Topic: moving

we need a easier way to move around, its kinda annoying spending 20 mins going from one part of the island to another to get to one spot then repeating to go a long distance and half the time you gotta go around cause you went wrong way or your mining droid will get *** by a theo grand ovsever in a artemis(happend to me)

any ideas?

Re: moving

Это палка о двух концах. (The stick have two ends.)
This means that fast movement is not only for you but for others (like pirates)
It's possible to consider the option of fast moving in places that you own.

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

if we could move around faster, the available land mass would shrink dramaticaly :-)

Hugh Ruka wrote:

if we could move around faster, the available land mass would shrink dramaticaly :-)

yep, moving faster and detecting at longer distances + longer range weapons = shrinking game world.

the current LWF fitted speeds are perfect considering the level of detail of the landscape and size of the robots.

the things that have to be adjusted, are
- the REASONS to travel.
- the choices you have (eg. staying where you have traveled for more then one gaming-session)
- the access to exchange-equippment outside of terminals.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

How about a few extra teleports and highways on alpha islands? Civilized territories should have better infrastructure.
(Bonus for making these teleports syndicate-directed, but player-built.)

not more teleports... highways yes, but inner teleporters should cease function in the near future.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

7 (edited by Mark Zima 2011-09-16 16:40:35)

Annihilator wrote:

not more teleports... highways yes, but inner teleporters should cease function in the near future.

Where did this come from? Less teleports will break the game, literally.
Highways themselves are mostly useless due to their meager speed bonus. The only good ones are those connecting various teleport chains (including inner teleports).

Mark Zima wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Where did this come from? Less teleports will break the game, literally.
Highways themselves are mostly useless due to their meager speed bonus. The only good ones are those connecting various teleport chains (including inner teleports).

Highways are also useless for any bot that moves > 100 KPH, since you endlessly rubberband.

IF highways were done correctly and actually useful, i would so yes, we don't need internal teleports. However, this is far from the case.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

do not take a temporary bug as reason for not expanding a game feature.

highways are far from what they could do if they would actually connected with each other, not only 200m pieces spread over the islands.

teleports are chockepoints with an artifical timelimit to reuse them and artifical protection to cover the loading screen downtime.

I want a win button.

So that when I hit it...I win.

You know a win button.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

meh i just want a easier way to get around, sucks spending 20 mins trying to get to a tele and dying and having to try again

DionysusAnton wrote:

meh i just want a easier way to get around, sucks spending 20 mins trying to get to a tele and dying and having to try again

Sure this is a ***...its there kinda for a good reason tho.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

To OP: Yes, indeed we need an easier way to move around, NPC Taxi bots you can tag along would be a nice addition. Just Increasing the speed would make the islands much smaller.

Another feature I have mentioned before is having many more Outposts in alpha, maybe with limited features, this would appear to make the game world large, but the hauling for mining/npc farming would be much easier. A place you can dock and store you items and install extension should suffice.

RIP PERPETUUM

Internal TP's on alpha islands shouldn't be touched.
The argument they are an artificial chokepoint/protection doesn't really apply to alpha.

Celebro wrote:

To OP: Yes, indeed we need an easier way to move around, NPC Taxi bots you can tag along would be a nice addition. Just Increasing the speed would make the islands much smaller.

Another feature I have mentioned before is having many more Outposts in alpha, maybe with limited features, this would appear to make the game world large, but the hauling for mining/npc farming would be much easier. A place you can dock and store you items and install extension should suffice.

