Topic: Game world to small?

Opinions please do you think the game world is to small for being a "sandbox" game? I have been in every area of the game many times and there is not a lot to see and explore.

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~

Re: Game world to small?

That depends on a more basic question,

Should game play drive world size, or world size drive game play?

If players only want to find a niche to hide out in then the world is too small, they world will have to grow bigger to adjust to that play style.

If players want to fight more, then limiting resources and outpost will drive them together, so the world is acutally too big.

Personally I wouldn't mind teleporting 12 Islands away and finding a little level 3 outpost to call my own and build up a power base before venturing out. But that's just 1 way the game could be played, the other is to contend with existing alliances or corporations as you build power.

Arga wrote:

If players only want to find a niche to hide out in then the world is too small, they world will have to grow bigger to adjust to that play style.

If players want to fight more, then limiting resources and outpost will drive them together, so the world is acutally too big.

Personally I wouldn't mind teleporting 12 Islands away and finding a little level 3 outpost to call my own and build up a power base before venturing out. But that's just 1 way the game could be played, the other is to contend with existing alliances or corporations as you build power.

I see both styles of play being obtained in a large world.

Eve fits as a great example.  If your looking for your own slice of heaven you can go out into 0.0 and find it.
If your looking for those "hot spots" for some interesting small, unpredictable PVP encounters, go to one of the many KNOWN low sec hot spots.  If your looking for blob v blob then go join one of the massive alliances in any one of the four corners of the world.

In this case bigger IS better...in nearly every way.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

Eve fits as a great example.  If your looking for your own slice of heaven you can go out into 0.0 and find it.
If your looking for those "hot spots" for some interesting small, unpredictable PVP encounters, go to one of the many KNOWN low sec hot spots.  If your looking for blob v blob then go join one of the massive alliances in any one of the four corners of the world.

Exactly my opinion on this

I think the world is large enough to suport the current population.

I'd very much prefer a few more developed islands rather than (2 stations, 3 gates, 8 belts) x 100 model of EVE.

This game not advertised.
If this game will be better advertised, believe me, even in 6 islands you will have a lot of fun because:
1. Developed marked
2. Variety of specialized corporations.
3. PvP each hour.
4. Mass PvP on intrusions.

I think if devs will expand world, but not playerbase, situation will be same as now after few weeks of enjoyment.

gameworld lacks something. I think its "action".

everything except for roaming PvP is created around STATIC locations. Im already bored before i reach a grinding spot.

then i suffer from microsleep while grinding the same location, or if i have to pick up the loot myself, i suffer from complicated interface. except for the "loot all" keybind everything regarding loot has to be done with mouse sad

what would you write into an advertisment of this game?

Welcome to Perpetuum!
as the name already tells you the game consists of:
- perpetuual grinding in every aspect of the game!
- perpetuual losing of your equip as new PvP player against the established underchallanged PvP veterans
- perpetuual whining on forums about how unfair it is to bring more player to a PvP battle then the other party
- perpetuual whining of Industrial PvE player about how hard their AFK-grinding is if they get shot down by NPCs
- perpetuual beeing reminded that the game is about robots, but 90% of the game mechanics are EvE-clones

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

gameworld lacks something. I think its "action".

everything except for roaming PvP is created around STATIC locations. Im already bored before i reach a grinding spot.

then i suffer from microsleep while grinding the same location, or if i have to pick up the loot myself, i suffer from complicated interface. except for the "loot all" keybind everything regarding loot has to be done with mouse sad

what would you write into an advertisment of this game?

Welcome to Eve!
as the name already tells you the game consists of:
- Eve grinding in every aspect of the game!
- Eve losing of your equip as new PvP player against the established underchallanged PvP veterans
- Eve whining on forums about how unfair it is to bring more player to a PvP battle then the other party
- Eve whining of Industrial PvE player about how hard their AFK-grinding is if they get shot down by NPCs

I would agree some adverting is needed.  Just need to really balance that out with a good, no GREAT first impression.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

games that have a GREAT first impression, and an AWFULL second impression after four weeks, are those which are creating income by selling a boxed client.

perpetuums current state is "good" first impression and "boring" second impression.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

10 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-09-26 11:18:35)

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:
Arga wrote:

the map display in EVE has many more options (jumps/time, pilost in space/time, deaths/time etc) that help you judge the systems. these are totaly absent in PO.