1 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-06 09:34:28)

Topic: Turret line of sight completely broken still.

If i'm fighting in a mildly hilly area, many of my hits will just go into the ground. In order to even make a turret bot worth using I have to be on completely flat ground, or firing from on a ridge downwards toward my target with no mild bumps in the land inbetween.

This is absolutely ***, and it only gets worse when you start firing from longer ranges, because even more small bumps will be there to block your fire. You can have clear line of sight but a mild bump in the ground will cause you to just shoot that instead.

Maybe I should have posted this in the bug report section instead, as it's definetly bugged.

Re: Turret line of sight completely broken still.

It might have also been a bad idea to make the landmass so hilly, while it's more realistic instead of most areas just being flat ground, it does nothing in terms of gameplay for turret users.

It does wonders in terms of gameplay when you actually have to manage the terrain.

If we played on entirely flat land all the time we might as well be playing EvE and line of sight would be a completely useless mechanic.

LoS just needs to be fixed.  Dont base your opinions of other parts of the game based on a flawed mechanic.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

As you get into the larger robots, I would hope this would be less and less of a problem?  The small hills and whatnot will interfere less because you can fire over them easier in a taller bot?  Any laser pilots in mechs out there able to comment?

5 (edited by Hadouken 2010-12-06 13:32:45)

Wouldn't line of sight be broken if you were shooting through the little hills and such?  Little hills are still hills. 

You could always use missiles or magnetic weapons from up close to avoid having to pay attention to terrain.  Or try adjusting your camera angle so you can better see the terrain lay out. 

Having a LOS mechanic in a game means your shots are going to hit things.  Its a little wonky at times but you gotta expect shots to hit hills. 

Hills are awesome for gameplay.  Learn to use them.  they block your enemies shots as well.  You can take cover from enemy fire, LOS is a two way street. 

LOS is here to stay, its an important aspect of combat, you might want to make the best of it and not let it upset you so much.

Doc Iridium wrote:

As you get into the larger robots, I would hope this would be less and less of a problem?  The small hills and whatnot will interfere less because you can fire over them easier in a taller bot?  Any laser pilots in mechs out there able to comment?

It doesn't work like that, you'd think it would, but no.

Hadouken wrote:

Wouldn't line of sight be broken if you were shooting through the little hills and such?  Little hills are still hills. 

You could always use missiles or magnetic weapons from up close to avoid having to pay attention to terrain.  Or try adjusting your camera angle so you can better see the terrain lay out. 

Having a LOS mechanic in a game means your shots are going to hit things.  Its a little wonky at times but you gotta expect shots to hit hills. 

Hills are awesome for gameplay.  Learn to use them.  they block your enemies shots as well.  You can take cover from enemy fire, LOS is a two way street. 

LOS is here to stay, its an important aspect of combat, you might want to make the best of it and not let it upset you so much.

You do understand that when I talk about hills, i'm refering to minor bumps in the ground that are so small that it should be no problem to fire over them, but no, these tiny slopes will block hits for turrets, and they are everywhere. There's little skill involved in trying to shoot past them as a laser character because skill won't help you much, and there's certainly no skill involved in using them to your advantage as a missile user against a turret user. It's faceroll easy for the missile user.

Purgatory wrote:
Hadouken wrote:

You do understand that when I talk about hills, i'm refering to minor bumps in the ground that are so small that it should be no problem to fire over them, but no, these tiny slopes will block hits for turrets, and they are everywhere. There's little skill involved in trying to shoot past them as a laser character because skill won't help you much, and there's certainly no skill involved in using them to your advantage as a missile user against a turret user. It's faceroll easy for the missile user.

some video would really help as I have a hard time fully understanding where your coming from since i'm personally not having issues with line of sight.  Not that i'm trying to imply your lieing or just flat out wrong, i'm just not having the same issue and don't understand why.

If you take your lasers off automatic, zoom in and look "through" your bot to the target, and fire single shots, do you still think the line of sight is buggy? Having good / correct line of sight calculations really adds to the challenge and texture of the game; that means turrets being blocked by hills when there really are hills in the way, however "small" they look when zoomed out.

Artem Blue wrote:

If you take your lasers off automatic, zoom in and look "through" your bot to the target, and fire single shots, do you still think the line of sight is buggy?

Yes, yes I do.

Line of sight is still dodgy and still needs work. I admit, it have certainly improved, but its still faulty.

Sometimes LoS can hit the ground for ridiculous reasons, but the devs did improve it a lot. Just needs a little bit of tweaking, it isn't broken completely anymore.

Its so much better than it was in open beta. I'm sure it will get fine tuned as time goes on.

For the most part its pretty decent now.

push W, A, S, or D until LOS improves.