Topic: Development is too slow

Subscribed a year ago, development is too slow, I am taking a break. I didn't come here as an investor, just as a player looking for entertainment.

A year is a long time supporting a game with the hope of having promised features and more players: Sand and more tools like terraforming, POS, artillery and many others. Alliance and corporations features, and far more land mass is needed. Not some bots walking like bambi, a graphics updated (coming soon) and an intrusion tweak and 1 new bot per year( Mk2 don't count they are the same).

AC needs to get their priorities straight and start putting all their resources in what is needed now; 1-2 DEVs creating content is not enough.

I am still hoping for the best, I am just not enjoying the game anymore.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Development is too slow

Celebro wrote:

Subscribed a year ago, development is too slow, I am taking a break. I didn't come here as an investor, just as a player looking for entertainment.

A year is a long time supporting a game with the hope of having promised features and more players: Sand and more tools like terraforming, POS, artillery and many others. Alliance and corporations features, and far more land mass is needed. Not some bots walking like bambi, a graphics updated (coming soon) and an intrusion tweak and 1 new bot per year( Mk2 don't count they are the same).

AC needs to get their priorities straight and start putting all their resources in what is needed now; 1-2 DEVs creating content is not enough.

I am still hoping for the best, I am just not enjoying the game anymore.

Well more land mass is not needed if the game needs more players. 40 updates not including patching etc is a lot for one year.

DEVs don't create content for sandbox games, players do. DEVs create tools etc. to be played with in the sandbox.

Celebro, I hope to see you back soon.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Thanks Gremrod, by content I meant tools and more sand sorry.

I don't agree with you that more landmass is not needed. Even with the doubling of the game world earlier this year and a low population it was the best update to date and made me stay after the mining nerf. Players are attracted to large game worlds, even more so in a sandbox, but to have more players you need more space , so that players can create content.

Can I ask how players can create content, with no POS, limited corporation features and no alliance features at all?

RIP PERPETUUM

4 (edited by Gremrod 2011-12-29 20:45:52)

Celebro wrote:

I thought you meant that, but you know how I am. Always correcting things IMO. smile

Celebro wrote:

I don't agree with you that more landmass is not needed. Even with the doubling of the game world earlier this year and a low population it was the best update to date and made me stay after the mining nerf. Players are attracted to large game worlds, even more so in a sandbox, but to have more players you need more space , so that players can create content.

I agree it was a great patch. But is the current landmass being used fully?

Celebro wrote:

Can I ask how players can create content, with no POS, limited corporation features and no alliance features at all?

While I agree that more tools will help players create more content, I think content has already been created with the current tools in game.

Chat channels used by multiply entities (corps) forming their own alliances. Player driven alliances. They did it without an alliance feature. Yes it would be easier with built in tools, but these alliance tools not being presant in game didn't stop alliances from forming.

Players that create player ran pvp matches with only the tools in game. (62nd did this every Sunday for sometime.)

Corps, creating secure mining of epi on some beta islands for people that don't have combat chars for a small fee being some of the epi they mined while being protected. ( I believe 62nd did this for a bit and some other corps. )

The politics between all the power corps is content and is all created by the players.

I am sure there is more.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

the expansion of the landmass came together with
- increasing the radar range of some bots by a factor of 2.5 and
- increasing the overall movement speed of scouts by ~10 kph.

Also the new islands got placed inbetween the old ones, with many teleporter connections.

If you combine those facts, you will see that the game world didn't really grow that much. There was no new "layer" added, no grey zone that is necessary for a transition between alpha (100% protection) and beta (0% protection)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

A larger game world is not about the area being used fully. It creates distances for a more dynamic player market,  more choices for players to explore and live the experience. A sense of a world waiting to be discovered or conquered. Empty landmasses is also useful as a buffer and safety on beta.

The player created content so far has not been able to retain enough players and the examples you mention, has probably been done before in other mmo's, and discontinued due to how much time an effort it takes to create content by the player.

Agree with Annihilator, game world has not grown that much if you take account those factors, even though it made the game so much better.

