1 (edited by Vexrak 2010-11-25 18:07:33)

Topic: Which bot type do YOU think is the best for pvp and why

So I found out about perpetuum right at the end of beta and never had a chance to get involved in pvp. With that said before i commit a substantial amount of ep in one races robot type I would like to get some opinions on what the experienced community thinks about them in regards to pvp.

I am solely interested in pvp both large group and smaller scale/solo pvp.

With that said I currently am debating between Magnetic weapon and Lazer bots. My initial take after reading up on the information I could find was that MW bots were designed to be fast bots with short range, high damage, and the possibility for a very nice active tank (armor repairers) at later stages.

While the lazer bots were slower, with more buffer tank capability, and designed for longer range encounters. I also noticed the seth had a bonus for shields which I do not entirely understand the usefulness/mechanics of.

Sounds to me like lazer bots would be supreme in larger fights where you have someone else to tackle for you and want to focus snipe targers down while the MW bots might be better for solo pvp where your chasing the enemy down and if fitted properly may give you a better chance at taking down multiple targets when outnumbered assuming u manage to get in range.

I am mainly interested in doing damage and racking up kills, but I do plan to dabble into electronic warfare later on and I wasn't sure which of the two races offered the more useful bots.

Looked like the numqoil bots were similar to the falcon in eve online which was designed to stop your enemy from targeting you entirely while the theo bots were about slowing the locking times of enemy snipers down from a long distance to give you time to focus with your snipers or to get in closer and shotgun their faces.

Anyway here is a list of bullet point questions feel free to let me know if my assumptions or wrong or to provide more information.

1. What is the standard solo/small scale pvp robot for each race and which do u think is the most viable when it comes to realistic damage dealing? And is Solo pvp even something viable enough to take into account?

2. In pvp particularly fights involving 10+ people on each side how hard is it for the magnetic weapon bots to be useful and to get in range?

3. In solo pvp if I went for the kain how worried would I need to be about getting into a situation where I simply can't get into range of my enemy before he puts me down. And is the blue bots inate faster speed as beneficial as I think it will be when it comes to tracking people down?

4. Which EW bot/mech do you think it more useful assuming you intend to be the agressor and out numbered in most situations?

5. Is using shields on lazer bots like the seth ideal or is fitting a buffer tank the way to go?

6. At higher ep levels assuming you fit for it how good is active tanking (one or multiple armor repairers supplimented with armor hardners and fit with just enough armor to avoid getting spiked down)? Do the blue bots with their racial bonus of increased armor rep really have an advantage one way or the other in that department?

7. Finally if I were to go Numqiol bots with the intent to get as much speed as possible, designated active tank design, and good close range dps as a solo or small scale pvp build do you think it would be viable or is their something I am missing?

As you can tell I am leaning toward the blue bots atm, but I would like to get opinions from people more experienced then I am also no offense to any players going with green bots I would still like to hear from you about them in regards to pvp, but after initially playing caldari in eve I have an aversion to missile races.

Re: Which bot type do YOU think is the best for pvp and why

Any missile boat type. Just faceroll and win. big_smile

Intakt > Waspish > Zenith > Mesmer

IMO

The Game

Alexander wrote:

IMO

For solo pvp, group pvp, or just in general?

Solo PVP is worst indicator for anything....

Alexander wrote:

IMO

why not arbalest > kain > mesmer? since mesmer is kains big brother>

intakt for suppression and demob

waspish for awesome bot range and LOS

zenith for ecm spam

mesmer for enormous stopping power

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Neoxx wrote:

zenith for ecm spam

Wouldn't you want a Vagabond for that?

Zenith rolls with the EW range bonus <3

The Blind Bot -- watch your six, my aim aint so good these days!

Cid Jorgumeri wrote:

Zenith rolls with the EW range bonus <3

For supressors ya but not for ECM's also I get the feeling vagabond would be better for ECM because of the bonus to its strength making it more likely to break the lock.

Or am I missing something?

Also one of the biggest questions I wanted answered was if active tanking was viable at higher EP levels.

The metagame is going to shift radically as big bugs get fixed and balance is put into line with reason. By the time this game stabilizes (if it doesn't get shut down due to lack of funds before then) things will be completely different. Choose something that sounds interesting to you now and have some fun. Don't worry about making a suboptimal choice. It's almost totally random if the choice you make will end up over- or under-powered.

Arkhe, because it's cheap to lose even though it dies quickly.  Also, in large groups, you're less likely to attract attention in "only and Arkhe" so you stand a fair chance at being able to retreat when things start to go sour.  Due to the low cost, it has the highest relative DPS vs NIC ratio in the game.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Argano

Trap Card wrote:

Argano

Agreed, the Argano is also a very respectable PvP bot.  No one suspects the Argano so it's quite stealthy even though it's more costly than the Arkhe.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

Untill you get in a corp and see what the fleet flavor is, this is impossible to determine. FC's will call for specific fleets just like they do in all games that require blobbing for large fleet to work.

I'm training Theo because they can switch out to multi spec ammo and work short range fights or go with thier long range. They do have the most demanding LOS specs though. Even when I think I have a flat terrain I am punching the ground. I don't know if the graphical effect for simply missing with a laser is the same as the LOS failure though. Hopefully they will add some graphics for LOS at some point in either case.

WTF, what a necro post.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Ioci, you've made an excellent point.  No bot is universally the answer to a pvp situation except, possibly, the argano.  The sad fact is that there are too many people resorting to wimpy methods like tanking or ewar to win.  And even worse, there are people that exploit terrain.  Bah!  Stand there and shoot each other!  May the best arkhe/argano blob win!