Topic: Cant rum game or reinstall

Game keeps crashing with error message from windows "error cannot write to local datafille" time and time again, when entering stations and using teleports or accessing agent information pages.
I uninstalled and tried to reinstall from website, and I am getting the same error messages when the downloader is running at about 80 megabites of 440 and it crashes.
I have tried a disk scan and also various setting with virus software and firewall and I am at a loss.
What am i doing wrong please?

Re: Cant rum game or reinstall

What OS are you using?
It sounds like there is an error writing to the hard disk which could be caused by permission errors or hardware failure or even the files are in a bad location that your OS can't write to.
Where are you running the game from. Try moving it to another directory that doesn't require tight permission to save to.

Might be worth getting a Dev in here to explain what triggers the error message.

3 (edited by Pactox 2011-07-05 01:31:24)

Running Windows XP
Have tried moving Directories and also tried different disk drives.
I have been playing since November and never had any trouble.
Only since the last patch have I had trouble at all.

4 (edited by elric 2011-07-05 11:48:59)

game crashed, reset computer, tried to connect, and client is corrupted.
So I tried to reinstall, install ok, but updated failed.
Window reported perpetuum tried to close in unusual way

XP service pk 3

updated at 11 40 reconnected seems ok

According to your online times this has been solved I guess.

i am trying to load perp on my laptop for when i travel and i get the unable to write datafile! Please check for disk space and disk integrity! It starts writing fine at first and then the error occurs. I am pretty sure this is common since remember this happening when I first started playing on a brand new 'puter.

vista
uac off
no duplicate target folders
no notification of program being blocked in firewall
antivir turned off

I have a backup program (Seagate Freeagent Autobackup) running all the time that was causing this issue. Had to turn off antivirus and pause my auto-backup. Beware of other programs that constantly scan your files! Dropbox would probably do it, too.