Topic: Assault bots versus Mechs

Hey guys, I have basic robotics and advanced robotics both at level 5. Any advancement in either catergory is starting to become a serious EP investment. Im at a cross roads at which robot type to choose.

As of now, my resources are limited, so replacing an assault bot is extremely easy, compared to the cost of Mechs being around 3 million and above. Could I be deadly wielding a Waspish? Or would Mech uses brush me aside? Pros and Cons please.

2 (edited by Syndic 2011-07-30 06:12:17)

Re: Assault bots versus Mechs

Hm thats a pretty tough call.

What does sound more appealing to you, something you'd enjoy driving for months on months end? If you didn't have to worry about NIC, what would you choose?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

What are your intentions? Are you considering PvP or PvE?
If PvP, are you planing to participate on intrusion, homedefense and such like within a corp on beta, or more into the direction hit and run roaming? I see you are in no Corp but you might be planing on joining a beta corp.

For PvP you will have a lot of fun with lights and assaults and its a good cost::fun factor.  Especially when you are solo PvPing and do hit and run guerrilla warfare.
For Homedefense and Intrusions etc. within a corp,  you will probably be better off, skilling towards a Mech. They might also have the technological means of supplying mechs to you. So the cost will not completly be a burden to yourself.

If you are not to sure yet, which direction you want to follow, you can always skill the other extensions for the time being. As with most extensions you will benifit with both, lights /assault and mechs. If you leave the faction weapon systems and advanced/basic robotics untouched for the time you need to decide.

For PvE, I would probably use a Mech, and if farming ligh/t assault,s I´d fit some light guns on them, for less misses. You will be tanked enough to just sit in the spawn or to take on Mech spawns also.

Take your time, and at the end of the day you most likley will have skilled both trees, lights and mechs. So you can´t go that wrong with you EP distribution.

Walk Save and Godspeed,
o7

MoBIoS

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

Basic Robotics 5
Basic faction weapon 5

That's what you need for mechs later anyway (or was it 4?).
Stay with this until you got for example the fitting and energy extensions to 5 too (you will need/want them later for mechs too). Once you got them, you will very likely have no NIC problems anymore too wink. So "small" Mechs like Kains aren't a biggy if you lose one (except full T4 fit *g*) when used with T1.

To start with PvP light bots with full T1 fits can be fun too ^^. And if you lose one ... farm some new T1 stuff from NPCs smile.

Thanks guy,

Im going to spend my EP in other areas like accumulator recharge rate and missile fail rate until I join a corp and take it from there.

Thanks again!

I would do both. I skilled up my combat character that way, as well as putting alot of points into Ewar. It takes you longer, but you're not hemmed into one bot. Nothing would suck more then your buddys going out to do something and you can't go along because you can't pilot the type of bots they are. Plus, for light stuff, I still farm in my baphomet mk2. My seth with 3 stabilizers and percision firing 9 still doesnt kill lights as fast as my bapho. For assault bots and up though the seth wins out.

Reset each other yet?

I am at the same crossroads myself, but I decided to start investing in Mechs. The downside is when roaming, I will never be able to use my Tyranos, so I will never see the EP I spend in mech specific stuff while roaming. The upside is with the intrusion changes, being able to defend certain points on a daily basis will be extremely useful when responding to attackers or when launching mech based attack forces.

If you wan't to roam and use mechs, the only option is a Kain. Tyranos/Artemis simply cannot keep up. If you don't think you will be defending/attacking anything and just want to randomly roam, stick with an assult since you are pelistal.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Mechs can be handy on roams, but assaults are just more versatile in a lot of ways. With the upcoming nuke of lwf and buff in bot base speed, mechs will be slower and light class stuff better able to dictate engagements.

If you intend to solo, you're more likely to get people with an assault than a mech thanks to 25% higher masking. Big difference. You also have higher base speed, which you can exploit with expensive gear. But you are less likely to kill rivelers solo in an assault (correctly tanked riv can get to nearby outpost before you can kill it thanks to plate demob resist and huge buffer) than a mech.

So if you like solo ganking, assaults would be the better pick (masker, demob, amp, gunz, lwf, resist plate, repper or second resist or evasive module). If you prefer bigger engagements a mech has the range and tank advantage, but a light or assault can still be viable given sufficient speed and skills and good gear.

We use assaults heavily in engagements and while we're bad and our stats are awful we like assaults for their ability to fit a variety of useful gear on inexpensive bots. Every time I take one out I find it can do something else neat and cool I'd have never known just by looking at the stats.

After the lwf change, the only thing assaults could use is a buff of ten or twenty points to masking so that they're more useful as sneaky gank bots. An actual covops bot would also be cool, but assaults should be slightly better at it.

Do remember that a well fit and piloted light can take you down in your assault, and that you will never outrun ewar tackle in an assault (although you can take them down before the gang shows with enough range and a lot of luck). Your best defense when solo is remaining unseen.

Mechs are the assault of the medium class, and a Kain can be very dangerous solo. Your list of viable targets will be higher, but you're more likely to die solo as most tackle (light and ewar) can catch you. We don't really use them, but in a gang theyre invaluable as a high range support unit that can pound stuff from a distance.

same situation here, I decided to stick to sub mech bots. as was the case in eve, I always try to max out all the ships in the same class so I have many different styles available.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

With the upcoming nuke of lwf and buff in bot base speed,

What upcoming change?

Afair less % less weight on the LWF and something about changing the base speeds or weights.

So the heavy mechs cant go as fast and the difference in the tier of the LWF wasn't so big.  Don't remember where I read about it ^^'

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

probably in IRC... where the discussion came up some time ago when Alf was online.

like anything DEVs talk about in IRC - nothing set in stone, just a bit of what could be future change. Further discussions or thoughts within the DEV-Team can change that in a matter of minutes wink

btw, LWF discussion has its own topic big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Oh no I actually seen it somewhere on the forums, something that the base lwf will have like 10% more speed and the t4 something like 17.5%.... or that was someone's idea? damn you Perpetuum and all your people with good balance ideas big_smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please