Topic: 5 hours to download, 10 min in game to get frustrated, done.

Improve the starting experience of your game and you may retain more people.

2 (edited by Arga 2012-01-05 22:51:10)

Re: 5 hours to download, 10 min in game to get frustrated, done.

Could you be a little more specific? 10 mins isn't a lot of time to get the hang of new game.

Edit: New installs of the game only takes me > 30 mins to download from the USA West coast, so I would say 5 hrs is not typical.

I'm on the west coast too, fast connection etc. another friend had the same issue yesterday.

I did not get the hang of the game in 10 minutes, I received an experience I perceive as indicative of the rest of the game.

Bye bye.

It's a shame you're not happy with the game and it's understandable why you're going about voicing your concerns in a brash way.

I agree that the new player experience needs some work and their method of serving the game client could do with being hosted on a better connected server. The game client is tiny compared to other games but serving it at slower speed (Even between Euro to Euro countries) defeats the point of having such a compressed game file.

We've seen before that hosting the same files on faster servers speeds up the installation process 10x fold if not more. It's a shame that the server max upload limit to clients is low compared to other business connections.

To Devs: Is there any way that the patching serving could be hosted by cloud storage or some other means that would make the patcher faster and if the connect to this third party system fails it reverts to using the much slower server connection speed?

5 (edited by Gremrod 2012-01-05 23:20:43)

EhJay wrote:

I'm on the west coast too, fast connection etc. another friend had the same issue yesterday.

I did not get the hang of the game in 10 minutes, I received an experience I perceive as indicative of the rest of the game.

While I am not sure about you download speed of the game, I can say that the game don't usually take 5 hours to download. Like Arga said, it should only take about 30 minutes.

I would take some more time with the game. Read some of the guides. Visit blogs and wikis.

If you need help ask in the help or General Chat channels. The community is always willing to help new players.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

5 hours isn't really typical, not sure why you and your friend are experiencing that. Heck, I downloaded SWTOR at 10+ G in 5 hours, needing to wait that long for Perp would be enough to turn me off; AC needs to look at their download servers and see if there is something on thier end limiting transfer speeds.

Without knowing what happened, its hard to tell if your experience is truely indicaitve of future game play. But I can say that the Perp environment isn't very forgiving, and while most of the community and players are helpful, griefing happens alot in sandboxes and the starter areas more so.

The download time was just a minor annoyance, but definitely should not have happened.

I should mention the people, as they were more than helpful, offering advice left and right, unfortunately most of the advice was a little too advanced for someone new to eve/perpetuum.

I understand its a complex game, fantastic, I prefer that, and I probably have a lower tolerance for frustration and annoyance than most.   A multitude of smaller things in the tutorials just added up to a point where I didnt see the future game being fun, like having to walk around an entire building to prove I knew how to control my bot.

And now I cant seem to find the edit button on the forums here?

EhJay wrote:

And now I cant seem to find the edit button on the forums here?

bottom right of post between Report and Quote.

Trial accounts may not have editing?

Oddly enough, the missions, which are basically the advanced solo-game PVE content, are very similar to running around a building... very astute observation smile

Perp isn't for everyone, not trying to sell you on it, but I mentioned this in another post. If I hadn't joined a corp 12 months ago as part of my first experience, I probably wouldn't have made it through the first month either.

This is especially true if you new players are looking at pvp combat. EP barriers aside, the shark tank that is beta isn't solo-ranger friendly. Smaller groups can have some good fights, even with low EP, but solo low EP players are going to do either a lot of running or a lot of dieing (sp? doesn't look right)

Alexander wrote:

To Devs: Is there any way that the patching serving could be hosted by cloud storage or some other means that would make the patcher faster and if the connect to this third party system fails it reverts to using the much slower server connection speed?

For torrents and file sharing I have a gigabit connection I could use.

EhJay wrote:

The download time was just a minor annoyance, but definitely should not have happened.

