Topic: Procedurally Generated Quests

For the better part of 24 years I have been playing computer games and table top RPG's.  I have seen allot of stuff and have felt there was allot lacking when comparing the two.  But what I miss most and only encounter so often is the idea of the Branching Quest.  Now what does that have to do with the topic?

Simply put I am suggesting the creation of procedural system that will generate branching quests.  A system that would draw upon defined sets of quest modules, put them together and hand them out as needed.  This would allow variety, choices, and consequences, and in a world that is persistent, there is a significant lack of consequences.

The Branching Quest

Any one that has played a good RPG knows what a branching quest.  So to just explain it to those that may not know here you go.  A branching quest, is a single quest line based on choices.  As choices are made the quest progresses in a manner consistent with the choice.

The benefit of a branching quest is that the quest can not only have curves and choices that can have lasting effects on the player and the world.  But that the player can typically take one of many branches as they progress and the quest will be different each time unless they take the exact path every time.

Making a branching quest is not all that hard, in fact there have been books with branching storyline for a while.  What may be hard is to make a system can can generate quests procedurally.  And to do it in a way that is enjoyable and has enough variation that it will retain a level of enjoyment for those taking part in them.

Procedurally Generating a Quest

The goal of this is to make quests that are varied with out having to make each and every one by hand.  To do this the quests would be divided into blocks and scrips that can be pasted together.  Once there are blocks and the code, the quest will need to have a story arc length.

The Arch Length should vary between two steps for a short quest to up to six or more sections for longer quests.  Each section of the quest can have a small reward or the player may need to finish the entire quest to get their incentive.  Needless to say, longer and more difficult quests will have a greater potential reward.

Finally there will be the quest branches.  At each step the player should have a choice of two to five paths they can take.  This would allow a significant amount of variety and since the value can change from quest to quest and branch to branch this would add allot of variety.

Limiting the Load

Branching quests have the potential to be very large.  A six link quest with five options at each branch would have 5^6 options or 15,625 potential choices that the server would need to generate.  To mitigate this, the server really only has to track the next steps in the quest since any path not taken is null and void.  This a six step quest boils down to only thirty choices, and this shrinks as choices are made.

To do this, the quests would not be generated at the time it has been taken.  Instead it would be generated at each step with variables for the choices determining the next step.  And while this is far more intensive then a single step static quest, the journey could be far more intertaining then just “go there and kill that”.

Lasting Effects!!!

One of the things that always bothered me in any MMO that said it was “persistent” was the application of that persistent nature.  In most cases quests have no real effect on the world, and the only persistent elements are death and any thing in the field made by a player.  This is something that could be changes with a quest system.

The idea is simple that at the end of the quest line or even during there are effects that can be tied to and placed onto the player.  If say you reach a choice and you take the most negative, a debuff for some kind of random event could be applied...like assassin robots spawning on top of you at random time intervals.

In the same note, positive effect could also be applied like having NPC followers for a time.  When they die, they are gone.  But till then they will blast what you blast or what blasts you.  Now these are just ideas and really the possibilities are only limited to what can be dreamed up.  But there is more available then just ammo and gear rewards.

Choices can also negatively impact a players relations with a specific faction.  Or playing your cards right might make you friends where you were once ostracized.  But the final goal is to make a living breathing system where the players choices, be they good, neutral, or nasty, will have an impact on the game in some meaningful and tangible way.

Adding Actors to the Stage

Finally a quest structure of this sort would also need additional actors.  Currently there are three kinds of actors in Perpetuum; Players, Props, and Hostile NPC's.  Quests and longer quest line would facilitate a need for a fourth kind, Friendly NPC's.

These friendly faction NPC's offer a chance to make the world live a little.  Especially since there is something of a war going on.  NPC's could be Indurtrial's that came under attack and need their cargo taken to destination.  They could be a platton of combat robots under heavy attack and the player chooses how to help.  Or may be a caravan of miners that need help to hold their position, or even retreat from the field.

What ever the plot possibilities, Friendly NPC's add to the quest potencial.  And the nice thing is that they not always be there.  Really they only need to be there when a player gets with in scan range to see them.  So their activities need not eat uf island space or resources for longer then necessary.

