Topic: Feedback

I have been playing for a mere two days now and want to give some first feedback. As a disclaimer I did play EVE Online in the past. My secret love has always been industry, but as I played right from launch I had enough skillpoints to also be good in the combat niches I specialized in. I was part of a small 0.0 alliance that basically had the only region open for the public running, and I turned away from EVE because the level of metagaming and foul play for the sake of winning (even when people would win by sheer numbers anyways) turned me off. Loosing our region wasn't a problem to me. Things like enemy players coming to our Teamspeak to sing and yell during combat ops was.

So, well, a lot of people seem to be complaining about Perp having a small comunity. Right now that doesn't bother me much. 2000 vs 2000 server crashfests were never my cup of tea. In addition you can earn a reputation in a smaller community more easily. From what I gather the economy has problems due to the player numbers, but I take the approach someone suggested on this board: we are the pioneers at the frontier. But to actually have an educated opinion I need to play longer first.

I love that I can actually manually move my little fellas around unlike in EVE. Great plus for me. I also love the graphics. Having played SWTOR, a 300 million dollar monster with low-res textures recently I really can't see any reason to complain in that department. Unlike other people I especially like the flora.

As I mentioned industry/crafting has always been my big love in MMOs. Unfortunately most games take a totally boring, casual approach of 'everyone can craft everything and everything is the same (plus crafted stuff is normally useless)'. The concept of reverse engineering, prototyping and manufacturing is great. The added layer of research via kernels is original and fun.
Probing for resources reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU), which was my all time favorite regarding crafting. From what I gather mineral positions are static - here I'd prefer that stuff spawns elsewhere after depletion to keep people (me) probing. Do plants actually seed and grow in new spots?

Today I tried artifact hunting, and that's really something that can keep me occupied for a long while I guess. The element of uncertainty what you'll find keeps me going.

What I don't like is the fact that assignments are static. Having to go to the exact same spot over and over again feels grindy. And that's a bad thing by default tongue

Can't say much about combat yet as my trusty Yagel with it's original crapfit(tm) isn't really any good for it. Same for PvP obviously.

Wall of text over - I just thought I'd add some positive feedback to this board or else interested players might think this is not even worth trying, which would be a shame. If you are sick of themepark MMOs that all just clone WoW anyways, give Perp a shot. I think it has a lot of potential, and if I am allowed one last time EVE comparison: that game started with a very small community, too, and people were prophesizing it's doom. Not everything always went smoothly there, but the fans and Devs stuck with it and made it a success. The original feature set of EVE wasn't great, and it took some years to grow to what it is now. I hope Perp gets that chance, too smile

Re: Feedback

Welcome to perpetuum!

I came here from EVE during the Incarna Exodus and support this game ever since. The PvP in Perpetuum has so much more depth then warp, approach, orbit, F1, align, warp that EVE looks like hello Kitty in comparison.
At a first glance the research system in Perpetuum looks like fun and different from everything else, but as soon as you get to the research of the good stuff, you will realise that it´s just a big "PITA-Grindfest" and not doable if you plan to stay solo.

When the DEVs pull off Player-Build-Structures any way like I imagine they will, it will make ANY other sandbox mmo look like a themepark...

Enjoy the game!

Welcome to project Perpetuum.

its nice that you like it. I hope you stay long and participate in all the nice politics here.

I do also hope that, like Ed already mentioned, after you have realised the big flaws with the crafting system, that you still stay in.

of 'everyone can craft everything and everything is the same

for perpetuum you have to rephrase that just to

After countless Kernels reseaerched, everyone can craft everything and everything is the same

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Thanks for the feedback and welcome!

Tharrn wrote:

From what I gather mineral positions are static - here I'd prefer that stuff spawns elsewhere after depletion to keep people (me) probing. Do plants actually seed and grow in new spots?

Yes, mineral positions are currently static, but random mineral spawns are on our todo, so that's going to get in eventually smile

Plants are semi-random. Every island has a fixed map of tiles where specific plants are fertile, so that doesn't change, but plants can randomly seed, spread and die among those suitable tiles.

Welcome Tharrn. Ignore the bitter raging that goes on these forums. 50% is pure bull crap lol & the rest is ppl QQing over nothing mostly tongue

As a player thats been around since beta testing i am still a firm believer this game has great potential. The only crappy thing is small dev team sad the great thing tho is theres a small dev team tongue & they are a dedicated bunch of people to this game.

perpetuum has some really interesting game play & features.

I like the indy system, yes it needs more things but its not a bad start. plants do move around after u kill em off but as the Zoom said.. each plant has areas it likes to grow smile
Ore used to be the same last i checked.. different ores would have a geographical location which they are more prolific in.
Like some ores are up in mountains & other on flat low lying lands. (PS devs keep that kinda system up even when u make the system dynamic. a little know how is always cool tongue )

the combat system is interesting to say the least. LOS / radar / keeping distance & many other factors make combat in this game very engaging for all every 1 in a squad.

Last but not least... tell all ya friends! smile

more targets is never a bad thing tongue

<3

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Thanks for the warm welcome. That's actually what I like about budding communities smile

Annihilator wrote:

After countless Kernels reseaerched, everyone can craft everything and everything is the same

Well, but someone specializing in production will be more efficient, meaning he can undercut the 'hobby manufacturers' and still make some profit. In themepark MMOs crafting is done on the side, I hope it's a viable niche here that rewards dedication (EP wise).

Or is the economy to small and unstable still to support that? The markets sure do look rather empty... which I am seeing as opportunities so far (could also be the naivity of the noob tongue).

Tl;dr

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

The market isnt as empty as it looks like - its rather the market interface that makes it look empty (tree structure...)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Excellant post Tharrn, and welcome aboard!

I believe you will also love the community in this game, and especially how hard the devs continuously work to make this game better and better.

Some of the best gameplay you have not tried as of yet....but believe you will like the NPC farming, beacon popping, and definitely pvp.  I would suggest you look into joining a corp that fits your needs to enhance your gameplay, knowledge base, and make a few friends along the way.  The monthly subscription fee is not much either compared to most (even FTP has costs involved)MMO games.

Once again, welcome to Perpetuum and enjoy!

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator