26 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-24 16:38:11)

Re: Helioptris volume

MSHA Droid1 wrote:

@Kaldenines,

Good point. However, still end up in a logistical trap unless its sold out of that same outpost; end up in the same opprtunity-cost analysis (why transport helio when I can....[insert more profitable thing here].)
For the most part I'm resigned to collecting whatever I need at the time I need it, even on beta I would not consider selling it to market unless it was at the same outpost.

Its not a logistical trap if you are producing at that very outpost (which often makes more sense on beta with Level3 factories and refineries)

By harvesting outside the outpost you completely remove the logistical trap of helio.

But yes you are right, its pointless most of the time to put Helio on the market, though I have done it a few times myself for some fast cash (dual boxing harvesters and one dedicated hauler). Was it worth the logistical effort however? Not really.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Its simple.

If you put helio up on the market and it doesn't sell, then there's no demand for it at that price. This simply means that producers aren't making items that use helio, or they have an alternate source than the market place.

Since all T1 items use plastasine, not using helio isn't an option, so it must be they have an alternate source. Corporations will simply have players harverst when helio is needed, since they aren't gathering for market, the market price is irrelevant unless its low enough to offset the time required; meaning there is demand the price has to be low.

Production only corporations will buy off the market, but because they are building for profit, they will not pay a premium unless it's an emergency. They also have alternate resourcers other than the market.

Low population means low production which means low demand, which puts the producers in charge of market pricing.

The volume/price/logistics of helio isn't a developer issue to fix. Reducing volume will simply make it easier for corporations to harvest, it will not change the demand/pricing on the market. The devs could drive up the price of helio by making it rarer, but its not supposed to be rare, and I don't really want the devs messing with the market in an attempt to change something that isn't broken.

28 (edited by Annihilator 2011-10-24 22:28:43)

additional to argas post:

thers enough plasteosine in a majority of T1 drops (eg. said T1 Medium armor plates) to get a hughe bunch of it from recycling. Due to the low market price of Titanium and Plasteosine , those armor plates can be repaired for a handfull of NIC, and recycled with maximum efficiency.

combine all those facts on an outpost with lvl3 repair and recycling facility, and a 4th star havoc mission spawn nearby:
- high plasma drop
- high chance to loot armor plates
- ultra cheap repair
- 60% + recylcing rate
= plasteosine and titanium without harvesting a single plant + NIC from beta plasma buy order

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

@Hugh.

Understood ;-). My issue with helio is solely its volume. I find it intensely annoying. ;-)

@Arga,

The balance issue is the volume when, for instance,  comparing triandlus and helio. Both are used in key manufacturing commodities; why is one nearly 3x as hard to move around? The price for helio, as I understand it, is reflecting the sad state of affairs of a DIY economy -- do-it-yourself as much as possible.

MSHA Droid1 wrote:

@Hugh.

Understood ;-). My issue with helio is solely its volume. I find it intensely annoying. ;-)

i think that not everything needs to be balanced in terms of all has to be equal. if harversting heleoptris is that much more of "work" then it should reflect the price in the market. because that is player based. if no one is willing to pay for that work then simply dont sell it to that price. if someone else does it cheeper then let him have the hard job for less reward, and do yourself a better job with higher rewards. you can abuse this by selling the better stuff and buying the cheeper ones. problem solved.
if everyone thinks that way then the price of that harder to get stuff will rise. if some dont do it... then use it to your advatage.

my 5 cents

This game needs SOME limitations of supply.
The price of hauling is usually included in production/market prices so I think having something that is limited is a good thing.

It's easy to find and harvest a lithus load of stuff but currently it's not hugely valuable. I would expect to see prices for items that require Helio to increase in price.

Also Recycling gets a HUGE amount of minerals back from junk and as Helio is used mostly in simple materials it's easy to farm all day and get a nice stockpile for production without even looking at a harvester.

I AM NOT A GM™

There's some history behind why Helio still has a higher volume.

T1 modules used to contain Espitium. That epitron based commodity was removed and replaced by a larger amount of plastosine, which has helio as a component.

Plant layers used to grow only at higher elevations, which made plants rare on some islands, this max elevation was reduced which created many more opportinuties for plants to grow, and made them more plentiful.

It was a concious decision on the devs part, for whatever reasons, to not change the volume of helio; most likely as it related to the T1 module change.

But, it all comes back to how much players are willing to pay for anything that determines the price.

