Re: wtf is going on with docking timers?

John Rourke wrote:

I think the longer docking timers are a good move by the devs, making the triangle less viable and making the instant re-fit tougher on betas.

Dude.. your face

I think the Docking Timers should be increased to 5 mins.  This will help me refelect on my poor choices when i undock in the wrong bot again.

Ville wrote:

This will help me refelect on my poor choices

I can help you with that tongue

Syndic wrote:

Today was the first day since Perpetuum released that I had time to play & decided to go play something else.

And then I ran into the "You must gather your party before venturing forth" line in Baldurs Gate, so I just decided to watch something instead. lol

the monsters rejoice for the party has been destroyed, my favorite line from earlier games lol

yes pls.
reduce that looooong time.
and if possible add an "abort deploy" too.
tnx for cooperation,
best regards

31 (edited by Tiny Tim 2011-08-06 10:00:15)

docking timer has to be reduced. this is too annoying.

ugh......i am able to hand in and collect missions on 3 accounts and still have 20 secs left on that frikkin timer when i hit undock.

I just came back from a little holiday, in the patch we'll do something about it. And yes, it was definetely about the situation "death->respawn in an arke->undock->bug the fighters".  It became rather complicated over time, and could be that somewhere behind the scenes the mechanism went mad...

\o/

nice, cheers smile

Perhaps you need something crappier than an Arkhe as the free robot.  That or slap on a 5 minute deploy penalty if it is an Arkhe.  Everything else is the standard deploy delay.

There is a penalty if you try and deploy in arkhe after you died... Kinda sucks when the homebase bug happens and your stuck somewhere with no bots as back up. Walk of shame....

Yeah friday night it was a full minute and a quarter on the undock timer on Alpha, never checked it that night on beta tho.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

I see nothing shameful in using an arkhe.  Aside the fact that it'd do a bit better with slightly more cargo space, it's an otherwise perfecty adequate bot for the cost-sensitive sorts among us.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I used an Arkhe to run the 0 level transports to Hakkabor because even with the 5 minute timer I could get to .21 quicker by sending the Arkhe to the beach spawn with Asi Alpha set to home base. That timer never changed. The standard undock has climbed 20 or more seconds over time. You might just need to do a weekly reboot. 1 hr of downtime a week won't make or break Perp.

From a stability standpoint, server software products and operating systems shouldn't require daily or even weekly restarts to remain stable.  Of course, in recent times we've made things a bit more complex with virtualization to support on-demand scaling and mobility across hardware in the event of component failure, but services that are outward-facing towards a customer population should be high-availability with minimal downtime.

That was one thing that always annoyed me about stEVE.  The daily cluster restarts spoke volumes about improper database design.  They were depending on MS SQL products.  I've personally seen such systems sustain large numbers of transactions in realtime demand situations run for several months with no need for nightly reboot silliness.  Granted stEVE was a somewhat unique cluster that is sitting atop nonconventional gear like RAMSANs, but all of the gear was still available on the open market.

I can understand shutting off services for backups (though shadow copy services make downtime for that reason less excusable these days), to blow dust out of cooling fans, or to swap a dead disk out of an array.  That shouldn't need to be a daily ordeal though.  Then again, I admit I don't know what's happening behind the scenes.  Perhaps there were good reasons.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

From a stability standpoint, server software products and operating systems shouldn't require daily or even weekly restarts to remain stable.  Of course, in recent times we've made things a bit more complex with virtualization to support on-demand scaling and mobility across hardware in the event of component failure, but services that are outward-facing towards a customer population should be high-availability with minimal downtime.

That was one thing that always annoyed me about stEVE.  The daily cluster restarts spoke volumes about improper database design.  They were depending on MS SQL products.  I've personally seen such systems sustain large numbers of transactions in realtime demand situations run for several months with no need for nightly reboot silliness.  Granted stEVE was a somewhat unique cluster that is sitting atop nonconventional gear like RAMSANs, but all of the gear was still available on the open market.

I can understand shutting off services for backups (though shadow copy services make downtime for that reason less excusable these days), to blow dust out of cooling fans, or to swap a dead disk out of an array.  That shouldn't need to be a daily ordeal though.  Then again, I admit I don't know what's happening behind the scenes.  Perhaps there were good reasons.

While I agree with you that things like rebooting shouldn't need to be done every day, the sad fact is that stuff is going to go wrong and need fixing/updating/replacing on a semi-regular basis.. That and eves backend is running on windows servers whos up-times usually get measured in days not months (when run properly they can easily get months but they are rarely run properly) also doesn't help. Its also much more convenient to the players to know when the servers are going to go down (weather they do work on them or not) so they can schedule around it..

Your choices are basically once a day, once a week or once a month.. Anything more complex than that and you may as well not bother to make it regular and just take the servers down when stuff needs to be done. Once a month is too infrequent for code and hardware updates (and code updates do get pushed to the servers while they are down) so its down to once a week (aka, WoW) or once a day (aka EVE). TBH I personally prefer 30 mins a day downtime (even if it IS in the middle of my prime time) than a whole day offline..

Running a Windows server correctly is fairly easy.  Running a massive cluster is another story.  Nonetheless, if an orgnization elects to adopt certain technologies and implement them in a specific way, it's reasonable to expect that the have the know-how to do so correctly.  Either that, or they can contract such services from a third party.  Weekly downtime is excusable.  Unscheduled panic downtime is as well, but shutting down daily?  To me thay seems like inadequate planning or a lack of expertise.

wtf are you talking about??

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

How about a game of chess?

Annihilator wrote:

Arkhes respawn timers require server restars, which is all Microsofts fault. Duh! big_smile

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Increasing  undocking time is a game mechanic and we can (ab)use it all we want!

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Predator Nova wrote:

Arkhes respawn timers require server restars, which is all Microsofts fault. Duh! big_smile

It's always Microsoft's fault.  In fact, I bet they're to blame for the Arkhe's abysmal CPU output.

Though...I'd be more inclined to accuse Oracle of being at fault.  They probably wrote the Java VM for the alien hardware.  hmm  All the control software has to be translated on-the-fly from bytecode which reduces processor performance.

I suggest adding a mini-game.

So if you click the undock button, and the timer isn't up, Bejeweled window opens to occupy your time while you wait.

Arga wrote:

I suggest adding a mini-game.

So if you click the undock button, and the timer isn't up, Bejeweled window opens to occupy your time while you wait.

Isn't click-spamming the deploy button good enough for you?  What's wrong with bot spinning?  The devs already gave you two perfectly good mini-games and you demand more?

-.-

Ok, just add a spin counter then, so I can attempt to beat my high-spin score... some people are competitive and require numbers be attachced to our activites in order to measure ourselves against ourselves and others.

The docking timer was implemented to provide more free time to worship argano.

Thanks for sorting this out.... next time,  do it faster!

<- never happy yarr