Topic: The concept of unique items

Hi, i used to play a mmo which had a very fun concept of having a so called unique items(robots for example). These were very powerful (but not game-breaking) items and only one instance of them could exist in the whole game world. Usually obtainable through a mini-quest (these quests were positioned always at same well known world position) and guarded by a spawn of powerful npc-s. These items would decay over time (usually a 1-2 day period) and finally got destroyed after the timer expired. After they got destroyed there was a small random period (usually 1-2 hours) and the mini-quest would reset, making the item obtainable again.

This led to a very interesting fights over the uniques, and could improve the beta experience.

Re: The concept of unique items

Against, because it'd get chain farmed by the biggest corp.

Well, maybe if the quest npc spawned in a random location on beta and only stuck around for an hour a day unless engaged.

unique items usually exist in games where you... not lose them upon death

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

4 (edited by Jurgen Haabermeister 2011-08-07 23:15:49)

Juan Valdez wrote:

Against, because it'd get chain farmed by the biggest corp.

Well, maybe if the quest npc spawned in a random location on beta and only stuck around for an hour a day unless engaged.

I see your point about them being chain farmed, so i would like to propse a slightly different mechanics. Each item would have a timer set to 47 hours (for example, it could be made random).
After the items are destroyed by the timer, the quests reset, but they all reset at the same time. I doubt that even the biggest corporation would have the resources to claim them all, because they would be spread all over the beta islands.
Cheers

miniquest: build mk2 heavy solo