Sure this is a game, and anything can be changed, but something will always be the 'pain' to gather, unless everything is exactly the same volume/value. This month its Helio's turn to be the bad guy.

its just a psychological issue.

for my taste, harvesting triandlus is worse. i harvest down any triandlus plant in visual range of my field container, and my sequer is still not full.

on the other hand - you need it in hydrobenol (250)  and polynucleit (200)

Hydrobenol is used in a few special modules, and there ranging from 50 (stab) to 300 (shield)
thats 12.5k to 75k triandlus per item that needs hydrobenol.

polynucleit is more common, ranging from 50 (tunings) to 600 (lithus)
thats 10k to 120k triandlus per item that needs polynucleit

compare that with the helioptris post i made earlier

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

@Annihilator,

Harvesting and then transporting 1M of triandlus is quite painless. Harvesting and then transporting 1M of helioptris is literally nearly 3x harder. For instance, when I harvest I usually use 3-4 gargoyles in an area, then run 1-2 sequers at a time to collect the field cans. Doing so with helioptris creates a situation wherein even with two sequers I can't catch up.

Now I understand that your concern is primarily with the manufacturing costs, and from that perspective gathering a smaller amount of helio for direct use is no big deal. My concern is with the "marketability" of helio. To compare: I not only can get a better price for triandlus on average, but I can do so with far less effort.
Thus, given the current volume of helio, and a price range historically on a par or less than triandlus, I can't imagine ever gathering it for sale to the market.

The volume on helioptris is bad for the game economy. It takes an important raw resource and makes it fundamentally problematic to the market. This is my complaint. At the moment, this is my complaint because I am primarily a "gathering" type set of characters while slowly working on expanding the prototype techbase...

@Arga,

Thanks for the information on the history of helio ;-). I understand the background of why it was done, but my complaint stands as outlined above: the volume of helio is not reasonable. Its lower demand per creation of key commodities (i.e., previous posts outlining it) coupled with its volume create a situation where it never makes sense to sell the raw plants to the market. When you create a situation where it "makes no sense" to sell something to the market, by definition it is not balanced in terms of the game economy.

My recommended solution is to simply change the volume to make it equivalent to triandlus. Other options exist, but definitely do not prefer them. :-)

you still dont get the point.

in an analogy, you complain to god that sweet beet and grain do not have the same size per unit.

Annihilator wrote:

you still dont get the point.

in an analogy, you complain to god that sweet beet and grain do not have the same size per unit.

Oh i like that analogy! big_smile cool

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

My 2 cents now that I have started production:

1 Cent: I don't use much helio in production (Maybe ammo needs alot of it? idk cause I never make ammo)
2 Cent: In consequence, I don't spend much time gathering it

smile

Like Sun says, market drives the price, not the volume.

The price on the market now, is set by the demand balanced by the supply. Lower volume means more supply, but it doesn't change the demand, so prices will simply drop until it again 'makes no sense'. On the flip side, now players like Sun that used to get 1-2 production days worth of helio in 1 trip, now can get 4-5 days worth, so chances of 'I need it now' demand go away too, reducing demand on the market too.

@ sun

Plastosine and Polynu are both used in bot production in fair quantity, Plastosine is in all T1 modules, and for mining charges. You can burn through a lot of helio making 1.5 million mining charges a day smile

What if the volume of Helio was reduced? Would it be flooded into the market? I doubt it, as there is very little to no demand for it since most people get a decent amount from recycling, and if you can use a lithus it makes logistics gathering it alot more simply assuming you live on alpha.

Reducing the volume of Helio is not necessarily the most correct answer.

I think this thread highlights a fundamental problem with harvesting. Unlike mining, you need multiple accounts to do it effectively. In other words, it does not scale at a 45 degree angle like mining does when you increase number of bots. But micromanagement also increases exponentially when using multiple accounts, making it a pain at the high end as well.

Harvesting in its current form is a bit of a pain and extremely unfriendly to players with multiple accounts or just one account. I am not saying it should be just like mining. What I am saying is it should work decently well with just 1 account, and scale decently well with several. Volume / cargo hold stops it from being effective by solo accounts, excessive micromanagement of cans / timers / hauling causes it to be a pain with multiple accounts.

Things that could help mitigate the problem could be cargo access modules, cargo expanding modules, longer timers on cans and tracking of those cans locations.

41 (edited by Kyrios 2011-10-28 02:44:10)

@Annihilator,

Acting as a rational economic actor, does it make sense for anyone to gather helioptris and sell that raw resource to the market? I contend it does not. :-) And judging by prices listed in "Rates" it only made sense for about one day on 8/17 in recent times... and well before that back in june and may.

And while one may be beets, and the other wheat when comparing say triandlus and helio... one has been pretty consistently an under-performer when analyzed as to its volume. ;-)

Taking the existing average price, eliminating the volume penalty and IMHO the problem goes away. Even if the price falls it still would be closer to a reasonable economic decision to gather and sell.

I recognize that there is very low demand, I've been seeing the same quantities listed for days now without apparent change. However, it is my belief that the high volume coupled with the fact that less of it is needed in manufacturing has basically made this raw resource useless to both buyers and sellers. Need helio, gather it directly. Gathering something for sale to the market? Anything but helio.

[attempted to edit for clarity]