Topic: My kain

hey guys...

what sort of fit can i slap in my kain? and be good at farming?
i can farm with it now but my acc runs out so fast it makes me *** my pants, furiously.
i have 5 or 6 in most supporting skills. what can i expect to get out of my mech in next few days?
id just like some advice on what fittings you think i should run and what skills i need to increase in the short term.

not planning on pvping with him any time soon, just wanna farm some kernels for our crafter and make some good loot while doing so.

can anyone give me a good spot to farm also?

thanks all.

oh yeah btw, everyone should post more, the forums are not very busy. i enjoy reading about stuff.

*kisses for all that offer help*

Re: My kain

Pretty much anyplace you can find triand or helio growing is a great place to park your bot for farming.  Around the ICS terminal there's a lot of new players harvesting so the plants don't have a chance to grow before they're torn down, but you don't really have to leave Alpha 1 islands to find ample biological life to demolish.  I've never really heard of anyone using a Kain for it though.  It seems counter-intuitive, but I guess with enough medium harvesters you could get pretty competitive rate.  I don't know offhand what the cargo capacity is, but you'll probably be dumping into a can and picking up with a Seq instead of self-hauling so that's no worry.

That said, I recommend a combination of U-plates and that surface area reduction thing.  Toss in a rep and you're off to work, I suppose.  Honestly, does fit matter that much?  You're not really going to be wandering into dangerous turf since there's plants all over the place and I can't see how you'd be able to AFK for more than a few moments being a can harvester.

Maybe there's someone out there that can suggest a more survivable fit for Alpha 2, but unless your corp is insisting you go there (blow them off, seriously) there's no increased reward in harvesting for the higher risk of getting wiped out by an Observer while your proverbial fly is down.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

short term? get medium ACs, t4 small repair and t4 lwf + thermal hardener

that should fix most issues, unless your farming smaller stuff which would be a waste of ammo and time with medium ac

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You subbed on july 15th, while it's technicaly possible for a 2 week character to use a mech, your acutally going to be better at farming with an assault vs. assaults and lights.

Jumping right into mech, your going to spend the next month building up EP while struggling with dispersion and advanced weapon skills. You'll have your acc sucked dry by ewar you can barely hit, and spend way too long recovering accumulator after running your repper non stop with dual plates trying to tank.

It's confusing because the natural progression looks like Light-Assault-Mech-Hmech, but if you look at the EP required to drive each of them, you see that if bot were 'level's" you would be at the end-game bot in a month. Progression is about building up the skills to fit and operate the next higher bot effectively.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Pretty much anyplace you can find triand or helio growing is a great place to park your bot for farming.  Around the ICS terminal there's a lot of new players harvesting so the plants don't have a chance to grow before they're torn down, but you don't really have to leave Alpha 1 islands to find ample biological life to demolish.  I've never really heard of anyone using a Kain for it though.  It seems counter-intuitive, but I guess with enough medium harvesters you could get pretty competitive rate.  I don't know offhand what the cargo capacity is, but you'll probably be dumping into a can and picking up with a Seq instead of self-hauling so that's no worry.

That said, I recommend a combination of U-plates and that surface area reduction thing.  Toss in a rep and you're off to work, I suppose.  Honestly, does fit matter that much?  You're not really going to be wandering into dangerous turf since there's plants all over the place and I can't see how you'd be able to AFK for more than a few moments being a can harvester.

Maybe there's someone out there that can suggest a more survivable fit for Alpha 2, but unless your corp is insisting you go there (blow them off, seriously) there's no increased reward in harvesting for the higher risk of getting wiped out by an Observer while your proverbial fly is down.

I had a good laugh at this Johnny, thank you tongue

Reset each other yet?

The extra slots, cpu, reactor, and accumulator recharge so outweigh the reduced damage that I'm always surprised when someone suggests using an assault instead of a mech to new players. Assaults can farm better than mechs it's true, as long as your extensions are high enough to fit good modules of the right types and keep your accumulator high. By that time, you would be better off in a heavy mech.

I jumped in my kain as soon as I could. I've had a few blow up and gone back to the arbalest each time, and each time I found that it simply can't handle the same spawns as the kain.

Yes, you can tank better in a mech, so if by farm you mean drive out into the spawn and slowly kill npc's until your acc is empty from repping, then walk out to recharge. Then a mech is better.

Using kiting, which is more interactive, you can farm more per hour - but you do have to acutally use technique.

Stumbles wrote:

The extra slots, cpu, reactor, and accumulator recharge so outweigh the reduced damage that I'm always surprised when someone suggests using an assault instead of a mech to new players. Assaults can farm better than mechs it's true, as long as your extensions are high enough to fit good modules of the right types and keep your accumulator high. By that time, you would be better off in a heavy mech.

I jumped in my kain as soon as I could. I've had a few blow up and gone back to the arbalest each time, and each time I found that it simply can't handle the same spawns as the kain.

well, it takes a few extensionpoints to get enough punch into an arbalest or Bapho that makes it a nice farming machine. and most of those points will still help you later fitting your kain or mesmer. -> and the loss of the fully fit farming arbalest costs way less then the Mech

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I never have to walk away to recharge in the mech, that's actually the main reason it's better. I just stand there and tank them forever. It's a lot faster than kiting when you do it that way, since your next target is always locked and in range. I only kite when I'm farming mechs, since they use so much ewar if you let them in range.

