Topic: How many people / accounts does Perpetuum have?

I enjoy playing Perpetuum as a hobby - perhaps even more than stEve.

But I wonder, how many people / accounts does Perpetuum have and what is the trend?

I'm just interested.

Re: How many people / accounts does Perpetuum have?

Would be great to know but I don't really expect an answer.

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Actually, I've managed to answer my own question:

http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … ph_600.png

500 peak over the last 24 hours.

I think the game deserves more popularity than this!

I wouldn't think to ask a company to publically divulge their specific user metrics so early on in the goings.  In a few other threads, there have been vague hints about it.

If you were inclined to doing a little research and math, you could calculate an approximation to get a very coarse estimate based on the PCU is stEVE at a point when there was a know number of subscribers.  Given those two numbers, you could estimate a ratio of PCU/subscriptions and then apply it to the known PCU of Perp from the server activity chart that AC publishes.  This would give you a rough idea without very much leg-work.

Would it be dependable?  Maybe not, but Perp probably attracts somewhat similar player personalities when compared to stEVE.  One could assume that the population here would have similar gaming habits and comparable usage models.  I'd caution you not to put too much faith in the calculations.

Then again, a Dev could just post the numbers and the speculation would be unnecessary.  Then all the stEVE developer spies that are here looking for their lost community would have another piece of information that they want.  <Tinfoil hat brigade to the rescue!>

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

As I recall though, stEve started off small and gradually built up over time.

Hopefully, history will repeat itself.

I'm all for buying a paintjob for my mech - I just hope the price isn't as high as a monocle in stEve!

I hope some aspects of history repeat themselves.  Let's omit the leaked internal documents and company e-mail and some of the drama.  Additionally, I'd like to avoid the possibility of corporate suicide by leaping into the pit of knives that is the development of two other MMOs at once.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

I totally agree with you!

I hope both World of Darkness and stEve prosper, but it's easy to have cynical thoughts.

I think some controversy can be a good thing because it makes the game interesting. But everything in moderation.

Mors Magne wrote:

Actually, I've managed to answer my own question:

http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … ph_600.png

500 peak over the last 24 hours.

I think the game deserves more popularity than this!

That's just online users. It doesn't count people who aren't, uh, online.

I'm off on a business trip but my two accounts are still paid up til the end of time or something.

As to online people, that always goes down during the summer and bumps way up in the winter. It's a good time of year for trips and late night activities, so people have other stuff to do.

The important question is do the devs consider the game viable to continue with? So far the answer appears to be yes. As long as they keep developing it and keeping getting it out it'll grow. Unlike the theme park style thing, it ends up being self sustaining.

I do hope they add in plex trading soonish. Great way to help a game as it lets those that want to spend money trade with those who want to farm without circumventing the game economy.

Yes, online users =/= total population.  That's why I was suggesting comparing a known PCU to a total subscription count in stEVE to estimate the total number of subscriptions in Perp.

By the way, without doing any real research, stEVE used to run around 55k accounts connected when they had around 450k subscribers.  That's about 12% of the population connected and playing during peak hours.  So, dragging that principal over to Perp, you can hazard a guess that the roughly 400-500 connected during peak times means around 4000 subscribers.  Mind you those are all off-the-cuff estimates so I might be way out there.  I'm not factoring in a huge number of variables that can contribute to changing that ratio like the seasonal lulls that Pigster mentioned above.

Between 2500 to 5000 active subscriptions.

I like ponies!

I'd like to see the pop counts closer to the 5k end of that range, personally.  Internet Robots are a fun diversion.

Perp is global, so the 'summer' reduction issue should be offset a little by the southern hemi-sphere. We just need to get a good Aussie showing in here! New Zealand of course is also highly desirable... heck, all of those southern countries can come play!

I'm just a little bummed that the PST timezone is completely devoid of land mass in the south, but the western south america can bolster up the EST!

Viva-la-Perptuum!

Arga wrote:

I'm just a little bummed that the PST timezone is completely devoid of land mass in the south, but the western south america can bolster up the EST!

You did elect to live in this time zone, you know.  It's not anyone's fault but your own that you live in n00b standard time.  By the way, when I'm online and doing stuff, you're usually not talking anyway.  I have no sympathy for you when I spend an entire evening telling you some of the best jokes ever which you insist afterwards were not funny.

My guesstimate is between 11000 - 13000 accounts. About 3000-5000 active over a week period.

Squint wrote:

My guesstimate is between 11000 - 13000 accounts. About 3000-5000 active over a week period.

