Topic: Missiles, shortest range and lowest damage?

Last time I checked, which was in beta btw, laser = longest range, missiles = 2nd longest, EM guns = 3rd longest.

Since the recent 10% range nerf for missiles, this is no longer the case.  T4 Lasers achieve a much longer range than T4 missiles, especially when you factor in falloff. T4 EM guns are just a tad shorter in optimal range, but widely outrange missiles through falloff.

I'm only saying this because I remember the devs stating this is how they wanted it to be, well apparently you screwed something up and made missiles the short range choice.

2 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 13:37:00)

Re: Missiles, shortest range and lowest damage?

Something I forgot to mention, blue mechs are the fastest in the game, and their weapons the highest damage. This was intended to compensate for them having the lowest range.

Now missiles are the lowest range, the lowest damage, and are among the slowest. At least they don't have to use much AP to fire weapons. Oh wait, that's compensated for by giving missile mechs the lowest accumulator size and poor dps.

Perhaps it's time to take away blues speed advantage since they obviously don't have range issues anymore. No range issue = no need for the extra speed to close the gap.

Ap bonus and 6 weapon slots makes tyranos good machine for defence and support operations.
But gropho with his useless shield bonus is apparently broken.

4 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 13:45:57)

Alexadar wrote:

Ap bonus and 6 weapon slots makes tyranos good machine for defence and support operations.

Tyrannos may have a AP recharge bonus, but let's not forget, the tyrannos only has a 2000 ap max accumulator size. The artemis for example, has 3000 ap, that's 50% higher and equates to a 50% faster recharge rate. A highly trained tyrannos does get a faster AP recharge in the end, but only because of the tyrannos ap recharge bonus. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, because AP is important.

The shield bonus on gropho is ridiculous, I agree. They should do away with shield bonus on all combat bots because they're forcing you to either use a shield, or have a wasted bonus. GG.

Alexadar wrote:

I think Im playing different game than you Alexadar, yesterday I check Tyrannos had 4 missile slots.
If you dont know how to use a shield on a gropho it doesnt mean that gropho is broken smile

anyway from what I remember missiles supposed to be high alpha but low rof => medium dps

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

Pretty sure missiles are supposed to be low dps low alpha short range and affected by LOS. I heard that somewhere.

Also, green needs an accum nerf.

Dan wrote:
Alexadar wrote:

I think Im playing different game than you Alexadar, yesterday I check Tyrannos had 4 missile slots.
If you dont know how to use a shield on a gropho it doesnt mean that gropho is broken smile

anyway from what I remember missiles supposed to be high alpha but low rof => medium dps

It's not about not knowing how to use a shield on a gropho, it's about not WANTING to use a shield on a gropho. Forcing racial robots to use their own weapons? Fair enough, makes sense, but forcing certain ones to use a shield is wrong and i'm shocked that it made it out of beta and this far into release.

Mammoth wrote:

Pretty sure missiles are supposed to be low dps low alpha short range and affected by LOS. I heard that somewhere.

Trolling is against the forum rules. Could a moderator please remove mammoths consecutive trolling posts?

Dan wrote:
Alexadar wrote:

6 weapon slots: 4 missile, and 2 turret slots nub.

Give me here effective pvp shield build, if you so smart

From what I remember, missiles had a much longer range than medium EM guns.
(I'm a blue pilot)

If I remember correctly, I could barely attain 500m with 3 range extenders, while missiles were flying at 800m.

Could you give us some precise numbers plz? I can't start the client from this crappy laptop.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

12 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-28 14:48:20)

Medium T4 EM range, with I think lvl 8 long range shooting skill, is 363m - falloff about 100m.
Missiles (Med T4) with I again think lvl 6-8 long range skills is 446m. I also can't access my client atm.

Yeah the Kain will hit the Tyrr at 463 meters,  but it will be for 0.1% of full damage. big_smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

13 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 15:06:46)

Gaulois wrote:

(I'm a blue pilot)

If I remember correctly, I could barely attain 500m with 3 range extenders, while missiles were flying at 800m.

Could you give us some precise numbers plz? I can't start the client from this crappy laptop.

T4 medium launchers, chemical ballistic missiles, with 3 T4 range extenders, and level 10 propellant mixing = 641m max missile range.

And don't talk to me about the seismic ranged medium missiles, you can't even buy those missiles for 5k nic each. Anyone using them in pvp will have a limited supply and is blowing a lot of money. I've not been doing any of these comparisons using mission ammo anyway, if you want to factor in mission ammo, then don't forget, all factions get ranged mission ammo and you too could get range above 700 if you used it.

14 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-28 15:14:37)

I am pretty sure your math is wrong. Could we get someone with a client and those bots online? With my skills I should get my range to more than 700m with 3 RE (I am pretty sure my prop mixing is at 8). Might be off because I remember my short range fit at 226m and the compact missiles range nerf is 50% right?
math is 226*(1.18^3)*2

With my skills the Kain can get to 593 meters with 3Re but won't have a sensor amp tongue

With propelant at 10, 2 range extender T1, T4 missile launcher, and Heat IX missiles, the optimal range it's 595m.

