height, t is time and k is some constant to modify it to a usable number)

*0.03^1.03 (Hungarian Secret Math Coefficient) big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I think it already effect your speed, like when your trying to run down a high speed tackler and you meet this imaginary wall on the terrain, and you fuuu:fuuu::fuuu::fuuu::fuuu::fuuu::fuuu: your computer

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.