Topic: New devblog: Terrain sneak peek

DEV BoyC is still busy with the new terrain engine, check out his progress on the new screenies!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … neak-peek/

Re: New devblog: Terrain sneak peek

really nice progress.

i wonder if theres any progress with the night setting, as its the worst looking time ingame, even on maxed settings

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Yes, make those plants glow at night like in the Avatar movie. Can't see them too well at night when harvesting.

RIP PERPETUUM

The rework of the lighting is still ahead of us, but it definitely needs improving too, yes. One thing we already solved is to have shadows at night as well.

shadows at night... omg, i dont know how long i have been waiting for that (ok, since i started almost exactly 2 years ago...)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

This is not what Perpetuum need now... We need content for new players...

IzPodViPodVerta wrote:

BoyC doesn't do content, he does graphics.

Shaedys wrote:
IzPodViPodVerta wrote:

BoyC doesn't do content, he does graphics.

Damn you beat me too it neutral

But Yes BoyC is a graphics engine designer and has been sinse I was talking with him in Beta about how he was building the Perpetuum engine.

I agree there is a need for more content to encourage people new to the game to stay as well as attract new people to the game but that is a seperate item.

As long as the new engine does not kill the graphics cards in our machines I welcome the upgrade and I am glad to see BoyC is still at it..

smile

The avalanche has started it is too late for the pebbles to vote

Well one of the import things to remember about a team of developers is the fact that you have different people working on different sections of the game at the same time.

Since BoyC is the graphics engine guy, I doubt he would be doing content.

Also because they are showing casing one team members hard work in the DEV Blog doesn't mean no one isn't working on new content.

I hate to really say content for a sandbox game. I would rather say tools and more sand for the box rather than content.

But I guess you can wrap tools and sand in one word (Content)?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Annihilator wrote:

shadows at night... omg, i dont know how long i have been waiting for that (ok, since i started almost exactly 2 years ago...)

Honestly, shadows dont matter.  No offense but they look goofy and mechanical in this game and get annoying to watch them pixilate or whatever blocky movement effect they go through.  Also shadows is often the most turned off graphical effect in any game.  I turn them off in almost any game, even games where the look fantastic.

If we were going to develop fluff game effects, getting that new shader, animations, and more easy listining hungarian techno beats would be appreciated by all.  Not sure why i like the music in this game but i do and the second thing ill turn off after shadows in most games, but not this game, love the music.

I will say, that for as small of a game as this is, and for as small of a company as this one is (still remember the photos of the team and its launch party)...for a bunch of scrubby lookin dudes you all are putting some very large and cash heavy companies to shame with this little game, even if the games activity is small right now.  This is comming from someone whos been though a lot of beyond *** mmorpg attempts and a whole bunch of fail sandbox attempts.  Lot of the sandbox competition out there is years ahead of this game but isnt anywhere close to as playable as this game was even at launch.  Think that makes up for the *** shadows comment.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

IzPodViPodVerta wrote:

Dont ask the baker for milk.  Instead enjoy the tasty bread. You will hopefully sooner than later taste the good milk.

Stranger Danger: I'm also looking into making the shadows better - that subject is still heavily in the research phase. One of the key points I'm looking at with each technique I try is that the performance should not suffer and most shadowing approaches I've checked that would actually be an upgrade don't fit that bill. However with the shader 2.0 limitations lifted my hands aren't as bound as before wink
But yeah as many people said I don't create content, I create the code that displays the content, so don't worry - the content guys are very hard at work on the new stuff.

You say the project is designed to take stress of CPUs and put the strain on to GPUs but even the terminal uses around 5% of my overall CPU power while it uses around 25% of my GPU.

I don't mind more stress being put onto my GPU however when and if I want to run more clients with a lower/limited graphical setting will this be possible. "Simple Terrain" for example" or just a "Low Detail Mode" which lowers all renderer settings.

Most of the time I'll be enjoying these new views but sometimes I do need my computer to be doing other things. Perpetuum is very much "Sit in a window looking pretty" when I am not engaged in combat.

You're talking about several different things here smile
One is the client's performance requirement while not active (when you're doing other stuff) which we already regulate, but from what I've seen in other games we could go as far as dropping the framerate to 10-15 fps in this case - this can be implemented as a client option if needed.

Then there's the terrain vs terminal performance discrepancy vs having multiple cores in your machine. The way the graphics pipeline works is by first doing stuff on the cpu to prepare the scene to be rendered by the gpu. While the cpu is working optimally the gpu is drawing the previous frame, but if the cpu side is taking too long the gpu just idles waiting for things to do. In the case of the terminal the cpu has very little to do except drawing the interface, so the gpu becomes the bottleneck. On the terrain however we need to process many thousands of items in the scene graph (animating the whole scene etc) which takes a lot of time.
On most systems we've tested if we calculate everything we need on the cpu side just "fail" to send it over to the gpu, we get a framerate increase of about 5-10%. If we remove the cpu side work from the engine as well, we get 500-1000% increases. This means that the drawing part on the gpu (the fancy new terrain shaders for example) doesn't really matter in the performance because the gpu is waiting on the cpu anyways. The systems that don't behave like this are those that have gpus on the lower end of the scale coupled with relatively high performance cpus - mobile devices mostly, like laptops and such.
Also, due to the nature of scene graph traversal and the architecture of our engine the 3D engine's cpu part can only use a single core in your pc.

The new terrain engine actually removes most of the associated load on the cpu side while moving around and thereby makes things a lot more even. My aim is that the performance of the game is actually increased from these changes.

What????????

Better graphics and a performance increase?????????

You sir shall be shunned by every other game dev in the known universe for this blasphemy!!!!!!!

On a serious note:

THANK YOU!

New graphics are looking great.

Inappropriate signature.

Stranger Danger:

"I will say, that for as small of a game as this is, and for as small of a company as this one is (still remember the photos of the team and its launch party)...for a bunch of scrubby lookin dudes you all are putting some very large and cash heavy companies to shame with this little game, even if the games activity is small right now.  This is comming from someone whos been though a lot of beyond *** mmorpg attempts and a whole bunch of fail sandbox attempts.  Lot of the sandbox competition out there is years ahead of this game but isnt anywhere close to as playable as this game was even at launch.  Think that makes up for the *** shadows comment."

Still Perpetuum one of the best Sandbox MMORPG's in market! (afaik, but not soo far my know about it)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Wow, looks great. Nice job!

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

as a sidenote: shadow =/= shadow .
even if you deactiave shadows completely, you still get at least phong shading during day, but you dont get it at night. i count this to "light & shadow" which the game lacks, especially at night.

also the game has only 1 lightsource active (sun), and a fake light around your robot at night (the only thing often that tells me that its actually night, and not only fog). The lack of individual light sources like laser, explosion or struktures makes the game look plain and outdated for about 50% of the playtime, if not more counting bad "weather" situations.

having "hard" shadows casted from such individual lights is a completely different topic but is something that should be "common" option to activate nowadays (i remember, Diablo2 which is now 11 years old had that already, even though its a 2D-game)

Just in general, the bleak terrain is OK as an environment, but detailed bleakness is better. I'm hoping this also extends to terraforming too, where it may be possible to not only change the height of the tile, but the textures too.