Topic: Climbing Gear

I was wondering if maybe we could get some kind of equipment that would allow a robot to climb steeper hills. Some Ideas include a short range jump jet. Spikes on the bottom of feet/treads.

I think this would be helpful because it would provide a new dimension to pvp. People would be able to climb instead of running. It would also allow for a group to better use terrain. We have so much terrain differences but a lot of it doesnt get used. I would like to see the ability to use it. I could see a problem with people using lwf and these because it would just be another way to not get caught. So maybe instead only allow one or the other.

Re: Climbing Gear

As of now light bots have an advantage over heavies due to terrain climbing abilities. I think this needs to stay the same.

I'd second this sort of thing only if the tools came with extreme drawbacks, like climbing tackle being very heavy (gimping the open space speed) or jump jets significantly reducing accumulator stats. This helps ensure the tools are only useful for specific tasks, and don't become "must fit" equipment.

Thats kind of what I was thinking to. And making it so that light bots would still have better climbs then heavy mechs.

5 (edited by SyberSmoke 2011-07-27 22:13:55)

Jump jets would work, but would require allot of balancing in terms of stability. Placed in the leg slots of a Robot, using them would drain Accumulator to be able to jump distances.  To prevent Acc stable Jumping....Jump Jets could stop the Acc refill process when in use.  So use it to much and oops.  Oh and do not forget about fall damage...hehe...also another oops.

Maybe.

One thing terraforming is likely to introduce is creating pvp choke points by making impassable terrain to mechs or heavies; which jj's would counter.

An issue is if it's too easy to counter, then no one will bother to terraform - other then of course to make 1000 m phallic symbols.

7 (edited by SyberSmoke 2011-07-28 02:31:35)

In most cases JJ's would not be good for any really large bot type.  The mass of the bot would just take to much energy to get off the ground.  Lights and Assaults would work best with Mechs running third.  That way you can have the attacking heavy mechs and tougher as a distraction force while lighter robots can encircle the enemy.

With additional thought, Personally I would not allow the players to create walls of soil, at least not extremely high ones.  I would allow a reasonable height and then allow the players to build walls on top of them to add height.  But also make those destructible so that an attack force can get up to them and blow a hole in a perimeter defense.

But that is how I think.