Topic: Question: Enviroments

Do you think dull colors, mostly brown, grey and dirty green keep player in this world?

I mean - play for some time on a nuimquol island.

Blue grey ground, most times night or grey clouds. Concrete buildings with gray/blue color markings, with brown plants here and there, some of them have guess what - blue/purple blossoms.

I know, some areas need to look dull, but the whole world?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Question: Enviroments

Annihilator wrote:

Do you think dull colors, mostly brown, grey and dirty green keep player in this world?

I mean - play for some time on a nuimquol island.

Blue grey ground, most times night or grey clouds. Concrete buildings with gray/blue color markings, with brown plants here and there, some of them have guess what - blue/purple blossoms.

I know, some areas need to look dull, but the whole world?

The players made the choice that the only islands that mattered were blue ones.

It wasn't just one random guy deciding that either, it was a large majority of the population.

So there must be something they like about the blue islands smile

Also the new plants help a bit with the dullness, which I agree on compared to green/yellow islands.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Finally some1 else cares as well smile The blue islands are as bleak as Ljubljana in late fall.

4 (edited by Syndic 2011-11-01 16:51:54)

My main "grief" with the islands is that they're apparently supposed to represent different climates, respectively blue = tundra, yellow = desert, green = temperate. HOWEVER! The vegetation is exactly the same across the board.

I think it would have been much more unique and fun if they split the new plants and added unique climate plants only found on green islands, only on blue islands, only on yellow islands, etc. Would have added a bit more "wow, exploration" factor to roaming, cause obviously people living in a green island wouldn't see the tundra-plants of blue islands until they actually explored blue islands.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

exactly syndic.

if you look at the THREE new plants, you can tell which climatic zone they have been meant for:

eplisqe - bluegrey = nuimqol territory
acyla - yellowbrown = thelodica territory
uropsia = colorfull = pelistal territory

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Would be fun if they added real effects not just visaul to the weathers?

Fog on the blue islands effects idk… armour resistances globally ( alpha and beta )
Fog on green island could have the hue changed and.. err... lower cap recharge rates lol

Bad weather.. good weather :>

Is a strange alien planet after all ;p Plus it might screw around with gang tatics lol

Edyth wrote:

Would be fun if they added real effects not just visaul to the weathers?

Fog on the blue islands effects idk… armour resistances globally ( alpha and beta )
Fog on green island could have the hue changed and.. err... lower cap recharge rates lol

Bad weather.. good weather :>

Is a strange alien planet after all ;p Plus it might screw around with gang tatics lol

That's a cool idea, or how about fog or electrical storms reducing your detection range so people could sneak around in it.

8 (edited by Annihilator 2011-11-02 01:20:16)

sorry, guys, but do not mistake this as a request topic for enviromental effects - wrong forum section for that wink

im mostly about the "dull", "depressing" and "contrast-less" presentation of the game world and the effect it has on a long term player like me...

9 (edited by Syndic 2011-11-02 01:38:10)

Coding enviromental effects and various other implements is lightyears ahead (In my opinion anyway) of something as simple as "island climatic group A has X plants, group B has Y plants, group C has Z plants".

EDIT:

I think its worth to note that something as simple as specific islands having specific flora (possibly even fauna if lifeforms are implemented in some distant future) could be very rewarding for the players as islands would become more unique rather then just the basic terrain texture being changed.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

10 (edited by Alexander 2011-11-02 08:05:39)

I'd like to see distinct differences between each island with beta island being more extreme/rough.
Novastrov does this well when you have building turned up to maximum as the bleak terrain (Ignore the suddenly colourful plants) contrasts nicely with the spires and plateaus. However sadly this is not the same for the other beta islands apart from they feel a lot more empty.

Alpha 2 islands are much better as each has the same theme as their brother island but again the plants don't match at all.

I preferred it when plants would grow in different types of terrain rather than EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE.

I know the new blog says how hard it is to implement these kinda of changes but each plant should have a "Minimum height" and a "Maximum height" at which it can grow as well a preferred climate.

I don't expect this to be easy but visually it will make a huge differences as right now it's messy and the new plants do not fit in where they currently are.

im not normally one to fap about colours, but generally everything does indeed look washed, drab and very dull.

You can partly overcome this using digital vibrance settings in the NVIDIA windows driver (dont know about ati)

When Ive put some photoshop filters on screen shots there is even more, especially in the way of lighting contrast.

it just seems to me like they need to adjust some of the filters and modify some textures just slightly and it would see some immediate improvments.

I expect to see a total revamp of textures and colours on the Shader 3.0 patch.

smile

Number 1, Engage!

What? Total? Drugs are bad, mkay?

I planted some new flora all over one island to help brighten up the place, but someone kept digging them up ... plant pots would be nice outside our garages. smile

Alexander wrote:

I expect to see a total revamp of textures and colours on the Shader 3.0 patch.

smile

Number 1, Engage!

the best HDR render engine doesnt help much, if you dont provide the dynamic range of colors wink Im sure that feature like per-pixel-lighting will help to add contrast to the enviroment, but only if the DEVs decide they want to have it.

so, i dont know how much the higher shader model will affect the visual look of the game of its own.

but i suggest the devs to walk around the block a bit with open eyes. The area around the DEV HQ is a good example how you can mix Urban landscape with green or colorfull plantlife. (If you look at Google maps sattelite images of budapest, it looks like half of the city is build into a forest)

I more meant if you're doing a Graphical patch the engine guy can do the engine and the artists can rework the colours and the server dudes can rewrite the server to allow different plants on different islands at different heights..

Just like Gargaj said.. Use all your assets and change all areas to meet the same expectation. or something like that.

Well maybe smile there is *The Big Novembre Surprise* coming out soon smile

You could use Post processing to spice environments up a bit and make them feel a little different.