10 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-30 01:33:16)

Doh tongue Time for a new alt!

Anyway, for Slugys: I would suggest you put a few in advanced robotics and improved armor repair, add an erp (look under engineering on the market) and some repair tunings. As a blue pilot it's not too difficult to reach a point where you can repair 2 damage for 1 ap on small repairers. With the correct erp you can then run as many repairers as you need to, permanently. Today I was running 3 to farm blue bots since they put out quite a bit of damage. I wouldn't suggest hitting blue bots though, go for green. Hardeners don't work very well in such a setup, since they actually cost ap to run, unlike the repairers*. They'll be useful again once you get into a mesmer or kain mk2, since once you have 3 repairers running, the hardener provides more benefit to your armor bar than another repairer would. As your extensions improve it is actually possible to reach a point where you can run medium repairers like this too, at least as blue. Not sure for the others, but it's doubtful. Fitting tool tells me that one day I'll be able to repair about 3-3.5k of any type of damage every second without touching my accumulator big_smile Oh, and don't use medium guns on small targets. Ignore the bot bonus.

If you prefer to use the assault, throw on 5 guns, a repairer, maybe a sensor amp or two, and any weapon tunings you can fit. Then just try to keep too many of them from locking you at once. You'll kill faster but spend more time running around, locking targets, repairing and recharging. It's probably more efficient since you'll save a bit on ammo costs. Although you lose some of the fun factor when people walk past and pause for a moment to watch you tanking a whole spawn.

With high enough fitting skills you can farm tank style in an assault too. You'll still lose some damage from fitting repairer tunings instead of weapon tunings (although if you needed sensor amps when kiting you're not losing anything here since you don't need them for tanking), but less than you lose in the mech. There's also less room for repairers, but it won't be a big deal if you're farming targets with weak damage against you.

*Hardeners can be useful if you're super lazy like me, as a sort of 'half repairer'. If the mobs aren't putting out enough damage to keep your accumulator high enough to permanently run a second or third repairer, but they're outdamaging the first one or two repairers, swapping that second or third repairer for a hardener may even it out so you don't have to bother turning that repper on and off according to your current needs. You can just leave the first repper (or two) and the hardener running permanently.

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

I had a good laugh at this Johnny, thank you tongue

We, the members of PIE who are NOT silly and have a stiff upper lip (Arga tongue) aim to please!  Maybe I finally have a reason to own a combat bot if only for the sake of pointlessly full of non-combat equipment.

"Hang on and let me dock my Kain and switch to my combat Larid to keel j00!"

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

I put med. miners on my baph to ninja mine with ...

ah, ERP fit Kain... well, everyone has access to ERPs, right?
the market is so full with them, and a corpless newbie can afford to buy one...

I did.

i have 1 of each type of erp so i can do that no problem.

thankyou very much for the tips, ill post more in a few hours and let you know my skills/fit

16 (edited by Cyber Moose 2011-07-30 20:04:18)

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Maybe there's someone out there that can suggest a more survivable fit for Alpha 2, but unless your corp is insisting you go there (blow them off, seriously)

You can blow us off slugys.

And get out of that silly mech, its to big for you. These pie guys know whats up.

id do more than blow you off.

anyway, i was only asking for some tips/places to farm. i fitted 2 reppers and 1 rep tuner, it works pretty well and with an ERP it will work even better.

plus i shoved a few thousand points into advance bots skill today... or whatever it is that upps your bonuses.

can someone give me a good or 'standard light fit for my kain please?

wanna know if im doing it correctly.

If you explode, you're doing it wrong!  big_smile

Also, if it doesn't feel like it's simmering with anger, you're doing it wrong.

I demob, damp and kite in pve, and that tends to leave me with tons of spare accumulator on my Baph that I use for not tanking. I think I still have a rep on my fit, but I use it practically never.

Why bother tanking when you can outrun the AI with a speed of like 55 (although I prefer to be at 75-80)?

If the AI locks, damp it and it unlocks. If it tries to get back to base when it's all beat up, charge in and demob it so it can't escape. Considering swapping to an l-demob fit, but not sure how effective it would be.

Works in a similar manner to pvp, is way more fun and tends to produce better results to boot. When I was running a repper focused assault I had a lot of trouble taking down a t4L/t3A spawn in my assault solo. I'd get beat up too fast to get more than a few bots at a time before I needed a break. Now I can slay my way through them at a constant rate, upping my income significantly despite not having weapon tunings fit and only wearing a single resist plate (universal, because I CBA to fit specifics).

Kain can probably fit in a similar manner, and it'll be more effective all things considered than a build where you sit still and take it.

slugys wrote:

oh yeah btw, everyone should post more, the forums are not very busy. i enjoy reading about stuff.

Yea, people dont seem to post much.  I cant think of much to post that wouldnt get trolled or be seen as some kind of manipulation.

Probably needs more new players to post and ask questions etc, I like reading about new players experiences.

Sometimes the mmorpg forums on perpetuum are busier than these forums lol

But you cant make people post if they dont want to D:

I'll try to post more ... I've been slacking sad