I should mention the people, as they were more than helpful, offering advice left and right, unfortunately most of the advice was a little too advanced for someone new to eve/perpetuum.

I understand its a complex game, fantastic, I prefer that, and I probably have a lower tolerance for frustration and annoyance than most.   A multitude of smaller things in the tutorials just added up to a point where I didnt see the future game being fun, like having to walk around an entire building to prove I knew how to control my bot.

Well if you are interested taking a longer look at the game myself and Alexander run a new player corp. See the last link line in my signature or just join the "PPAT Public" channel in game.

We should have  TS 3 server set up pretty soon. I might even have it up and running tonight.

Joining a corp is pretty mandatory to having a good time, it's a sandbox afterall.

I don't remember the tutorial much (been playing 3 weeks) but that was probably because I was just so amazed by the music it made me fall in love with the game tongue

Hope to see you around if you decide to give perp another chance ^_^

30 minutes or so to download and install I think it was...?

8 days having fun on the trial...

Now subscribed and running 2 characters!

It's all in your perspective and outlook on things!  I'm having fun!

:-)

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I signed up 3 days ago, Sunday night (January 8th, 2012) and it took me approximately 30-45 minutes from the time I downloaded the executable to signing into the game for the first time.
I live in the Midwest with cable internet. In fact, it's not even the fastest package from my ISP.

I can understand your frustration with the first 10 minutes of game play but to be honest it is not nearly enough time to really feel the game. You have to remember, this is a Sandbox, not a Themepark MMO. It's going to feel very different than what you may be used to and the developers are attempting to help you acclimate through that unfamiliarity.

Again, I understand your frustration, there are a lot of unfamiliar windows popping up everywhere and taking up your screen. The controls are not familiar. The graphics are choppy (turned down for low end machines, beautiful when the anit-aliasing and antistropic are turned up in the options menu). There are no friendly NPC's guiding you on what to do, etc.

If you give it a chance to acclimate, you will understand that there is more to the game than the first 10 minutes. I'm still on the starter tutorial as well, but I'm an ex-EvE player so I know that there is a vast game play experience at the end of the tutorial tunnel.

Make it through the tunnel, join a Player corp, give it the 14 days of free time and then decide. One of the greatest differences between a Themepark game and a Sandbox is the "Multi-player" part of "Massive Multi-player Online". I'd hate for you and your friend to miss out on what can potentially be a genre of MMO of which you may really enjoy.

I was on when the OP started. If I remember his first question was "how long till I pvp?". I do understand that pvping is fun but go play call of duty if you just want to log in and pvp. Mmo,s are not like that. Have to keep in mind that most mmo's made these days are a hand holding session. I found you learn the basics on the tutorial and if he made it to the forums to rant he was only a click away to the resources and guide section. It took me 2 different times to play eve, but I just sat down and said, damn it I'm going to learn this and was reading every guide I could find. A week later I was like damn this is actually easy. Then you start learning about the more indepth parts of the game, which is the best part of sandbox games.

I was on when the OP started. If I remember his first question was "how long till I pvp?". I do understand that pvping is fun but go play call of duty if you just want to log in and pvp. Mmo,s are not like that. Have to keep in mind that most mmo's made these days are a hand holding session. I found you learn the basics on the tutorial and if he made it to the forums to rant he was only a click away to the resources and guide section. It took me 2 different times to play eve, but I just sat down and said, damn it I'm going to learn this and was reading every guide I could find. A week later I was like damn this is actually easy. Then you start learning about the more indepth parts of the game, which is the best part of sandbox games.

Well. In WoW, you can flag up as level 1 and go out and pvp. And that's just about the same experience you'll have in Perp flaggin up on alpha. You can get your arkhe blown up as many times for free as you want, withing minutes of joining the game.

If you want to actually PVP, even in theme parks, you have to get to a certain level and put in some effort to gear up. Of course, in Perp, when you lose you have to go buy all new stuff, but the scenrio is otherwise the same.

As Kuo says, this is MMO. So your PVP experience is going to be different than F2P online FPS games.