1 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-18 16:47:07)

Topic: Does anyone bother to farm mech sized kernals since the kernal nerf?

I've been offering a lot of nic for kernals, almost half a mill per heavy mech kernal (T5) and 200k for T4 mech kernals. Weeks go by, nobody sells any.

So i've been thinking about going to farm the kernals myself, but then a daunting fact hit me - Kernal drop rate got nerfed to 50% a few months back. Even if the kernal drop rate was still 1 kernal per mob, I would still struggle to find motivation to go and farm mech size kernals. With the 50% drop rate on kernals, I think i'll pass.

Is everyone just relying on observer kernals these days or what?

2 (edited by Predator Nova 2011-07-18 16:47:29)

Re: Does anyone bother to farm mech sized kernals since the kernal nerf?

No, we farm em still here and there.

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Those are only available on Beta, and the corps farming need them internally. They will never be worth selling, as the past has shown that it's never a good idea to have only 1 prototyper. Any alpha corp going over to ninja-farm, is only going to farm 5th star's for internal use too, again it's not worth selling them at any price, since the return on having a character that can make T4 medium weapons (among other Med. items) is worth more then the short term NIC gain.

Basically, if you want them you have to farm them yourself, or offer some stuipd large amount of NIC per kernel.

The drop rate isn't really the problem, it's just not in any bets corp's interest to sell kernels; and there are very few corp members that can solo the 5 star groups to sell them on the side, not to mention it being THE mortal sin.

"Thou shall not sell they kernels."

Arga wrote:

Those are only available on Beta, and the corps farming need them internally. They will never be worth selling, as the past has shown that it's never a good idea to have only 1 prototyper. Any alpha corp going over to ninja-farm, is only going to farm 5th star's for internal use too, again it's not worth selling them at any price, since the return on having a character that can make T4 medium weapons (among other Med. items) is worth more then the short term NIC gain.

Basically, if you want them you have to farm them yourself, or offer some stuipd large amount of NIC per kernel.

The drop rate isn't really the problem, it's just not in any bets corp's interest to sell kernels; and there are very few corp members that can solo the 5 star groups to sell them on the side, not to mention it being THE mortal sin.

"Thou shall not sell they kernels."

It's like this - I used to have no problem buying T5 mech and heavy mech kernals. I bought thousands. Then they nerfed the drop rate to 50%, and i've not been sold any since.

Very worth farming in a group. More profitable then solo farming. There just aren't enough small solo spawns. Taking 3 people to a high end mech spawns and making 20 million an hour isn't bad.

I am sure there are people out there that can do much much better.

Another source for T4/5 Mech/Heavy Mech kernels is artifact scanning. Of course they are extremely rare.

There have been a lot of other Meta-game related incidents since the kernel nerf too. I'd suspect that a large number of those 1000's of kernels came from a corp(s) that already had the tech tree completed, but don't anymore.

Wait a few more weeks/months and you'll probably start seeing more coming to market. Although there's a lot more competition for those kernels now too.

I'd suggest not relying on the market, try setting up a deal with a Beta corp directly, as there are at least 3 large corps coming up the ladder that are going to have really deep pockets and a large appetite for kernels.

Arga wrote:

There have been a lot of other Meta-game related incidents since the kernel nerf too. I'd suspect that a large number of those 1000's of kernels came from a corp(s) that already had the tech tree completed, but don't anymore.

Wait a few more weeks/months and you'll probably start seeing more coming to market. Although there's a lot more competition for those kernels now too.

I'd suggest not relying on the market, try setting up a deal with a Beta corp directly, as there are at least 3 large corps coming up the ladder that are going to have really deep pockets and a large appetite for kernels.

I very much doubt that somehow, since this was almost half a year ago, and there was nobody with T4 medium missile launchers in game at that time, I was the first to complete that research.

