Topic: Suggestion: Refer a Friend Program

Continuing the discussion in http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/top … -superman/, here a few ideas on how to flesh out this suggested program.

1. At signup, a unique url is assigned to each account, this becomes the referral code. For existing accounts, this url code is generated.

2. In the Perpetuum client, add a link in agent profile leading to a Referral Center on the Perp website showing number of referrals made, referral code, and rewards received/available.

3. In the Referral Center you can send referral emails directly that include your code, as well as copy/paste your unique URL for placement elsewhere.

4. Whenever someone clicks on the link and signs up, the database remembers who referred the player, and when the referred account redeems a GTC, the reward is issued to the referrer in game in the form of a special container placed in the home base private storage. An in-game mail should be generated notifying the player of a successful referral and reward.

Suggestion for reward tier system:

Tier 1. A given amount of NIC such as 2M, as well as one special item based on invested EP:

Heavily Industrial - Decoder, level weighed-random based on EP level invested (more EPs in the area, higher chance of a higher level decoder)

Heavily Combat Oriented - 2M NIC, and one 100% "full cover" insurance policy on robot, mods and cargo on that robot. Replacement with exactly the robot lost. Transferrable and sellable. Usable in addition to insurance limited by EP skill.. i.e., can have on standard policy and this reward regardless of EP investment.

Heavy Mining: 2M NIC, and a mining "booster" that doubles the available ore in the locked tile. Duration to be determined.

Balanced EP spending, random reward. :-)

For higher tiers, higher level rewards....

Re: Suggestion: Refer a Friend Program

+1 for the refer a friend program.

Not sure if it should be in game items or nic.

Maybe free game time instead?

Not saying I am totally agaisnt in-game-items as a reward.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I'm suggesting a dual-reward system that is not just NIC, but something "usable" regardless of level and obsession with the game. For instance, a simple NIC reward would not be as appealing to me as a mining booster reward; particularly because I spend a lot of time mining...

Similarly I imagine that for a combat oriented player, the issue is not just the NIC to replace robot and mods, but also the time spent gathering everything -- the special insurance policy is a significant time saver.

My preference is in-game reward, but free GTC could be a higher tier option after X referrals.... neat idea..

low tier reward: standing with syndicate
high tier rewards: gametime

sounds about right big_smile

especially since standing will grant you access to sparks, according the last blog, that spark that you unlock by friend referral could be worth the hassle wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Another great idea, hadn't thought about the new changes coming. Any and all would work I think...

6 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-10-09 21:52:56)

I definitely want a refer-your-friend programme. However, the reward should either be:

• Gametime

• Cosmetic and non-transferable rewards

Anything else will risk abuse and cause problems for the in-game economy.

I don't feel there'd be much of a problem in terms of abuse as it is based on new subscriptions. And if someone wants to refer himself to get a few items all to the good, more money to pay for advertisements on other sites..

I don't think any of the suggestions would break the economy thus far..

Refining Inc wrote:

I'm suggesting a dual-reward system that is not just NIC, but something "usable" regardless of level and obsession with the game. For instance, a simple NIC reward would not be as appealing to me as a mining booster reward; particularly because I spend a lot of time mining...

Similarly I imagine that for a combat oriented player, the issue is not just the NIC to replace robot and mods, but also the time spent gathering everything -- the special insurance policy is a significant time saver.

My preference is in-game reward, but free GTC could be a higher tier option after X referrals.... neat idea..

Ah yes!!! Let me refer myself so I can get a mining/combat bonus...... No abuse there.... wtf man......

That is no different then buying an advantage with $$$ as far as I am concerned.

Inappropriate signature.

And there is no abuse in running 8 or more alts at the same to gain an advantage as is fairly common now? :-)

Refining Inc wrote:

And there is no abuse in running 8 or more alts at the same to gain an advantage as is fairly common now? :-)

Having alts, even if it is 8, in no way, shape or form constitutes abuse......

Giving away unique items or services for a refer a friend promo breaks the sandbox. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If you fail to see this then please go find a game where you can plug in your visa and buy everything you need......

*On a side note... If you truely enjoyed a game you wouldn't need to be bribed to recommend it.*

Inappropriate signature.

well, how often can you use that bonus with your alts?

your archievement would be to bring in more then 10 player that have subscribed for more then 3 months, and you get a little bonus to your agents game time, eg. 1 month

for that bonus you have paid 10x 3 months ?

wow, that would be a great abuse.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

12 (edited by Refining Inc 2011-10-10 19:31:37)

The bonus I'm suggesting is of a very short duration actually.. something on the order of perhaps 12 hours for mining. The insurance policy on robots valid on one robot until first death. etc. ;-)

Which is why I do not feel it is game breaking at all.

Re: bribery... it is one thing to occasionally recommend a game, it is quite another to actively attempt to market it... and rewarding that effort makes perfectly sound business sense. Many games adopt this and reward players with in-game items that give a temporary bonus that in no way break the game in terms of abuse.

The community in the game is small, in about a weeks play I have yet to see the numbers online in general chat exceed 200, 160ish being prime, lows of 80 in weird hours. In this context, instituting an aggressive marketing program is not only good business sense, it should create a sense of urgency. Many aspects of the game as basically broken for lack of population to support key niches.

I would submit that offering a 12 hour mining reward is far less sandbox breaking than running multiple alts in terms of the actual power this affords a player -- I do not believe that can be questioned; and is logically an example of "paying" to gain an advantage. To offer rather obvious examples -- several nexus equipped robots supporting one combat robot farming NPCs; multiple mining accounts; etc.

After reviewing the thread in this forum covering the recent EVE debacle, I'm guessing game-time only is probably the best idea for this program. Wouldn't want to start a slippery slope leading to P2W. ;-)