Re: Walls; This is how I thought they would work.

My postulation wasn't that walls made STC go to beta. OMG Deja vu...

STC will hold or not on the strength of your players, walls don't defend SAPs.

Used strategically though, walls can give you an advantage against attackers, but you still have to have the manpower. This is true with or without decay or proposed 3k limits.

the first key mistake with walls was that you cannot shoot at them directly - because they could not fix that core game mechanic, that prevents you from shooting at plants, they have added bombs.

the second key mistake with walls is, the self-grow mechanic of them.

those two things need to be fixed for walls in their current, unrestricted form of placement. then you can also remove the decay effect as its just a stupid thing...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I understand the decay effect. If that wasn't there, and there was no limit on placement, after months of play you would end up with 95 walls per 21x21 with 1 tile open on a path all over an island, because there would be no reason to knock the rest of them down, and without upkeep, it wouldn't be an issue to spent 50B NIC on walls over a year; putting 1.8B nic worth of walls down in a week was just the start.

Annihilator wrote:

- that walls are using the plant-mechanics is the most logical solution for something of that kind.

Annihilator wrote:

the first key mistake with walls was that you cannot shoot at them directly - because they could not fix that core game mechanic, that prevents you from shooting at plants, they have added bombs.

the second key mistake with walls is, the self-grow mechanic of them.

those two things need to be fixed for walls in their current, unrestricted form of placement. then you can also remove the decay effect as its just a stupid thing...

So YOU can argue about 2 "key mistakes" that the devs made while implementing walls. YOU can say some of their ideas are 'just stupid", but I need to go make a game if i know better (or differently said STFU). Get down of your high horse Anni please....

The funniest thing is you essentially say mostly the same thing as i said just 6 posts after mine, while having contradicted it just 2 posts after mine. Show some consistency when you want to roleplay the "almighty spirit of gamedesign on the forum" type of guy.

But hey, seems we agree about the walls so... /thread for me.

back to OP:
in general the idea is not bad, but i would not agree with the outpost things.

i would bind walls not to outposts but to thething that we dont have atm. PBS!
so if you have a PBS you can place walls in a certain radius around it. that will help walling off entire ilands with 3km long walls. with PBS comes costs and maybe a special module that prevents the decay or baybe a slow self repair for the walls.

an additional feature that may be worth a thought (even if it makes no sense from the logical point of view) is to limit the number of connected wall segments to a fix number (not saying what the number should be). a wall only works when it closes the gap you want to be closed. if there is one hole then the wall is for nothing. so if you limit the total lenth of a wall your option for spamming will be limided, because you can not wall off too large areas on plain field. you can wall off on smaller gaps between mountains, or on strategic locations, but it will have its limits where and how it can be used. but that is just a thought.

Syrissa wrote:

back to OP:

so if you have a PBS you can place walls in a certain radius around it. that will help walling off entire ilands with 3km long walls. with PBS comes costs and maybe a special module that prevents the decay or baybe a slow self repair for the walls.

ya i agree with this. i thought it at the very least would be tied into territory control.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Arga wrote:

whatever, remove walls from beta and we can all just log out and wait until devs get gamma islands, instead of getting incremental new toys to keep everyone interested and playing while gamma islands are being developed.

Hm...Me thinks 62nd mentality has gotten to Arga.

What a shame.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

sad

I claim lack of sleep and work constantly interrupting me... and it was monday

Syrissa wrote:

back to OP:

an additional feature that may be worth a thought (even if it makes no sense from the logical point of view) is to limit the number of connected wall segments to a fix number (not saying what the number should be). a wall only works when it closes the gap you want to be closed. if there is one hole then the wall is for nothing. so if you limit the total lenth of a wall your option for spamming will be limided, because you can not wall off too large areas on plain field. you can wall off on smaller gaps between mountains, or on strategic locations, but it will have its limits where and how it can be used. but that is just a thought.

Yeah TBH the walls I think are better fit with the PBS system and not with the current outpost system.

But at least this was a good test for them before the PBS system is put into place. or not who knows...

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Arga wrote:

sad

I claim lack of sleep and work constantly interrupting me... and it was monday

I know those days. No worries it is all good my friend. smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23