Really?  That high?  I'm not being a jerk...I hope, but I'd like to understand the basis for your estimate.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:
Squint wrote:

Really?  That high?  I'm not being a jerk...I hope, but I'd like to understand the basis for your estimate.

This game runs across 24 time zones. At its highest on weekends there is an average of 900 logged in accounts across about 12 of the zones. Add to that, on average only 10% of accounts of accounts are active at any given period. Consider player trends such as some people play once a week etc. Add it all together into simple maths approximately 500 accounts per timezone (500 x 24 = 12000).

I argue!  If this were the case the Perp GTG would be in the planning stages. wink

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Squint wrote:
Johnny EvilGuy wrote:
Squint wrote:

This game runs across 24 time zones. At its highest on weekends there is an average of 900 logged in accounts across about 12 of the zones. Add to that, on average only 10% of accounts of accounts are active at any given period. Consider player trends such as some people play once a week etc. Add it all together into simple maths approximately 500 accounts per timezone (500 x 24 = 12000).

You're suggestion 500 unique visitors every hour?
More like 100 to 200. (That's a lot closer to the right answer)

Mhm.  Look  at total registered forum users, realize demo accounts are in there, weigh accordingly.

Still chugging along happily though I wager.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Total number of posters: 19,490
Total number of posts: 42,013
Total number of posts by Arga: 1,754 (1755)

That's 4.1% of the posts. How long are you all going to make me carry you! Get to posting now!

I'd actually multiply peak by 10 to 30, based on our roster. No more than 10 to 15% on simultaneously. So 5k to 15k, possibly 20 to 30k. Summer drop matters because the largest part of the gaming population is in the northern hemisphere. Global south is poorer and has less activity online, fewer people in total and worse net connections.

I think they're doing pretty well for themselves, although obviously not the level they want to be a in the future. But for a year old indie mmo with a niche focus, current numbers are phenomenal. And considering the strong positive feedback they get from current customers, excellent service and commitment to further dev, I'd say they have a bright future ahead if they keep going. I'd guess 2-4k peak within a couple years based on eve's history.

If we consult http://www.mmodata.net/ ; before the EVE debacle there was just under 2.5k subs. So the "between 2.5k and 5k" guess is probably the best thing we have atm. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

If we consult http://www.mmodata.net/ ; before the EVE debacle there was just under 2.5k subs. So the "between 2.5k and 5k" guess is probably the best thing we have atm. smile

I agree with everything Syndic says becuase his estimate encompasses mine in the range of numbers.  I selectively ignore any other data no matter how factual it might be should it differ.

The actual number of accounts doesn't matter from a game play standpoint, it's the subjective feel of the world.

Is it crowded or sparse?

And our own corps drive our perceptions, if the corp chat is totally empty everytime you log in, then the world is going to feel like it's less active.

Or in johnny's case, when everyone logs off right after he shows up.

The lack of a thriving market also makes if feel less active. There are still many items out there that are big 0's on the board.

Last but not least is if your spending most of your time in any particular area, be it alpha or beta, that has a low population the world will just feel sparser.

Time/location/desired activities all shade the perception of how active the game is.

Arga wrote:

The actual number of accounts doesn't matter from a game play standpoint, it's the subjective feel of the world.

This idea of the game's income having an impact on development and improvement doesn't matter or have something to do with the subjective feel?

Arga wrote:

And our own corps drive our perceptions, if the corp chat is totally empty everytime you log in, then the world is going to feel like it's less active.

You're hiding yet another gripe about your time zone in there.  I can "subjectively feel" it from here.

Arga wrote:

Or in johnny's case, when everyone logs off right after he shows up.

That's only because everyone knows that the corp is in good hands when I'm around.  They know that all matters will be handled in the best way possible. wink

Arga wrote:

The lack of a thriving market also makes if feel less active. There are still many items out there that are big 0's on the board.

<shameless plug> Move to Shin with to help NeX with the market there.  </shameless plug>

Arga wrote:

Last but not least is if your spending most of your time in any particular area, be it alpha or beta, that has a low population the world will just feel sparser.

Sometimes, being alone is nice.  There are fewer people with which to compete for limited resources.  In my early stEVE days, I enjoyed desolate systems that contained nearly no one else.  In my twilight stEVE days, there were people stacked atop one another all fighting for limited raw materials so I stopped bothering to undock.  Sure the social interaction was amusing, but I like to drink alone with myself.  The rest of you keep your bots off my lawn!

Arga wrote:

Time/location/desired activities all shade the perception of how active the game is.

Captain Obvious strikes again!