Imho the 50% drop was the worst change in Perp since launch.
Could be good in Alphas only, or drop only to +/- 75%,
K´s are pretty much out of market now and selling them beacame a sin roll .

have over 5k of various mech kernels in our prototypers storage, no point in selling them when we can save them up for future technology. Besides, we're making money by the bucketload anyway. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

11 (edited by Snowman 2011-07-19 10:24:26)

Problem is money is worthless at the moment, nobody wants or needs your NIC. (nothing personal)

Any corp worth their salt produces the gear they need.  Not because its cheaper.. but just because there is nothing on the market to buy.

Try offering to trade your kernals for modules instead.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy.:rolleyes:

Oh NIC does have a significant worth as a liquid asset now that there are more people playing. Theres just no point in selling kernels which are a future investment with a high-return possibility.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Nic aint worthless, ,. it worthless to stack 600M.
T4 items i produce for market ie. are still very expensive as big cops dont put these items on public market, why should i keep crafting them if have all nic i wish.
More researchers are needed, let market overflow with more tiered items, price drop and more use of them as intended. Mayb slow down the research for medium items, but this kernel drop killed the research for all non player-megacorps, and i would dare to say the whoole market with the internal corp orders.

A sequer train of 4 running everyday until the triangle stops could potentially earn over 4 billion NIC.

ok, so lets say that guy isnt doing it all the time, so half it.. 2 billion.  but then times that by the amount of people you see running it.

That 600m  is like a the quantity of water in a pint compared to the quantity of water in a swimming pool.

ok.. I grant you that its not 'worthless'  and it has potential future value.

But you have to put it into perspective, at this point in time, its value is very little.  The money those kernals provide is nothing next to the value of the knowledge they could provide.

So how about they change it to that 75% or 100% like it was before? You are in the hands of probability 2 times now, first for the kernel to drop then for it to give any research.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Anyone that can run the triangle 12 hours a day for over a month deserves their 2 billion NIC - not sure how they can afford 4 accounts without having a job though; maybe his wife... oh wait, she left him after about day 14.  big_smile

Realistically - you might be able to average 4 hours a day, which is like 500M NIC in a month. But even that's not realistic since your bound to crash and have to reload about 304,000 times in a month.

This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't debates. I farm my own kernals, solo. If I kept doing that through out my Perpetuum career, it would make me one helluva pile of NIC. That of course will drive up inflation though if I were a standard. I can in fact make more NIC farming Kernals than I do at the mythical triangle because the Kernals make up such a low percentage of what I am getting.

If they raise kernal drop to 1:1 I make less NIC because I stop farming Kernals earlier and turn to mining to begin Industry. It is worth pointing out though, I have virtualy no T2 and up prototypes in my sheet yet, even though I have farmed around 1000 kernals, 3 levels of light robot kernals, Assaults and a few Mech.

As a noob under a month old, the only thing right now I do in game that I look forward to is Kernal farming. I don't know how long that will last but I would rather be flooding the markets with modules TBH.

18 (edited by Pak 2011-07-19 22:07:32)

Snowman wrote:

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy. roll

THIS

edit: sig updated

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Sisohiv wrote:

I farm my own kernals, solo. If I kept doing that through out my Perpetuum career, it would make me one helluva pile of NIC. That of course will drive up inflation though if I were a standard.

Whut?
Farming kernels is a deflactionary action, not an inflactionary one. At least if all you loot are the kernels, you are not doing an assignment and you do not use so much ammo/lose so many robots that the cost of the ammo and robots you lose becomes more than the value of the kernels.

Farming NPCs in general is both inflactionary and deflactionary (or eventually neutral) depending on what is being looted and the current economy values. Firing ammo, losing robots and fittings and selling plasma (and any mission payout) are inflactionary, looting kernels/ammo/modules and repairing damages are deflactionary.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

I wouldn't worry about running out of kernel's, even if they reverted it to 1:1... it's not balanced to be done solo, it can be done but it won't be easy or quick. The research tree, and rightly so, is balanced around a large corporation all working towards completing it as a group.

I 'c'.