Taxibot is writen faster then thinking about all the implications it creates. AFAIK its already on the todo-list, but that list is long.
- should that bot drive around highways and you can somehow use the "follow" command to use the Taxi.
issue: how would it work with slower and faster bots? slowest top speed is heavy mech with 40kph, fastest light bot does 150kph. Thats a difference in travel speed of more then 300%!
- should you "dock" with the taxibot with no chance to see whats happening around it? uh, superiour observer crossed your highway - you die without chance to flee

many more outposts - i agree, this could actually work. Issue with that is: not every "outpost" should have unlimited storage on player-level. I would even go so far and seperate all facilities into their own building (for later PoS implementation having seperate production modules). This would increase the hauling on alpha exponentially, but nearly all buildings on alpha are connected through a pipeline... who know for what those are wink

make highways work like the space game I do not remember the name anymore ...

you aproached a gate, hit activate button and then got taxied from gate to gate until you were at the point you wanted to be. you could manualy break the ride, or somebody could damage one gate and you had to reach the next one manualy to continue.

this applied to highways (and with more highways) would:

1. make travel less tedious, you can afk travel on them
2. create PvP opportunities on beta :-)

it was some microsoft space game ... can't realy remember the name now .... but the gate system was a great feature ...

Freelancer, and it did not autopilot you AFAIR. Trading lanes have been straight lines. shooting at a note would cause it to fail in that section for a few seconds.

actually i have suggested that together with the highway idea back in beta. One major issue here is: STANDING has no affect on combat pilots. So there is no penalty for shooting at other player or syndicate/ICS/Asintec/TM equipment.

but thats a whole other issue with perpetuum player faction implementation - their Laissez-faire style politics do affect gamplay negatively...

Annihilator wrote:

Freelancer, and it did not autopilot you AFAIR. Trading lanes have been straight lines. shooting at a note would cause it to fail in that section for a few seconds.

actually i have suggested that together with the highway idea back in beta. One major issue here is: STANDING has no affect on combat pilots. So there is no penalty for shooting at other player or syndicate/ICS/Asintec/TM equipment.

but thats a whole other issue with perpetuum player faction implementation - their Laissez-faire style politics do affect gamplay negatively...

ah yes Freelancer. I do not remember but I think autopilot would work on the lanes .... anyway if that system was implemented, it would make traveling a lot easier. we could even get dynamic NPC raids on highway sections ...

I would like to be able to make my own routes with lots of waypoints and then set zombie pilot to follow it. You could share these routes between characters so you only have to make them once. Once the are made you just drive to the starting waypoint and then tell the bot to follow the remaining waypoints. You would only have to come back to click on the TP and set it off on the next waypoint path. This way you could have effective semi-AFK movement without the worry that your lithus train has just stopped moving 200 metres outside the terminal.

Basically, I want to undock from Jita and set autopilot to my destination, hit go and then come back an hour later to discover that my hauler is in the right place.

Traveling sucks, it takes so long, its tedious, annoying and offers no enjoyment. Make the pain of it go away but still require the bots to travel the path and thereby expoise themselves to danger or whatever, just dont make me sit through 3 hours of moving *** from one alpha island to another.

20 (edited by Sundial 2011-09-19 19:50:06)

Tiny Tim wrote:

I would like to be able to make my own routes with lots of waypoints and then set zombie pilot to follow it. You could share these routes between characters so you only have to make them once. Once the are made you just drive to the starting waypoint and then tell the bot to follow the remaining waypoints. You would only have to come back to click on the TP and set it off on the next waypoint path. This way you could have effective semi-AFK movement without the worry that your lithus train has just stopped moving 200 metres outside the terminal.

Basically, I want to undock from Jita and set autopilot to my destination, hit go and then come back an hour later to discover that my hauler is in the right place.

Traveling sucks, it takes so long, its tedious, annoying and offers no enjoyment. Make the pain of it go away but still require the bots to travel the path and thereby expoise themselves to danger or whatever, just dont make me sit through 3 hours of moving *** from one alpha island to another.

I think this pretty much sums up what is wrong with travel in perpetuum...

Stuff should take time, but it should not be extremely tedious to do logistics as it is now.

Time yes, tedious manual labor just to go from point A to point B no thanks.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Tiny Tim wrote:

I think a waypoint traveling system is in the works ...

Highways, aka Rubberbandways.