Topic: Client Needs Admin Privileges? Why?

After downloading the client, the installer asked for Admin permissions, fair enough.
But now every time I start Perpeetum.exe, it asks me for admin privileges.

How do I remove this?

(Games shouldn't need admin privileges to run)

Re: Client Needs Admin Privileges? Why?

Right click on the shortcut, click 'Run As Administrator'  -or-  you can click on 'Properties' then 'Compatibility' tab and check the box for 'Run this program as an administrator'

Never run into this problem though, but probably because I'm the only user on the computer.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Actually, you probably need to do the opposite of what he stated above, somehow "run as Administrator" is checked, this would always run the game as administrator (sometimes handy, but not for games usually) thus bringing up the permissions pop every time you open it, Windows does this mostly to make sure that you want to run a program that has access to most everything in your machine.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

The game need admin privilege because persistants data are not in "MyDocuments" you need admin privilege to acces to "program files" folder inside an app

Benos wrote:

The game need admin privilege because persistants data are not in "MyDocuments" you need admin privilege to acces to "program files" folder inside an app

if that is true, then installing the game in any other folder should do the trick, right?

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

Recognizer wrote:
Benos wrote:

if that is true, then installing the game in any other folder should do the trick, right?

No, the prompt will still be there cause the game is asking for admin privileges. You can make an elevated shortcut http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11 … reate.html

You can also use programs like "UAC trust shortcuts" to create the good shortcut

I would guess that the anti-cheat measure(s) that they are/will be taking require admin elevated processes running, similar to Punkbuster, etc..

Glow

This game has no need to run in elevated mode, or at least no reason i have found, and have been playing two accounts since beta without any problems, i have done nothing to the permissions on any Perp files.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

9 (edited by Zobot 2010-12-03 10:40:53)

So how do I remove the need for it to run in admin mode?

I installed it in my secondary drive ("d:\games") so it should not need access to "Program Files". Using Vista.:rolleyes:

Those of you who don't get the login, are you running your PC in admin mode from the moment you boot up?

why is this posted on bug section ? imo this should be on Q&A

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

Whenever I start Perpetuum, I get the User Account Control popup on my Windows 7 asking me to give Perpetuum administrator-level permission. Do I have something setup wrong? Does everyone get this? This is the only MMO that I have that does this.

*merged*

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

You can't do anything about it, this happens because the executable is not yet digitally signed.

14 (edited by Lightdrake 2010-12-18 01:54:42)

x

DEV Zoom wrote:

You can't do anything about it, this happens because the executable is not yet digitally signed.

Any idea when this is going to happen?

The account I always use on my home computer is not an administrator (by design)... and granting administrative privileges to a game... seems unnecessary. roll