Conclusion

In any case I hope that I have created a good idea for consideration.  I understand all to well that this is either perceived to be, or is a PvP game at it's heart.  But while I accept that I will be blow the scrap in the process of playing the game, I also would like to have time to my self to enjoy the game world with out the risk of being ganked.  As such there is room for both active PvP and an enjoyable and immersive PvE experience.

I hope you all enjoyed the suggestion and that you will comment constructively.  Please no flaming about how “carebearz sukz” or some other stupidity.  We all pay our money and should have an opportunity to enjoy the game world as we desire in the ways we desire.

Re: Procedurally Generated Quests

One thing that immediately strikes me is that branching quests shouldn't be repeatable. Using WoW as a reference, only daily quests are repeatable, storyline and character progress quests are 1 time. The trouble here is that you need alot of 1 time quests, even if they are dynamically generated.

If they are repeatable, then there's fundamentally no difference from static quests, since you can derive the same outcome by making the same choices. By this I mean, if I want +faction, I can do the quest the same way to acheive that; which is the same as just running a single task repeatedly. But requiring alot more coding.

AC is working on more dynamic missions, that will give different rewards for how fast they are completed. This could be expanded to provide different rewards for completing the mission in different ways, which is somewhat of the same as branching, but with less programming.

Thanks for an interesting read smile

3 (edited by SyberSmoke 2011-07-27 21:59:37)

I agree that Story quests should not be repeated since once your finished with that section of the plot line, it would be silly to redo it in most cases.  This would more be for repeatable quests that are less predictable then most go here and do this and that.

As one of my ideas was for say kill quests that would involves actually operating with in the war between the Syndicate and the other Bot factions.  So say in terms of a combat mission you receive a kill order.  In the process of doing that kill order, you get an emergency beacon from a team of allied bots in the area of the kill order.  You can now just persue the kills or help the bots.  Helping the bots, you get options to kill enemis fulfilling the order, or to act further by say killing their leader, or to KO the Support Beacon that they are using to mark their beam in point.

This then can keep branching stacking additional bonuses, but choices can also have negative effects.  Like say you kill the enemy leader.  May be that faction then places a 1 hour debuff on your Robot called Marked for Death.  Where enemy robots have a chance to spawn in around you in an attempt to kill you.

Just something better then the golden four quests of:
1. Go there and kill that.
2. Go there and Collect that.
3. Go there to collect that by killing this.
4. Go there and deliver this.

MMO's can do so much better...

The keyword should be not  "Procedural generated quests", its will be a bit boring like a roulette after few months.
Keyword should be "Global quest system" : EACH task should CHANGE global game state.

Example: if players doing alot of mining missions, syndicate will build new force, what agents should reinforce to fight with nians. When a lot of syndicate mechs will down, mining missions should be more profitable. This simple example should show how exiting should be global task system. This missions can be with a procedure-generated random newton lagrandge koshee whatewer - based, to make players believe that THIS mission created by the server for HIM for THIS particular server state.

Sandbox should be as much player-driven as possible

Heck yes, that would of course be the nirvana of missioning, where the Nian's actually have an AI that monitors the agents actions on their plant and adjusts strategies and npc allocations in responce to large scale movements.

And Syndicate then modifies missions to counter that the Nian change.

What would be cool is if it was done without dev interaction, but creating any kind of smart system is much more time consuming than generating up a series of missions.

Donno about others, im ready to wait or contribute for this system. When I first time saw mmo quests, I got that stupid quest grinding and stupid npc grinding will be the past of mmo after few tens years. Procedural generated sandboxes will replase this old static principles of mmo, im sure. And those teams will win a jackpot, who will make it first.

I do tend to agree that "Proceduraly Generated" is rather dull.  But the term is accurate since your generating a quest or what ever via a defined procedure of steps and random factors.  So at least in this way the Developers know the goal of the idea instead of just calling it something else that may not have the proper terminology.

Alexadar: I agree with you very much.  There are just so many MMO's that stick to the story and forget about trying to make a living world.  One with ebb and flow that the players will account for.  Would it be a good time to attack...a good time to defend.  Will hitting the Nians mining operations help or hinder efforts.  Some just that little more then "Oh hey, there are some red blips in that field...lets kill them".

I like PvP...do not get me wrong.  But some times I do not want the hassle of it and just wana chill.  big_smile