So many updates with tweaks, nerfs,buffs and some tools/sand during the first half of this year then it slowed quite a lot if you have not noticed during the end. With such a limited staff why make a tourney island? For such cheap instant gratification, that does not last for long and does not help the game long term.

RIP PERPETUUM

7 (edited by Alexander 2011-12-30 00:25:11)

Burn it to the ground and start again.

Joking aside I feel the devs need to be given a little more respect. They are a small team working to create something professional. There in lies their problem. They should not be acting professional. They've made more red tape for themselves and slowed down progression. They stopped making their game, so I see it, some time ago and have since been reacting to players.

Perhaps the devs have made the game they set out to make and are now lost as to what to do. Perhaps their content creation tools are slow and are taking too long or they've simply lost the fire to create.

It's strange that when they put their mind to it great progress was made and now they're just spinning their wheels.

I feels they're too scared to change set in stone mechanics. They've lost their spark or it at least feels like it to me.
If they want to add major big features they're going to have to break a few walls or rip up some old carpet.

If they want to make a sandbox world they need to make one that the players is eased into rather than dropped off and then made to walk the last mile home.

I will not give up on Perpetuum but it's either a reboot of the game or a reboot of the devs. For the time being I'll stay here. I'll keep my three accounts alive and active but I'll play something else.

Perpetuum has to story and the only story players can make is "Today I shot some robots/tiles. It was good/bad".
Let Perpetuum create a living history. Outpost ownership history. In-game kill boards. Unique modules (Corporation tagged modules). Stop NPC dropping T1 loot so that players have to make it.

I want to feel like everything I have isn't just pixels but each module has a story. I want to look at what I have and not see asset values but sand in a sandbox.

I like that we can focus on NIC per hour and corporation structure but currently that's all we have.

This game has lasted 1 year on 6 months of content. 6 months of content got extended to perhaps 8 months..
That's not bad when most games will run out of content in 3 months.. However for the style of game play, there should be no content limit. Run out of content, players should make their own.. We can't even make assignments for other players. Traders go unrewarded as we have no idea who supplied the blackhole called the market. Players aren't invited in at all. They're shown a curtain and told that what's behind it is awesome but aren't allowed to look for at least a few weeks.

8 (edited by Sundial 2011-12-30 05:26:58)

We can and have made our own content, but when you never have any new kind of tools, it gets old eventually. Need new tools in the sandbox. Need things to be shaked up.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

9 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2011-12-30 13:42:27)

Gremrod wrote:
Celebro wrote:

I thought you meant that, but you know how I am. Always correcting things IMO. smile

Celebro wrote:

I agree it was a great patch. But is the current landmass being used fully?

atm no its not but IMO the land mass we have atm is poorly set out out. as it stands right now this game land mass could take only 400-600 players. MAYBE 800 during peak times.

The way the islands are placed i think has been poorly thought out. there needs to be buffer islands between the main beta islands... aka islands with out any stations on them.

The game world can only support 3 power blocks maybe 4. And they will be at each others throats 24/7being so close to each other. good for pvp yes bad for longer term economic stability.

EVE had the right idea. build a Sh*t load of space & let the players fill it up over time.

Gremrod wrote:
Celebro wrote:

While I agree that more tools will help players create more content, I think content has already been created with the current tools in game.

Chat channels used by multiply entities (corps) forming their own alliances. Player driven alliances. They did it without an alliance feature. Yes it would be easier with built in tools, but these alliance tools not being presant in game didn't stop alliances from forming.

Players that create player ran pvp matches with only the tools in game. (62nd did this every Sunday for sometime.)

Corps, creating secure mining of epi on some beta islands for people that don't have combat chars for a small fee being some of the epi they mined while being protected. ( I believe 62nd did this for a bit and some other corps. )

The politics between all the power corps is content and is all created by the players.

I am sure there is more.

I have to disagree to some point gremrod. Yes players have managed to make alot of content in this game over the past year but remember this. It was the EVE crisis 5 months ago that gave this game a shot in the arm. A damn lucky shot i think to. If it hadn't happend im sure poo would be hitting this games proverbial wall a number of months ago.

