Topic: Scarab

Just got a scarab and took it out for a run, but when it stops it just drops to the floor and the landing legs dont come down and when it sets of again it doesn't rise like i would expect it to, it like one second its on the floor then the next its in the air.

Is there an issue with it? or is this only happening to me?

Re: Scarab

i guess the robot was so "rushed in" that the animation of it is still not perfect.

last time i saw one, the transition between float and rest position was almost non-existant.

perhaps the landing gear only deploys after while (like the sequer and lithus falling asleep after a while standing still)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The legs coming down is currently omitted by intent because there is a nasty bug with it.

The "one second its on the floor then the next its in the air" problem is in line with other robots' stop/go behavior and will unfortunately stay like that until we implement acceleration. Unless BoyC corrects me on this.

4 (edited by Alexander 2012-01-17 08:10:27)

DEV Zoom wrote:

The legs coming down is currently omitted by intent because there is a nasty bug with it.

The "one second its on the floor then the next its in the air" problem is in line with other robots' stop/go behavior and will unfortunately stay like that until we implement acceleration. Unless BoyC corrects me on this.

It's a shame that most games can smoothly transition between animations. I believe it's a very basic part of playing an animation that you can transition slowly while maintaining normal speed.

It'd look much better if animation transition from stop/go was added or increased to 0.5 seconds (That's apparently what a friend of mines adds for this walking animations (He does people thought). Otherwise the character is standing around looking bored and then suddenly swinging their arms about as they walk.

Unity wrote:

Animation Blending
In today's games, animation blending is an essential feature to ensure that characters have smooth animations. Animators create separate animations, e.g. a walk cycle, run cycle, idle animation or shoot animation. At any point in time in your game you need to be able to transition from the idle animation into the walk cycle and vice versa. Of course you don't want any sudden jumps in the motion, you want the animation to smoothly transition.

Unfortunately implementing better animation blending is one of the things that would require a major rewrite of the 3d engine. As you can imagine the animation system was one of the first things to be implemented about 5 years ago and just about everything in the 3d engine relies on it. This old architecture only supports blending between two animations at once and the current setup is the most we can make of that. As with everything else when working with such a small team we need to prioritize - the rewrite of the 3d engine that would be required to implement a proper animation blending pipeline with partially procedural animations would require about 4-6 months of work. We can bring the whole visual quality of the game to a whole new level with that amount of work, which is what we chose to do for now.

It's not urgent but certainly once we have Shader 3.0 it would be a good idea to work on the oldest code in the game, no? smile

Plan for the future and all that. No rush and it certainly would improve the games appeal to some but other things have priority. smile

Yes, rewriting the animation system is on the todo of course, and has been for a while. The current new animations are a way we found to fix the biggest animation issue without having to go into a 6 month coding session, but at one point it will have to be done. For now we can do a lot more visually with comparatively much less work.

until you can rewrite that code, i would suggetst that you make the scarab floating in same hight, no matter if its standing still or moving,

and like i wrote at the beginning - let it land as "idle" animation only.

The transition between idle and moving would be still to fast, but at least you dont get it everytime you stop.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Not that big of an issue for me, scarab looks cool as it is. Priority now is getting more end game tools and sand for us to play and attract new players.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Not that big of an issue for me, scarab looks cool as it is. Priority now is getting more end game tools and sand for us to play and attract new players.

Yes. I agree. I just wanted to point out that in the future it would be good to have an engine with more features as they could make the game better but not now of course.