1 (edited by Purgatory 2011-08-26 13:00:57)

Topic: Character reset idea.

Why not allow players to untrain extensions for a NIC cost?

You could do a full attribute re-assign too. But, in order to be able to use the attribute reset, you must first unspend all of your extensions. This stops abusing attribute reset to train skills efficiently.

Yay, no more need to delete characters ever again.

Re: Character reset idea.

From the PO Manifesto:

When it comes to character progression, we employ a very strict level playing field policy. This means that each and every character in the game progresses with their skills at the same rate, no exceptions. This way older characters will enjoy a unique versatility of playstyles as they fully learn certain skills, but in no way means that newer characters won’t be able to catch up to them in areas of their choice. The level playing field concept guarantees that older character means more versatile character.

NIC for EP changes would, in practise, amount to NIC-for-faster-training. Since extra NIC can be turned into greater versatility than would naturally be available to a character of your age. This would benefit rich and old players far more than the poor and young players who would benefit most from moving EP. Also, large corps would be able to fund "specialization tuning" prior to a big military push, to make sure their agents are at maximum efficiency during a campaign.

Arilou wrote:

From the PO Manifesto:

When it comes to character progression, we employ a very strict level playing field policy. This means that each and every character in the game progresses with their skills at the same rate, no exceptions. This way older characters will enjoy a unique versatility of playstyles as they fully learn certain skills, but in no way means that newer characters won’t be able to catch up to them in areas of their choice. The level playing field concept guarantees that older character means more versatile character.

NIC for EP changes would, in practise, amount to NIC-for-faster-training. Since extra NIC can be turned into greater versatility than would naturally be available to a character of your age. This would benefit rich and old players far more than the poor and young players who would benefit most from moving EP. Also, large corps would be able to fund "specialization tuning" prior to a big military push, to make sure their agents are at maximum efficiency during a campaign.

Not if you capped how often skills could be reset.

But why would you even want to reset your character? If there's a new direction you want to go, just start training for it. The easiest way to prevent reset abuse is to not allow resets.

It would be impossible to balance something that's really Meta-Game, that is your extensions effect your in game performance, but nothing you do in game (a minor fee for unlocking the extension aside) can effect your EP gain and allocation. Allowing an in game process, such as a NIC sink, to effect EP would be impossible to balance. The act of reallocating EP would become mandatory for min/maxing. If you limit how often a reset can be done, all that's done is fix the planning period. That is if you can do NIC based reset every 90 days, then you would plan your character around your current EP + the next 90 days, then plan again. What this ends up doing is completely removing the 'wait' for level 10 extensions, making your character maximally effcient with each reset, then adding back in the lower levels as the EP is earned. If you don't reset, then your 'behind' because your sitting on 40,000 EP waiting for level 10, which your opponent already has, but with only 3-4k unspent EP.

EP adjustment should be to correct for small changes in balance from patches, not for whole sale remodeling and 'trying' out different builds on demand.

IMO the 45 day account reset was fine with me it gives new players a chance to correct their mistakes. beyond that, account and skill resetting is just for flavor of the month fits. I say live with your decisions everyone. Most every fit will get the nerf bat once or twice ... it just sux when its your fit.

Screwed your account because you cant use brains? Buy NIC for $ and retrain your account! Click link below to download "How to swap your fits to be a miner and warrior with 20$ per day investments"

Please no reset for nics...

Terrible Idear

This Is Your Mother Speaking.

Hi mom

Goblin wrote:

Hi mom

Yes my son?

This Is Your Mother Speaking.

Purgatory wrote:

Why not allow players to untrain extensions for a NIC cost?

You could do a full attribute re-assign too. But, in order to be able to use the attribute reset, you must first unspend all of your extensions. This stops abusing attribute reset to train skills efficiently.

Yay, no more need to delete characters ever again.

I think this should be a purchasable item in a future item shop.  Respec one skill for $1.99.  There would be a maximum on one respec allowed per 30 days to prevent massive skill shifting.  For a small price players could adjust their EP allotments slowly without losing Kernels eaten or standings!

How about your bot/faction is completely changed in a patch and you wish you never chose that setup anymore? No option to respec, you're screwed.

Purgatory wrote:

How about your bot/faction is completely changed in a patch and you wish you never chose that setup anymore? No option to respec, you're screwed.

yeah I chose green because I heard grophos could reach near 1km range

now it's near 600. give me my respec imo

Purgatory wrote:

If this happens---I mean that you honestly believe without hyperbole that an entire faction or tier of bots has become next to worthless---then, my friend, it's time to lose faith in the devs and ragequit.

I'd just like to note that Your Mom's initial post in this thread pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/