Topic: Picture Icons for Corporation Storages

Dunno if this has been suggested before but my corp has a lot of folders in our public storage bin and we share a lot of items between us but perhaps adding an option to change the folder picture icon to something more meaningful so it's a little easier to sort through the folders?

Re: Picture Icons for Corporation Storages

This is sort of like the CT thing.  People could just exercise their ability to read the text that's under the icon.  I'd imply that the dev team has other, larger fish we'd like them to fry like making cargo expansion for chassis slots or somesuch.  Yeah, custom icons would be nice, I suppose.  Bothering to create sensible, standardized storage groups would mitigate the need in much the same way that Microsoft's SharePoint is unnecessary if you properly manage a file structure and leverage features already available in Outlook and Exchange.  Not that I dislike the miserably slow, database-driven idiocy that is SharePoint.  I mean, yeah, let's upload our entire file structure into an SQL server where it requires a stinking series of queries to locate objects and build web pages on the fly which is a bajillion times slower than using a couple of mapped network drives.  Oh sure it can be shared over port 80 via http and traverse most firewalls without any excess admin configuration, but if our admins weren't *** who didn't know how to configure their own firewalls it wouldn't be such a drama-fest to use a more efficient, existing system instead of resorting to the latest marketing buzz word product solution because our upper level management bit off on the whole cloud storage and cloud computing scam without bothering to do enough research to understand that the terminology hasn't been standardized and really means absolutely nothing at all except as a redress of technology that's been in common use for years but needed a catch-all branding for marketing becuase stupid humans would suddenly become enamored with the latest magical "new" thing like a stinking iPad...

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Are you from Apple Johnny? Because you very butthurt on microsoft (again) big_smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Are you from Apple Johnny? Because you very butthurt on microsoft (again) big_smile

If Apple had any presence at all in the enterprise market space, I'd complain about them too.  Instead, their primary target market is stupid yuppies who presume that paying a 50% markup for a computer with a custom GUI atop BSD suddenly makes it magical.  So, no I'm not slurping up the koolaid from their marketing department.

But that's neither here nor there.  Let's try to stay focused on the matter in addressed in the thread rather than wander off on some wild tangent.  I was merely comparing SharePoint to the need for icon customizations.  Nether are necessary if people would bother to structure their corporate storage areas in a way that was standardized across all outposts and terminals and leveraged the alphabetical sorting nature of the current interface.  Finally, players accessing the storage should READ THE TEXT instead of depending on the pictures.  While I'd understand making things more iconic if this game were being marketed at toddlers and preschool age children (and I sometimes wonder if we don't have a few of them after reading the silly ball bashing and e-peen waving in other threads) the fact is that literacy is probably commonplace across the board among the player population, making icon development something of a nicety rather than a necessity.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

5 (edited by Norrdec 2011-08-10 14:24:11)

Well actually the way they are going in ergonomics almost everywhere is to make the graphic different and use less text.

Something which is in most of apps since a few years back, look at the difference between ie. save and open buttons.

Yeah we could have everything in text, but go ahead and play a MUD big_smile We are using a nice looking (and colorful!) game  so why not customize it. Saying there are things more worth doing than graphics, ergonomics and similar is kinda like shooting yourself in the leg (or face). I don't advocate doing only or 80% of the time to spend on doing the bots looks nicer, but that's a major part of the game.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Sure graphics are important to visually-oriented people.  We have trained society pretty well with visual overload in such a way that your mental functionality is dependent on little pictures rather than being more flexibly attuned to operating in a myriad of different modes and that's something a game developer has to appeal to or face criticism from those that dont' want to or simply cannot exhibit the flexibility necessary to become efficient with a given user interface.  I'm okay with accepting those limitations as much as I'm equally at home with acknowledging that most humans are similar to lemmings.

those that don't want to or simply cannot exhibit the flexibility necessary to become efficient with a given user interface

You aren't a designer are you? The ability to cope with poorly conceived interfaces is indeed a useful trait. But your statement there is like claiming that building a bridge is just a concession to all the lemmings that can't be arsed to cross a river by boat.

Icons are not about the primacy of visuals, but that good design engages people on as many levels as possible and makes tasks as natural as possible for the target audience. Distinct icons are not about "visual overload," but about our being trained from birth to know that different things look different (and the corollary, same things look the same).

Despite being a Slack-er, I highly doubt you'd prefer that PO be totally free of visuals.

you work at HP Johnny ? sounds like it :-)

anyway if one could switch the default container layout to the one you get for all items, it would be loads better. then the containers would simply be expandable lists and naming would be more effective (easier to skim a list of names verticaly than to travel both directions).

pretty icons are only needed for item groups imo.

I'd be Ok with the CT% being written out in the textual description when it created, and updated each time it was extracted.