If that could help you wink

Gaulois wrote:

(I'm a blue pilot)

Here are the base ranges for T4 medium weapons. For T4 medium launchers I will calculate the range of long range chemical missiles when fitted into a T4 medium launcher.

Medium T4 long range lasers = 350m + 100 falloff
Medium T4 long range EM guns = 310m + 60 falloff
Medium T4 launchers with long range missiles = 324m + 0 falloff

Lasers are quite clearly the range kings.

EM guns have overall more range than missiles, when you factor in skills that the missile bots do not get use from, such as the skill that boosts your falloff, and not to mention blue mechs falloff robot bonus, EM guns then begin to have significantly more range than missiles. A good skilled blue mech pilot will easily get their falloff to 100+m

So missiles have the shortest range now, and yet blue mechs retain being the fastest mechs which was only given to them in the first place to help them make up for their short range. Now that they have not only better range but also more speed than missile mechs, there's an imbalance.

17 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 15:26:26)

Norrdec wrote:

I am pretty sure your math is wrong. Could we get someone with a client and those bots online? With my skills I should get my range to more than 700m with 3 RE (I am pretty sure my prop mixing is at 8). Might be off because I remember my short range fit at 226m and the compact missiles range nerf is 50% right?
math is 226*(1.18^3)*2

With my skills the Kain can get to 593 meters with 3Re but won't have a sensor amp tongue

I'm logged in and have all T4 weapons brought up, and if my math is wrong, then the game is wrong, since I pulled these stats directly from my own fitted robot.

Missiles used to get more than 700m range with this set up, but they recently nerfed medium missile range 10%. It was totally uncalled for and has created this imbalance.

18 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-28 15:31:37)

Guignolet, whats the range without the Heat-X?

Also is the compact missile nerf is 50%? If it isn't then MY math is wrong because compacts gave me 223m range.
Do you have missiles loaded into the launchers Purgatory?

Well give me an hour and I will come back home and post the screenshots.

Last edit- missiles were doing more that 800m.

Here's what a blue mech pilot gets with level 10 sharpshooting, level 9 robotics, level 8 improved falloff.

Using 5.5-Gripler medium EM gun = 613m range + 108m falloff.

And here's the math for that:

310m * 1.30 * 1.15 * 1.15 * 1.15 = 613m optimal range
60m falloff * 1.45 * 1.24 = 108m falloff

20 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 15:34:39)

Norrdec wrote:

Guignolet, whats the range without the Heat-X?

Also is the compact missile nerf is 50%? If it isn't then MY math is wrong because compacts gave me 223m range.
Do you have missiles loaded into the launchers Purgatory?

Well give me an hour and I will come back home and post the screenshots.

Last edit- missiles were doing more that 800m.

Of course I do, chemical ballistic missiles range is 270m.

Multiply the 270 by 1.20 to get the base range when fitted in a T4 medium missile launcher

Then multiply *1.30, *1.15, *1.15, *1.15 to get 640.592 metres. The 1.30 is for level 10 propellant mixing, the 3 lots of *1.15 are for 3 T4 range extenders.

21 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-28 15:36:31)

Isn't the t4 bonus 40%?

And aren't T4 RE 18% range increase?

22 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 15:40:17)

Norrdec wrote:

Isn't the t4 bonus 40%?

20% for T4 launcher.

15% T4 range extender.

Yes, you are right with the missiles range. As the optimal for EM and range for missiles is similar (missiles a bit bigger), we are down to the falloff. The question is how to we properly test where it's kill range for falloff and where do we just poke someone smile

24 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-28 17:19:24)

Purgatory wrote:

Trolling is against the forum rules. Could a moderator please remove mammoths consecutive trolling posts?

Sorry, I'm just repeating what you and Dan said. 'It should be this way, I remember hearing that once'. You called it trolling, not me smile

With the implication of course being 'situations never change, knowledge never grows'.

Your memory may be correct, and at that moment in time, they did want missiles to be the midrange choice, but right now, they've decided balance is better served by having missiles as the short range choice. Why else would they shorten the range?

Only they're not the short range choice, because they can shoot 750m without hitting a hump in the ground, but that's beside the point. I was simply highlighting the speciousness of the entire argument.

25 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-28 17:23:52)

Mammoth wrote:
Purgatory wrote:

Sorry, I'm just repeating what you and Dan said. 'It should be this way, I remember hearing that once'. You called it trolling, not me smile

With the implication of course being 'situations never change, knowledge never grows'.

Your memory may be correct, and at that moment in time, they did want missiles to be the midrange choice, but right now, they've decided balance is better served by having missiles as the short range choice. Why else would they shorten the range?

Only they're not the short range choice, because they can shoot 750m without hitting a hump in the ground, but that's beside the point. I was simply highlighting the speciousness of the entire argument.

Why else? How about because one guy does balancing and people are prone to make mistakes?

They need to nerf blue mechs being faster than all the others, speed and range are the two important factors in this game. Blue mechs had the best speed to make up for less range. They no longer need to be faster.