So that says to me the games current ability to drive & MAINTAIN player driven content isnt enough. Because its not sustainable. 

I have 2 accounts about to expire next month & i have to say im probably going to follow Celebro's lead. Ive been  around over 1.5 years many awesome things have come in but the big ticket items ive been waiting for .. well i dont think we have even had a dev blog about them in 8+ months.

theres no game advertising only word of mouth sure that works but have the devs said why they dont put ads up? NO. they could have done a slightly better job on that front.

Content they said would be in by the end of this year isnt. In a DEv blog the devs sent out way back in February has not happend. Does that bother me ? not really actually. what bothers me is not even a small bit of news is sent out to say " hey guys were still doing these things but we are going to take a bit longer".

their communication  can lack alot. And i dont mean thru comments on the forums. Dev blogs are there for a reason & we know they have no issue just making small blogs to update us on things they r doing.

*rant off* fuuu

edit: i agree with what Alexander said 100% but unlike him avatar creations isnt a charity that i give my money away to smile Perpetuum is a game & its a game that right now is being of the lame. freighter bots dont make content tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

one thing i can say about perp is - unlike other hyped games the DEV team did not shrink after release, but it wasnt big to begin with.

usually, you got a big DEV team, working on one title, bring it into beta, then rushed into release and cut down the team to a core group for fixing bugs, because the desired content is in to keep the game on the shelfs long enough to make profit from selling the boxes. The remaining team is paid by the income from subscriptions.

Here you got a small DEV team to begin with, no boxes to sell and noone rushing them, except the playerbase that can finish up the released content WAY faster then they can even think of new stuff, not talking about implementing it.

Example are the hand made Missions... i think newer beta island dont even got missions yet, 6 month after they got implemented. I think a gamestudio aiming for a big scale game like perpetuum should be, has a mission team just of the size of avatar creations ...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

they built this game with the hope that someone would come in and buy it off them. I don't think they had any intention of running it as a going concern.

Tonnik wrote:

they built this game with the hope that someone would come in and buy it off them. I don't think they had any intention of running it as a going concern.

You have any evidence for this at all?

Shaedys wrote:
Tonnik wrote:

You have any evidence for this at all?

Its Jita...he knows nothing.

I'm awesome...I have your evidence...just ask me about it.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

sorry binary, who's alt are you again? I dont have any proof, just a feeling I have really, coming from their adverts for publishers that have been there for some time and the lack of a coherent plan for making the game work long term. I don't think that its a bad thing, its just sad nobody has stepped forward to do it as the current team haven't the resources to make the game viable imo.

At this late stage they have two options I would like them to consider exploring.

The first is player investment. Since beta players have been offering to make an investment in the company. A thousand here and there maybe but it adds up and with reasonable terms I think they could raise a couple of hundred thousand. By reasonable terms I would mean no dividend and a percentage of the company with a 5 year buybuck.

The second is in some sort of affiliate scheme. Internet nerds with kickboxer girlfriends and ferrari's (like me ofc) would relish the opportunities to show their adwords fu. Set up a 20% take of the prospects monthly time fee and bringing in players becomes a second job for people. It costs the company virtually nothing and can be modified or withdrawn any time. The downside ofc is that 40% of the server isn't dumb as a brick and would do it for themselves but there are ways to prevent that. Right now they could add 1k players and keep the same overhead. The opportunity cost of NOT doing this is great.

Tonnik wrote:

sorry binary, who's alt are you again?

HEHE...just remember little Jita I know who you are...it doesn't matter who or whom I am.

Just matters that you don't know...but please remember my numbers are everywhere.  Watching.

The great thing is...its not your call to do with the game...its there baby...if they want to see it die...so be it.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

That's constructive, thanks for your input.

Tonnik wrote:

Is there any facts what proving your statement directly ?

Tonnik wrote:

That's constructive, thanks for your input.

No problem...is there anything else you wish to troll around about?

I'm a number of many talents, just ask and you shall receive.

BTW, how is the rebuilding of Joke going?
Still a Joke?

Just Sayin