Topic: Paid Teleport System

Original idea has been taken from the game "Mechanoids"

Teleport Stations should use a great amount of energy to transfer something. That means, they should get it somehow. Thats where and how we can use energy credit system too.

If you want to teleport on other island, you should pay some amount of energy credits (ec). For example, lets take it as 1000ec. So if you have enough ec on your or corporate vallet, you can jump easily wherever you want. But, if you have not enough (or even 0) of ec, you have a chance to get damage while teleporting - lesser ec you have, more chance and more damage you get, up to fully destroy. As an additional - price can be based on robot mass (with or without cargo).

Such teleport system can be impement between alpha and beta only, between any island regardless of type (less payment) or even between internal stations (very low cost).

Discuss, please.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Re: Paid Teleport System

Unless there's a specific goal you want to achieve with this feature (like, discourage large roams), I'd say no thanks. The travel is a hassle as it is.
And I don't think we need another obligatory farming duty (EC).

EC farming will be implemented anyway, so it's just additional way to use them. But teleports can use nics instead, it's just lesser logical.

So, goals:

• change "lessgo roam all teh islands" to "planned invasions"

• change "everybody jump to mechs/heavies gogogo" to "let's see what bot types and how much we can afford to use"

• additional money sink (in case of nics usage)

• change "haha i can jump on internal teleports gettin protection" to "omg last jump damaged me so much..can't do it again"

• change "lets hire moar ppl into corp/alliance and zerg-zerg-zerg" to "ok now jump to %teleport_name% and...(BOOM!)... HOLY *** WHO DIDN'T HAD ENOUGH NIC(EC)" or "we can't afford outblob them....crap"

• change "beta mining doesn't worth mining unless it's epri" to "*** it's cheaper to mine 2 (3,4) lithuses of %resource_name% here on beta than jumping 1 lithus from alpha"

Thats for beginning. You can find more pros (and cons for sure) by yourself.

Reduced travel and PvP activity, direct benefits to larger corps, more "must do"s for ordinary players.
Sorry I don't see any positive side to it. (Except it being logical in the theoretical/lore sense).

Just gotta ask whether this would make people more or less likely to actually do things. Anything. hmm

What in this proposal offers incentives, and for what activity?
What in this proposal represents a net growth of opportunities?

worst idea I have read on the boards, OP

Add pve content asap. Start the movement

This proposal - is just one of the ways to change current situation, which seems doesn't satisfy ppl enough. Im not positioning that as "must have" feature, it's just a thing that can be useful in some ways or useless in other. However, discussion may be interesting.

who gets the money that is paid? outpost owner of the sector?

but as others already pointed out - it would just create more counter-incentives to leave an island.

forcing player-corporations to choose which npc conglomerate they want to belong to and somehow give FACTIONS in this game a reason would probably make much more sense (if you dont want to, your a real pirate corp and you wont get any syndicate protection on alpha islands, and any non-pirate corps can attack you at any time... just as example)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Line wrote:

This proposal - is just one of the ways to change current situation, which seems doesn't satisfy ppl enough. Im not positioning that as "must have" feature, it's just a thing that can be useful in some ways or useless in other. However, discussion may be interesting.

It's really good of you to be putting ideas out like this. Who knows where someone might take them. The trick with this one is just that slapping a toll or tax on anything always acts as a disincentive. It would probably work to tax teles into places that people strongly want to be, so the tax is worthwhile to them. Or when certain islands start getting really crowded (congestion tax). Or teles that exist only to help you avoid something negative.

In general, I think taxed teles would have to be special cases only. I played Axis & Allies for a while which has neutral countries that you could occupy, but only if you paid for it. They were easy to ignore, and invading them wasn't necessary to play the game. But sometimes the tactical advantage was well worth the extra cost.