Re: Missiles, shortest range and lowest damage?

I know this post is rather old, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

I recently cross trained missile bots, because the area I am in has lots of hills, and I wanted to be able to switch over my main damage type.  As an average skilled player, with an average fit (no t4 everything and tons of crap in my hanger to play with fits), I have to say, the range sucks.  Really sucks.  Where with my Artemis I can lock at 500+ km, begin firing around 300+m, with a Tyrannos I can still lock at range, but optimal even with a range extender is still only about 270.  That's the same head slot fittings, 2 sensor amp t1, a t3 extender, a damage mod.  And don't get me started on the damage.  it seems that even with my missile skills being comparable to my turret damage skills, the damage is lower by at least a third, at a lower rate of fire. 

Again, average skills, average fit, not the best perhaps but then I don't spend hours on end doing the math, I play the game.

52 (edited by Sundial 2011-08-15 01:47:02)

JonasML wrote:

I recently cross trained missile bots, because the area I am in has lots of hills, and I wanted to be able to switch over my main damage type.  As an average skilled player, with an average fit (no t4 everything and tons of crap in my hanger to play with fits), I have to say, the range sucks.  Really sucks.  Where with my Artemis I can lock at 500+ km, begin firing around 300+m, with a Tyrannos I can still lock at range, but optimal even with a range extender is still only about 270.  That's the same head slot fittings, 2 sensor amp t1, a t3 extender, a damage mod.  And don't get me started on the damage.  it seems that even with my missile skills being comparable to my turret damage skills, the damage is lower by at least a third, at a lower rate of fire. 

Again, average skills, average fit, not the best perhaps but then I don't spend hours on end doing the math, I play the game.

Medium ballistic missiles have a base range of 270, but do 70 damage instead of 105 and also have a bigger explosion size.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

I respecced green dreaming of one day piloting a gropho with 900 range and my hopes and dreams were shot down as they were nerfed literally like couple weeks after I made that decision.

Big *** thumbs down

JonasML wrote:

270m with medium missiles ? seems low. I am getting there with lights ...

medium compact missiles have same range as smalls. but three times the burst damage.

ontop of that, the missile assault has a range bonus which lets it shoot small missile at longer distance as the Mech can with short range ammo.

@Goblin: Thats what i would say smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

JonasML wrote:

Your post is a bit weird - to say the least.
First you tell us that you're living in an area full of hills. Then you're glorifiying the (long range) Artemis.
You realize something?
You take the same fitting for two different bots, with different stats and different weapon systems.
You realize something?
Pr0 tip for you: change one sensor amp. for another range extender. No need to lock at 500m when you can shoot only at 270m. Besides you have two more weapon/misc slots left and that you can actually do something with your accumulator.

Funny.

I just use Arbalest and smaler bots atm but even at 150 to 200m I get problems with plants, buildings and terrain .... you can to call me woodworker as I killed hole forrests allready just to get a free line of sight smile.

Don't like to know how damn hard it is, to hit stuff at 600+ WITHOUT shoting the dirt wink.