Topic: Island chat, can we have it?

Can we have a chat dedicated to islands?

Like Tellesis chat and so one?

I would like to know if there is people in my local area that i can play with and help around and socialize with. It is MMO after all, right?

General chats are usually full of random topics and the too many shy people.

2 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2011-08-24 00:28:21)

Re: Island chat, can we have it?

No damn local chat! If they EVER do have one.... delay function only. chat channel should never be able to be used like they are in stEVE.

imo devs here have the right idea.

edit: after reading a few other posts on subjects not related to this, full local chat on the alpha 1 islands might be a better idea.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

lol Goldfarmer spam, post-fight smack, general trolling, scam adverts? Pass.

You wanna talk to locals? Go find 'em and request a convo. Alternatively, start your own series of island channels. Post 'em on the forum.

Island wide chat?  No thanks.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

<someone joins island chat>
<miners logout>

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

<miners dockup>

fixed )

Arga wrote:
Norrdec wrote:

<miners dockup>
<blob undocks>

fixed )

^^fixed the fixed

yup pretty much, a island chat system would just show who is on what island or when they arrive, it would kill the point of having sensor/em strength since you could see a corp port to your island. if the player count suddenly went from 20 to 40 in a matter of seconds you can kinda figure out what is about to happen.

9 (edited by Celebro 2011-08-25 22:08:26)

Maybe not island chat, but a sector chat/detector system gives some chance to miners in beta, with 1000m from teleports undetected. I didn't work out so bad for eve, that doesn't mean we cannot implement it in a different way before we outright reject the idea.

RIP PERPETUUM

how many topics did we already have about this?

no to eve-like-sector chat,
yest to anything that enables short range communication between group of players that can see each other, withtout having to open a new channel or squad

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

My idea of a "local" would be to have a permanent channel where you would only see what other players are broadcasting within a -say- 1km radius. Or if we turn it around, if you write something, everyone within 1km would get it on that channel. No permanent channel members or anything, just a simple vicinity-chat. (No idea about the implementation or the network difficulties, just an idea.)

An island chat that never showed numbers, and never showed a member list might work. All you'd ever know from someone posting is that they were there at a particular time, but never who they were with, when they arrived, or whether/when they left.

With "vicinity" chat, you could maybe set your own broadcast range (like a volume knob). Your message goes to everyone in that range. Reasonable limits on range, ofc. And keep it outdoors-only to limit godawful terminal game smack.

nobody is keeping you from creating a telesis channel and promoting it ... however island wide autojoin chanels are not a good idea. they are simply not needed.

Arilou wrote:

An island chat that never showed numbers, and never showed a member list might work. All you'd ever know from someone posting is that they were there at a particular time, but never who they were with, when they arrived, or whether/when they left.

With "vicinity" chat, you could maybe set your own broadcast range (like a volume knob). Your message goes to everyone in that range. Reasonable limits on range, ofc. And keep it outdoors-only to limit godawful terminal game smack.

+11

<GargajCNS> we maim to please