Topic: Windows 8 Dev Preview

I'm happy to report that the Windows 8 developer preview is working nicely on a Dell Latitude D620 that I shoveled out of my hardware pile this evening.  It needed to be fed a Win7 Intel GMA 950 video card driver which is working nicely to enable graphical interface goodness.  Fortunately the OS core components haven't drifted too far from Vista/7 even if the UI has been changed.

You can grab a copy for yourself if you care to tinker with it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

A minor note, virtualization doesn't seem agreeable with the OS.  It runs like a sweaty pig-dog and MS is already posting recommendations to keep it as close to the bare metal as possible due to graphical performance requirements.  It simply won't work at all in any version of Virtual PC though VMware does sort of cooperate with it and you can give it a go if you haven't any issues with the aforementioned pig-doggedness.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Re: Windows 8 Dev Preview

I have the 64bit iso waiting till I have the few moments of interest to fire up a virtual machine and give it a try.

The main problem is a WDDM reliance of the new windows. However a full HVM (with PCI passthrough) can get this working fine.

I didn't really like the interface, too much like a tablet for me.

Imo metro styled start menu + aero interface = epic fail.

5 (edited by Alexadar 2011-09-18 10:26:58)

doublepost

I'm a bit discouraged by Metro, actually.  Navigation requires unnecessary clicking and dragging on a conventional PC without a touchpad that supports multi touch and gestures.  It seems like a lot more thought is going to need to be put into building a universal interface to handle to differences in usage models between touchscreens and conventional hardware UNLESS next year brings about more touch interface computing platforms and drives the nails into the coffin of how we currently interact with our computing hardware.  MS has stated that their current goal is to build a single OS that spans a wide range of computing usage models...one OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.  It's too early to tell since 8 isn't even in beta yet, but I'm not so sure this is the right path moving forward.  Perhaps using the same core OS makes sense, but vastly different means of interacting really do deserve a UI optimized for their unique advantages.  Given the fact that quite a few people who own tablets (including myself) use them mostly as an expensive means of collecting dust, I'm not sure the way forward is in tablet technologies.  Perhaps ARM processors have a place in the coming new order, but I have my doubts about tablets when phones are already able to do everything a tablet can and most of what a conventional computer could though on a more cramped screen.  Dock those things to a larger screen, keyboard, and touchpad with a beefy battery or just a touchscreen and the whole point of a tablet evaporates away.

On a side note, my ancient D620 with its pathetic Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics card tosses 8 around with little trouble.  Microsoft is living up to one of their other goals in keeping system requirements quite reasonable.  It's a pity that MMO developers don't also acknowledge the lowly 950 so I can keep playing things like Perp. big_smile

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

No content.

In time all interfaces will need to be covered in a proper way, but if one wants to use all of them, you have to start somewhere. Maybe microsoft is the new apple ?:D

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Ill probably be using Win7 as long as I used XP unless Win8 is really special / stable.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

Ill probably be using Win7 as long as I used XP unless Win8 is really special / stable.

In Microsoft follows the same trend, then this OS will bomb and it won't be till the next generation that will be any good. Example.... Starting from Windows 98, "95 was good I give them that", Windows ME terrible, XP good, Vista terrible, Windows 7 good, Windows 8? yet to be seen.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole metro thing. If I want a tablet like experience, I will use my iPad.

Descent
Selling quality ore since 2011