1 (edited by Neijek 2010-12-06 18:43:55)

Topic: Smart Reloading (for dev gargaj - an all)

The problem:

When mining (im sure this is true for fighting as well) you usually turn on multiple weapon slots (my case right now, 3 mining modules). Each loaded with 45 ore charges for the same type of ore. This is to maximize cycle time and mining time (true for combat of course 3 turrets firing would at the same time work better then 1 no tongue).

When all 3 finish at the same time, the FIRST one that is automatically reloaded grabs the first set of "45 charges" (in the case of a mining module i use, with turrets it could be 200 ammo..etc. ).

If i had only 30 charges left, my first slotted mining module would take the 30 i had left, leaving my last 2 modules to just sit there and do nothing as my first module continues to mine (same thing for fighting, your first wep would of taken the last of ur ammo while the 2 other turrets do nothing).

The solution:

Enable a right clicked check box for each module, call it "smart reloading" or "neijek's loading" hehe.

When enabled, if a module is due to "reload", it would first check any other module with this check box "enabled".

If it found that the second or third module has this check box enabled and is using the SAME ammunition, and is "active", and upon reload of wep 1, wep 2/3 would be left with no ammo/charges then it will divide the amount of charges it takes by the amount of of weapons active with this check box enabled and thus leave those modules with charges/ammo left to be used.

Example:

Module 1 = 1 charge /max 45 left - active - smart reload
Module 2 = 2 charges /max 45 - active - smart reload checked
Module 3 = 2 charges /max 45 - active - smart reload checked
Cargo hold 30 charges

*Module 1 = reload cycle ->
*check smart reload = (found module 2/ module 3)
*check max charges of module 1 = 45 
*if ">" cargo hold charges (30) then
*divide by found modules "active" (module 1 and module 2 and module 3)
*reload (thus reloading just 10 charges)
*Append script in memory so "smart reload" will load 10 for module 2 and 10 for module 3 as soon as they are due for reloading.

In case module 2 or 3 have > charges found in cargo hold (so if module 2 had 43 charges  loaded into it, then module 2 would be taken out of the equation. so in the scenario above module 1 would reload 15 charges, leaving module 3 with 15 as well).

*This is only true IF more then 1 module has "smart reload" checked and if they are already loaded with the SAME type of charge/or ammo. This way when you intentionally load different ammo types this would not come into play (i some times like to keep 1 type of ammo in 1 gun and a different type in the other gun maybe ?).

Re: Smart Reloading (for dev gargaj - an all)

Someone suggested a secondary ammo hold that you could load and switch to when needed. That may be a simpler solution than yours, but yours seems more elegant.

3 (edited by Neoxx 2010-12-06 08:01:52)

I just had a strange feeling that I was driving.....

Also, why would you color the problem green, a color associated with good, and the solution red, a color associated with bad.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Neoxx wrote:

Also, why would you color the problem green, a color associated with good, and the solution red, a color associated with bad.

ahah thanks. naa i was doing this for the devs at 2-3am and i did not really think about the colors. In fact i hate how it looks anyway so i'll redo it.

Amlodhi wrote:

Someone suggested a secondary ammo hold that you could load and switch to when needed. That may be a simpler solution than yours, but yours seems more elegant.

It's true, a secondary ammo, or actually nm i don't know why a secondary ammo is needed, just the ability to remove and reload by clicking and dropping on your wep when deployed would be great.. but then again, in huge repetitive tasks liking mining or even in large fights, since auto reload is already in, making it "smarter" just seems natural no ? smile

* edit = updated colors/clarification and structure and suggested better explanation.

a solution would be to bring the exact ammo/charges you need... or easly you never go out of ammo

7 (edited by Rayna Von Savant 2010-12-08 07:34:28)

Neoxx wrote:

You got nothing better to do than pick on people at a tangent, dude/dudette?
Time and again, in every post, you come in with this holier-than-thou attitude, and > 50% of the time reply with some criticism that has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

GM Risiko wrote:

a solution would be to bring the exact ammo/charges you need... or easly you never go out of ammo

lol true risiko tongue but then again, if the game mecanic could be made to be wiser about this kind of thing it would help no? that is the temporary fix im doing, right now i load up with 270 charges (2x full cycles for my 3 miner modules) but i belive this would be a good help to the general mecanic of realoading. Or better yet, and if the devs dont have time or feel this might be too hard. Just make the charges able to be changes on the fly (while still causing the module to go through reload cycle) by click drag drop as u are able to do inside a building).

Rayna Von Savant wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

You got nothing better to do than pick on people at a tangent, dude/dudette?
Time and again, in every post, you come in with this holier-than-thou attitude, and > 50% of the time reply with some criticism that has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

some people are like that smile but it helps any way, the more posts there are the more the devs will consider/look at an idea (strait from the devs mouth tongue) so even if it's not constructive it helps the hype of said idea so .. voila. il take any help smile