Topic: Server restarts, updates, UI and YOU

1) You do not restart in the middle of the day, unless
   a) it fixes something that might potentially break the game - eg critical update - or
   b) it has been announced at least 24 hours in advance

Why? Because at the moment it is impossible to really plan ahead with the server admin having the tendency to announce DT 35!! freaking minutes in advance.
Why? Because if you cannot plan at least a day ahead and do the patches in batches, then you probably picked the wrong profession and should hire someone who can.

2) You do not use message boxes like the way you do right now.
   a) It is broken and if one is open, another one will not be opened, leaving you with just one notification that might be just as misleading to someone who comes back from being AFK as it is helpful to someone who is at the PC when it happens.
   b) In addition to (A) relative time is extremely useless compared to giving an absolute one, like restart at 13:00GMT.
   c) Constantly poppint up popups is annoying and not helpful at all. The person who was not at his PC will not get these because of bug (a) anyway, and those who saw the first one will just get pissed by the additional distraction.
   d) Message boxes are a sloppy and lazy design choice. They are an important tool for notification, but quickly lose their significance, when you abuse them for 'hi mom' like messages. You use message boxes for way too many things.
   e) If you insist on having a countdown, then effin code one.. its not that hard, especially since you already have the pointless yellow text in the center of the screen feature, move that text to some corner, give it a more noticeable color (like red) and have it count down.
   f) and for effs sake, stop posting the 'hi mom' style 'personal' messages. Especially in popups. This isnt some 15y/o kiddo's CS server. Whoever thinks its a nice touch, hes wrong. Those popups are annoying enough when they convey something at least semi-important. The last thing i want is pleasantries from developers.

3) What is with logging back in 10 minutes before a DT? Why not? What if it is important to me that i can log in to a diff character of mine, or get dropped while going home? I think you should forget about that restriction ASAP. I can see how with the current notification mechanism, newly logged in players might not be aware of the fact that a restart is imminent (even though you tent to send a popup about that every minute or so for the last five minutes, so only a blind person can miss it), but that only means that your notification mechanisms are fauly by design and that you should try to improve those.

Last, but not least, here is a fine example of how things roll atm:
[14:04:14] <Peach> oh yea.. server down in 7 minutes
[14:04:23] <Peach> could we get another warning at 6.40 as well please?
[14:04:32] <Peach> then one every 5 seconds preferably, so we do not forget about it
(clear sarcasm there, yet, lo and behold a warning about server going down in 6:40 a few seconds after my line in that chat. Suffice to say, they werent even accurate, as more than 20 seconds have passed, but hey.. who cares about time.. it is for losers)

Some might say, they were funny and it is good to have such a direct bunch of devs. I would even say they are right in a sense. It is better to have devs that listen and can be talked to, than devs that only see you as the database records you are.

HOWEVER, and this is important. There is a fine line between being cool, being funny and being annoying. perp devs are borderlining between funny and annoying in my eyes right now and quite frankly, none of those two are all that good of an opinion when you think about it. If i wanna see clowns, i go to a circus. I do not need to play an MMO for that. When i play an MMO, i wanna see competent, caring and responsible developers, that do not abuse even such trivial systems as in-game message boxes for personal or community entertainment.

Re: Server restarts, updates, UI and YOU

Lighten up before your arteries harden, guy.

Wow you must be an axe member. Perp devs are awesome guys and they do what they can to solve issues. if you have a crisis over a restart msg one and let them know whats going on. If you need to rant about something as insignificant as a 15 minute downtime with warning then maybe mmos are not for you...

The middle of the day?

How egocentric.  The world does not revolve around your schedule, dude.

hot post is bad !

keep cool, even if some points are right

I take the blame.
signed: A humanoid.

Vesin wrote:

Wow you must be an axe member....

You have something about the BattleAxe members? hmm From what I see they are all pretty decent bunch. You must have had someone in a bad morning mood. Don't create stereotypes and rumors on forums about the good corporation.

Peach wrote:

There is a fine line between being cool, being funny and being annoying

There is a fine line between smart critisizm and being a total arse.

Posting in an EPIC thread:P

10 (edited by Hug 2010-12-02 16:15:47)

what mmo players can all whine about sometimes never stops to suprise me tongue

do you really think they restart just for fun ... there surely was a reason for it ... oh wait you had like 15 min that were taken out of your plan for life by the super evil devs we have here...maybe we should open an account for donations so you get somewhat back for this insane loss of planned lifetime.

i'll take our perp. devs over most i had the pleasure to be subbed too../hug devs! keep it up

*edit* & this:

Blossom wrote:

I might share some of your opinions, but not the manner they were presented.

1) You confuse people by posting like you are disciplining an employee sitting in your office instead of forming your posts like a complaint.
  a) actually, it's more QQ than complaint
  b) and yes there's a difference.
  c) we pay to play this game, so we get to make suggestions and requests. That doesn't mean we are their boss.

By the way, this belongs in Features and Requests.

And take a half hour and calm down before posting. It really helps.

The Devs are gods, OP you need to take some time out, a fuss about nothing.

DEV Crm wrote:

I take the blame.
signed: A humanoid.

haha trolled by crm

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Its time to calm down OP and to figure out if writing that giant wall of text was worth it for something so trivial as a GAME. I am not going to say you need therapy but i do think you need to get outside more.

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."

Blossom wrote:
Peach wrote:

There is a fine line between being cool, being funny and being annoying

and Blossom why arn't you in the ugliest avatar contest? you damn right creepy.

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."

to bring one of the favourite messages in here:

unregular events makes macroing harder!

35minutes is allot of time. The AFK timer is 15minutes AFAIK. So if you are deployed and not beeing removed before the server goes down, youre probably did something that prevents it.

if your in a terminal, there should be no problem with that short notice anyway.

The login-lock is in there to prevent someone to log in, and then complain that he didnt get the announcement and running right into a npc spawn.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

Chief Ubenor wrote:

. Don't create stereotypes and rumors on forums about the good corporation.

I like the subtlety of you putting in "the good corporation" and not just "a good corporation".

Well played.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki