Re: Sector chat or bubble chat

+100 at least who want this feature (from in-game)

We need some kind of local chat in any form

+1 we need local chat specially in beta, this will do away with TP camping and hearing that horrible sound all day. This will make beta much safer and easier for defenders, there is no need to for more goodies for beta players the advantage is already there compared to alpha. what's needed is an easier way to defend outposts and players will flock in I'm certain about that, intrusion 2.0 seems a great change but not enough imho.

RIP PERPETUUM

The ability to talk locally would be nice but it either needs to be optional or anonymous.
For the most part this wouldn't work so I don't think it's needed.

It should be easier to join groups or chat channels perhaps?

Maybe anonymous will do never optional. My intention is intel for defence as soon as you enter a sector you should automatically have intel on numbers at least and having the option on communication if you want of course.

This make beta so much more interesting both for attackers and defenders too.

RIP PERPETUUM

+1 for Huge rage burst broadcast on all communication frequencies smile

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

I'd like a range based tweet sort of message, but absolutely no local chat for an island.

I know that a lot of RPers really prefer the ability to speak in a distance sensitive manner, so having something along that line would be good for their community. I'm not sure _what_ they'd RP about, but there's no good reason not to support roleplay.

***, I wouldn't mind flat out twitter integration. It'd be handy for me anyway.

32 (edited by Rodger Wilcoe 2011-08-02 22:15:05)

Celebro wrote:

you should automatically have intel on numbers at least and having the option on communication if you want of course.

No you shouldn't. If you want numbers, you scout the island.

Any remotely decent Beta corp would have an Intel channel for reporting enemies and coordinating attacks/responses. Any remotely decent attacker would have the same.

Island specific chat, especially Beta should be anonymous until you speak.

As for "bubble chat" I can see its usefulness, however I can also see potential for abuse. Also I agree it doesn't really fit with current lore.

But what next? Bot emotes? Dancing robots? You want crap like that go back to WoW or Borderlands.

Also a big no for "Twitter" integration. FFS roll

I always enjoyed watching Claptrap *** the air.

bubble chat ftw, because its LoS based without any actual LoS check, faster then PM, and the "realistic" short range voice com would be to easy to abuse and mostly not used by serious player.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Celebro wrote:

Maybe anonymous will do never optional. My intention is intel for defence as soon as you enter a sector you should automatically have intel on numbers at least and having the option on communication if you want of course.

This make beta so much more interesting both for attackers and defenders too.

A island channel so you can see everyone on it will not make things more interesting.

No local chat unless optional or user list is hidden.

Bubble chat...I like it.

I'm more meh about an island channel of any sort or a range based channel.  I should have point the camera at anther bot or potentially miss a comment.  That way, I can stare at the ground and sing, "Tra la la!  I'm can't seeee yooou!"

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

distress message coms :-) limited range, blinks your bot on the radar to ANYONE in range, shows text above bot and in combat log. can use it once in a while (some kind of recharge rate) to prevent abuse.

I like the distress beacon. Either a new chat, or a pm-like windows with message and/or coords of the person sending it?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Bubble chat makes the game too cartoonish methinks
Range chat is good

Age old discussion Look here for the beta thread.

Lack of the ability to talk to the white dots around you makes Perpetuum feel like an awfully lonely place sometimes.

Just make it like SecondLife; chat has a range.  If you're outside that range you don't see it at all.   What that range might be would either be the sensor range of your mech (allowing long-range sneaky mechs to eavesdrop on a lot of chats) or a fixed range.  There is no channel listing, the speaker's name only appears on what they say.  Say nothing & no one knows you're there until they spot you.