Topic: Recycling? Is it worth it?

Hey guys,

I'm quite new to the game. I've been reading a lot of guides and looking for any information where possible.

I just wanted to know if recycling is ever worth it? Is it worth it with low levels? worth it at high levels? at what point does it turn out to be more profitable than selling the item and buying the raw materials directly?

ie. If I can sell a gun for 50,000 am I ever going to be able to get 50,000 worth of materials by recycling the item?

Thanks for your help. smile

2 (edited by Norrdec 2011-09-21 08:31:42)

Re: Recycling? Is it worth it?

If you are talking about looted items, people don't really buy the standard ones. (Except for sensor amps, signal detectors and a few other, but that's to you to decide). You then should decide if you want to use some of the mods as a base for production of T2 items, want for roams/suicide pve or just recycle it.

Recycling is also useful for the new extra quality raw materials (the special named ones with PL-10 to PL-90). With a higher recycling skill you will get more raw mats from them.

/edit

ie. If I can sell a gun for 50,000 am I ever going to be able to get 50,000 worth of materials by recycling the item?

This depends on the mod and the materials... smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Even if people don't really buy the standard items, you can still sell them. I'm basically talking about selling them immediately (not putting up a sell order), at whatever the current going price is. Whether its a player based or infinite station based sell.

For instance, I can go and sell a standard small mining module on the market now. Would it be more economical to recycle it or sell it? From my initial observations, there is lots of wasteage when recycling, so it appears not to be worth it, but does this change substantially at higher levels?

When I get a chance I might do some basic math on a few simple items, but just curious if there is a general consensus. Like "only recycle crap you can't sell", etc.

Repair lightly damaged (white) mods, recycle heavily damaged (red) mods, think about those in the middle

IMHO each corp needs at least one dedicated recycling agent, just to get the maximum out of those extra-stuff you get from mining, recycling the flawed stuff from artifact scanning (for espitium) and maximizing the resources of endless stationary npc farming with lithus tranport support big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Hello,
I had a refiner as support character; definetlly interesting mostlly if u make a lot of pve as the drops will give you a nice cut on mats. With recent changes in rare yields seems valuable for both main careers. Relation has big influence in % lost.

The simplest answers is -

Any skill you use alot, or plan to use alot, is worth maxing out.

Industrial characters will likely be using it alot to recycle rare ions, so getting this skill up recommended, but probably not a priority (save ions until your skill is 8 or above).

PVE combat character, if your farming alot, then getting this skill up to 5 is probably a reasonable thing to do. Above that though, and those EP are probably better spent in skills that help you kill faster. If you can get 10 more kills in an hour because of better skills, your going to get more materials from recycling then you would with a few % better extension.

Corp player, any role - Unless you are the corp recycler, don't waste your EP.

PVP - Not worth it, if your picking up Tiered gear, your better off repairing and using it, or selling it. If its T1 you're probably wasting carge space picking it up.

XViper wrote:

My industry Agent has recycling 8 and a standing of 4 atm which comes out as ~75% effiziens at a Level 2 Station (Hershfield). As long as you stay on Alpha Islands, the limit might be ~85% (10/5/2).
So with Recycling 10, standing 10 and on Beta you might get very close to 100% wink.

But as there are these "rare Ore" it's very much worth to work as Recycler (even more if you do the job for a full corp).

@ Jack ...

By standing of 4 do you mean relations from assignments?

If so, which assignments do you have to grind to increase the standings for a industry toon? Mining? Logistics? (Bleh!) Or Combat (doesn't seem likely)?

Just curious, my indy toon has recycling 8 and does it at Hersh but is only getting 40%. Relations is 0 because he hasn't done any assignments at all ....
Looks like he may have to start.

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful and informative. smile
Rare ores never even occurred to me.
I'll have to make sure I get some good relations up with a good recycling station.

@Cassius
Relation to the Green NPC Corps I mean.
4x% Relations == 4% bonus for industry (100% would reasult in 10% bonus).
You need to grind the mining missions (the industry NPC corp) for this.

Base quality of Level 2 Industry = 35%
Max bonus from standing = 10%
Recycling peer level is 5% I belive => max 50% bonus

So on Alpha you can max reach 95% in theoriy. On Beta you can get the 100%.
In reality it's not posible to reach the 95% as you would need to do Level 5+ missions which you can only do on Betas wink.

My 8 Extension + 4 Standing + Level 2 in Hersh is 40%+4%+35% = 79% (wow, thought it's just 75%).

how are you getting those numbers Jack? With lvl 10 recycling and 20% standings i'm still getting less then 50% of the materials So i fail to see how lvl 8 and 40% relations would give anything close to 75%.

13 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-09-22 08:27:16)

IMO no. I keed white damage modules I am interested in and destroy everything else on the field (of course I keep plasma, kernels and decoders). Without EP investment recycling is realy inefficient given the space the modules take.

I don't have a hauler alt (and usual nobody from corp would be interested to truck with me in a sequer :-)).

