Topic: Sweet

Hey. Just downloaded and installed the game yesterday, have to say this game is very impressive for such a new game. I'm currently subscribed to eve at the moment, but if things go as they are that will probably change tongue. The game seems to have just enough similarities to eve for me to make the initial jump from no knowledge about anything about the game, to enough to almost complete the tutorials and being comfortable with the UI and basics fairly quickly. (although the 9th tutorial mission is a bit of a hassle for me, the one where you have to collect 3 data things from 2 seperate areas, but thats because im planning for a specialized indy character, akin to my spaceship counterpart, and dont have barely any EP attributed yet)

Although there are many similarities, the differences really make it stand out, and I just have a  question to throw in here that I havent seen an answer for:

1)does moving around in your bot while fighting npcs affect their damage toward you in any way? akin to transversal velocity in eve?

I also like how mining/harvesting is implemented, so you dont have people crowding specific mining areas, although I assume later in the game there are areas that are highly contested good mining zones.
Also the whole datacore thing to learn how to make things is cool too, as opposed to the BPO/BPC system in eve

Last but not least, strangely enough, I found out about this game from doing a google news search on eve online, it was a couple of hits down. I didnt see any rules about posting links in the rules so I'll post the link where i first seen something about the game. http://games.on.net/article/13707/Impressions_Perpetuum .

If things keep going the way they are, I will most likely subscribe before my trial is over. Last but not least another question.
for an indy character, what should I get navigation up to off of the bat? I havent put any points into it yet, and I see varying opinions as to what to put it at. I am thinking 8 or 9 so I can run fast while solo mining, your opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Awesome game

Re: Sweet

There is no transversal or tracking here. The closest thing is hit dispersion for turrets and explosion dispersion (maybe other name) for missiles. The turret one dictates how often a gun hits a target of smaller size than the gun, the missile one reduces the dmg of big missiles against smaller targets.

Navi 10 is really nice. If your character isnt a station drone who just clicks away at factory jobs or the market then you would benefit greatly from it. Taking it up to level 5 will cost very little EP and be a nice boost while you consider what other skills you need.

cool, thanks for the answers. I think I'll take Nav up to 5(at least) when I'm on next. Im being very stingy with my EP distribution until I get a good grasp on what to put where, and I want to at least be done the tutorials and some of the rookie missions before I start to cautiously dole it out.

Did you choose combat or industry (mining) for your prime profession?

Nav is good regardless of profession, and you've got the right attitude about EP, there's no need to jump into spending it. Just like Eve the extensions get more expensive the higher they go, so it is important to specialize at first, or it will take much longer to be effective at your profession.

I pretty much went industrial all the way, but, as I sit here (at work tongue) unable to play, I was wondering if I should have switched it to be mostly industrial with a little into whatever the branch was for piloting skills, but I think it will balance out since the industrial skills will be relatively cheap to learn, it should offset the cost of necssesary pilot skills or equipment bonus skills.
(pardon my lack of appropriate terminology, if I could log into the game I could reference the skill trees proper names)  If I am going to be mining I should be able to at least have a chance at tanking/defending or at least escaping should I get mobbed, or be able to run some low level combat missions should I want to inject some fast paced excitement/variety into my gaming experience.

I suppose If i join a good corp someone could defend me while I rake in the dough for the corp  while out in the field mining/gathering/exploring etc, but I feel I should be prepared to hold my own in a pinch. Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.

The alpha islands are fairly secure, and the combat skill needed to defend yourself in the 'dangerous' parts of alpha would make mining there unprofitable.

Check out the PIE recruitment thread, we're a non-pvp corp that's always willing to help industrials get started, check the Cat-PIE chat channel online, Cat is a more PVP focused group if your leaning that direction.

I did the solo indy route and it can be very rewarding, but by splitting EP between combat and industry (and even between mining and manf. within indy) your limited to weak spawns and low yeilds for a long time. This is why I suggest being more directed in your EP application, as you can always branch out after reaching a certain level.

If your looking to do some more dangerous mining, in the beta zones, then your correct. A balance of defense and yeild is very helpful. One of the more difficult lessons on beta is that usually if your spotted, your dead. There are no fast escape mechanisms like warp away. If your part of a corporation that is based in beta, a certain level of defense is required, but most of the defense comes in early warning from gate guards, but roaming NPC's are still a threat.

Trying to split piloting skills between combat bots and industrial bots is not recommended out of the gate. You can get to a combat mech fairly quickly, but the support skills needed to be effective in that bot are very high, and the same is true for the Indy mech (Termis).

Hmm, ok, so an appropriate path would then be to concentrate on getting up to industrial mech and mining/gathering, and getting proficient at that, and then branching off into industry once I have reached a plateau in mining? as far as pve goes, if I need a break from mining, im fine with getting into a small bot and blowing up a few drones for the hell of it (for the time being anyways)

That is what I usually suggest for all single character players going into indy. Mining gives you a good steady income stream, and something to do while our production skills are increasing, then something to do while those production lines are running. Most indy players are captured with the allure of prototyping, that is something you can do, but the mass production, marketing, and mining skills don't overlap. That is getting a better material effciency in mass production (use less material and hence lower production cost) does not apply to making prototypes more effcient. However getting your tax reduction lower helps in selling ores and produced items.

The most important thing, is to have fun! Perp is a long-term game, so doing something you enjoy is more important then being 100% effcient at doing it.

Yeah, coming from Eve, I have perspective on the long term aspect of a game like this. I think to have fun mining or doing industry you basically need to belong to a good corp. Once I get home, I think I'm going to subscribe to get over the annoying restrictions on trial players, and because after 5+ years in eve the game seems to have gotten kinda bland, especially since I cant play often enough to maintain a presence in 0.0, and I think the way the mechanics seem to be right now I wont have to log in 3 times a day to check to see if our space has been taken over, or something I have to do that takes the fun out of the game, but I guess that remains to be seen. (I apologize if you never played eve, as what I'm saying might just come off as jumbled babbling)

I'll check out your corp thread and recruit channel when I get home too,  doing corp stuff and working together toward a common goal is part of what makes games like this so fun, especially if you take an industrial role. Id rather be in a mining op with corpmates than pve solo, although both have their place occasionally, but nothing is more entertaining than devising an operation in a corp with everyone having their role, then executing it.

I'm probably babbling now, so I'll stop tongue

Thank you for your input and advice.
See you on the other side.

Some interesting reading that help me out when I first started. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ing-guide/

You also have a military guide at http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … y-one-ger/ , but it sounds like the first one will be more to your liking.

Descent

Descent
Selling quality ore since 2011

heh, that first link was one of the first things I read before even logging into the game, but thanks for the link Descent. Subscribed yesterday big_smile, but didnt get the chance to look up any recruitment options, Maybe I'll get some time tonight

Darylist wrote:

heh, that first link was one of the first things I read before even logging into the game, but thanks for the link Descent. Subscribed yesterday big_smile, but didnt get the chance to look up any recruitment options, Maybe I'll get some time tonight

PIE's a decent corp :-)