Also I do change islands once a few weeks, so grinding relation is not something I am interested in.

Jack, your calculation is wrong

Recycling plants have 10% - 15% - 20% base rates,
Extension % is 3% per level, added to facility

thats with maxed recycling 40% - 45% - 50% (see, 50% is on beta)

standing bonus is multiplied with the facility base, not the final result.

base * standing bonus + extension bonus.

what i see, is that jack mistakes Recycling with Refining

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

15 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-09-22 13:07:58)

Annihilator wrote:

base * standing bonus + extension bonus.

(base * standing bonus) + extension bonus
(15%*4) = 60% + (3%*8) = 84%

With your formular I would get 84% in Hersh ... that's sound to high neutral.

But this way it would be worth to hauler even red-damaged stuff from Tellesis to Hersh as it's a big different, if you get just 15%+1 or 15%*4 wink.

PS: NEED twin-Lithius sad. One hour farming = 240++++ U loot hmm. Pain with Sequers.

standing bonus would be a %
4% or 40% (thats a factor of 1.04 or 1.4 - and not 4!)

it seems that the formula got changed and the standing bonus is adding up now

a standing of 4.32 will add 4.32% to your material efficiency
resulting in 57% maximum possible on a rank III recycling plant (20% + 7% + 30%)

i was pretty sure that it was 64% some time ago (20% * (100%+70%) + 30%)

17 (edited by Cassius 2011-09-23 18:56:37)

I don't think Jack confused refining and recycling .... Its too big of a difference. I get 103% refining at Hersh with no relations bonus (Refining is at 7)

But I think you are correct Annihilator with the factory bouns for recycling .... As I currently get 39% yeild with level 8 Recycling at Hersh (15% + (3%x8=24%) = 39%)

Thanks both for the answers. My opinion its worth it for me .... I repair any mod that can done for half the average market value and I get a ton of flawed mods that give me quite a bit of minerals like Esp., etc.

I should add its a good thing you can't really recover more than about half the materials because it would affect the mining career and drive mineral prices down.

All I can tell you is, that I get ~75-78% from what is listed unter Materials at Hersh when I reCYCLE this rare ore.

With 79% from my formular .... it sounds right wink.

If I recycle red damaged stuff ... well
Let's say it's 85% damaged
-> there is just 15% material left
from this 15% I get again the ~77%

But yea, the result is very low then ^^.

Jack Jombardo wrote:

All I can tell you is, that I get ~75-78% from what is listed unter Materials at Hersh when I reCYCLE this rare ore.

With 79% from my formular .... it sounds right wink.

If I recycle red damaged stuff ... well
Let's say it's 85% damaged
-> there is just 15% material left
from this 15% I get again the ~77%

But yea, the result is very low then ^^.

Hmm ..... Jack could you do a test for me? Can you recycle one small undamaged misslle launcher at Hersh and tell me the minerals, amounts, and wastage?

I will do the same, at Hersh, and post the results ..... If you are indeed getting about a 75% recovery rate then I am definetly running assignments on my indy toon.  Btw its not that I doubt you. I would like to understand the mechanics of this better and before I spend a month on grinding assignments I would like to be really sure.

with a screenshot please?

when i recycle a helioquid PL-10 (6000) - i get 2779 Helioptris out of it, which is less then 50% - on a lvl2 recycling plant

i cannot imagine how you can get more then 75% at hershfield whith exactly the same preferences.

21 (edited by Scyylla 2011-09-27 22:41:46)

More then likely he is looking at the waste and figuring what he gets is 79% of that:

10,000 waste
7900 received

This would at a glance look like a 79% yield but it isn't.

10000+7900=17,900 total mineral yield with PERFECT recycle

17,900 total mineral yield at 100%
7900 yield = 44% (plus a few digits behind the decimal)

Inappropriate signature.

yeah, that would explain why he sees something different then anybody else.

Well with level 8 Recycling, at Hersh terminal one small missle launcher will yeild the following :

Titanium Qty.:       78     Wastage: 122
Plasteosine Qty.:   39     Wastage: 61
Isopropentol Qty.: 19     Wastage: 31
Vitricyl Qty.:         39     Wastage: 61

My Relation Ratio  0%
My Material Ratio 39%

24 (edited by Deliv Erance 2011-09-28 04:44:54)

that sounds right.

Cassius wrote:

Well with level 8 Recycling, at Hersh terminal one small missle launcher will yeild the following :

Titanium Qty.:       78     Wastage: 122
Plasteosine Qty.:   39     Wastage: 61
Isopropentol Qty.: 19     Wastage: 31
Vitricyl Qty.:         39     Wastage: 61

My Relation Ratio  0%
My Material Ratio 39%

Titan: 86/112
Plas: 43/57
Iso: 21/29
Vit: 43/57

Dyrep pl-10: 1293/1707

yea sad
Sorry, don't know where I saw the 78%.
Relation Ratio 41%
Material Ratio 43%

But hey, at last I'm man enough to except my mistake.