Topic: Tagging System

I think this tagging system needs to be looked at. Either completely change it or at least increase the tagging duration. One question I had in mind is why not use the dps tagging system? The person who does the most damage gets the kill.

Any inputs from the devs would nice. smile
Same from the community but dont derail the topic .

Re: Tagging System

That might fly in beta islands, but in alphas that will just lead to the ability for higher skill players to grief others by taking all the kills though dps.

Fire Tempest wrote:

That might fly in beta islands, but in alphas that will just lead to the ability for higher skill players to grief others by taking all the kills though dps.

Ah, never thought of that. Maybe because I really dont the mind of a griefer (yet) lol. But this does makes it more tricky to solve then. tongue I can see why the devs probably added this system in though I will still suggest it to be tweaked.

Anyway thnz for the input! smile

Why do you want the duration lengthened?  The shorter length keeps you from tagging multiple targets effectively without killing them or waiting for others to kill them for you, but still gives you time to reload/rep/etc without losing your tag on the target.

->You just lost The Game<-

What Neoxx said, if anything, the length should be shortened to further prevent multitag griefing. But you didn't really tell us your reasons as to why it should be changed, only that it should be. Hard to argue there smile

6 (edited by xXPhantomFenix 2011-07-05 04:59:26)

Actually shorten tag time would work too, just never thought of that hmm

Ahh yes, the reason of why I posted this. Maybe I should have included it at the start but then, there are always ppl wanting to use it to troll the post.

It was just me soloin a Mech Observer and somehow lost tag with 1/4 left on the npc. Then some Kain came out of nowhere and tagged it lol. It was probably due to a lag spike that we usually have on the server atm but it got me thinking about the tagging system for a sec. Sucks for me to lose the kill but I can live with it.

These responses are good enough to satisfy me for now. Unless anyone wants to continue such discussion with this go ahead, but I wont be hanging around this thread now tongue

Cheers

-PFenix

7 (edited by Raavi Arda 2011-07-05 11:40:58)

Tagging system in it's current state heavily favors griefers and high-EP players while making it hard for new players to get pretty much anything.
Why? Because:
1. Low-EP player is farming a T1L spawn slowly, trying to make some NIC. He's in a basic light bot with 1 head slot and has a damage module in it (or even sensor booster)
2. High-EP griefer with an assault bot/mech comes in, kills everything with one shot. He has 2 sensor boosters + 2 weapon tunings so he pretty much one-shots everything and locks in half the time the other player needs
3. The low-EP player can't do anything since he can't call in his corp to suicide-gank even (Alpha I island). Just leave.
Results:
Low-EP player doesn't get anything, is frustrated. Might leave the game.
Griefer gets stuff he doesn't even need, he's already super-rich compared to the other guy and could make 3x more money doing T2 spawns. He just wants to be a jerk and the current tagging system makes it very easy for him to be one.

Heck, I saw a mech camping a L1 mission bot spawn. If he has a mech those bots are worthless to him, they are worthless to me even. And he was not grinding standings. I did the math, counted his kills. He got WAY more than the mission requirement is and never went back to pick another mission.
So - he wasn't getting anything valuable, he could make 5-10x more NIC per hour doing T2/3 spawns. But he prevented me from finishing my mission, let alone grind standings. And don't tell me "install a sebo". I have two. He still locked faster. L10 targetting speed extension + head full of sebos (since he doesn't need weapon tunings in a mech vs T1 light bots)?

Now, to be a bit more constructive - here's a few possible solutions:
1. Increase spawn rate of low-level (and low-level only!) bots like T1L depending on the number of players on-site. Why low-level only? Because we're talking about low-EP players who can't handle high-level ones anyway while the high-EP players should compete.
Result: increase in profit for low-EP players, reduction of newbie harassment.
Downsides: might be prone to abuse - like high-EP players farming such spots for easy NIC with multiple assault bots (might want to limit which bots will trigger additional spawns), opens up a new griefing tool: 5 griefers come into a site, force additional spawns, then retreat, leaving the newbie swarmed and probably dead.
2. (Assignment-only fix) Make the assignment-specific bots attackable only if you have the assignment in your log and it's not complete (for kill-and-loot - if you killed 5/5 target bots you can't attack anymore - so you are forced to loot them and run back). You could also make the assignment-specific bots ignore players who don't have the assignment to prevent a situation where I killed my 5/5 bots, new ones spawned and swarm me while I can't fire back.
Since the area of the islands is limited I guess it's impossible to create separate hidden spawns only for the player who got the assignment when he gets it (yup, shamelessly copying EVE here). But solution #2 would fix the issue of griefing assignment-runners.

Edit:
Idea 3 that just occurred to me:
Tag "strength" system dependent on attacker/target bot size:
Light/assault bot attacking any bot/mech produces a strength 100 tag
Mech attacking a light/assault bot produces a strength 75 tag
Mech attacking a mech/heavy mech produces a strength 100 tag
Heavy mech attacking a light/assault bot produces a strength 50 tag
Heavy mech attacking a mech produces a strength 75 tag
Heavy mech attacking a heavy mech produces a strength 100 tag
Higher strength tag overwrites lower strength tag. This will encourage farming bots/mechs of same size as your own bot/mech. Should eliminate jerks camping T1L spawns with mechs.
Of course this is just a draft and should take tech level into account as well...
This won't eliminate the problem but would help it a bit.

Raavi "The Unforgiven" Arda

Raavi Arda wrote:

1. Increase spawn rate of low-level (and low-level only!) bots like T1L depending on the number of players on-site. Why low-level only? Because we're talking about low-EP players who can't handle high-level ones anyway while the high-EP players should compete.
Downsides: might be prone to abuse - like high-EP players farming such spots for easy NIC with multiple assault bots (might want to limit which bots will trigger additional spawns), opens up a new griefing tool: 5 griefers come into a site, force additional spawns, then retreat, leaving the newbie swarmed and probably dead.

As you point out above, they are already camping these spots. They are farming Kernels which can sell for 5-20K + goo making it very profitable and not just griefing. Increasing the spawn rate will just make them more profitable and more likely to be farmed.

Solution #2 isn't so bad, but its an additional mechanic that's not in the game. If you notice the data caches drop for everyone, the NPC doesn't 'know' if your on the assignment or not, so that would somehow have to be added to the base coding.

The best solution is to acutally dilute the spawns and the spawn rate. Sitting on a site with 3 npcs that spawn only every 5 mins would be highly discouraging.

The tag strength idea is too complex, and suffers from the same additional coding issues.

Making the data consoles drop only for the one with the missions will make farming rep for industrials impossible sad

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Arga wrote:
Raavi Arda wrote:

As you point out above, they are already camping these spots. They are farming Kernels which can sell for 5-20K + goo making it very profitable and not just griefing. Increasing the spawn rate will just make them more profitable and more likely to be farmed.

Solution #2 isn't so bad, but its an additional mechanic that's not in the game. If you notice the data caches drop for everyone, the NPC doesn't 'know' if your on the assignment or not, so that would somehow have to be added to the base coding.

The best solution is to acutally dilute the spawns and the spawn rate. Sitting on a site with 3 npcs that spawn only every 5 mins would be highly discouraging.

The tag strength idea is too complex, and suffers from the same additional coding issues.

I have to disagree with you my friend:
1. T2 spawns are equally easy to kill for a semi-skilled player and they drop more profitable stuff, therefore bringing in more money per hour - that alone should encourage non-griefers to leave T1s alone
2. My idea stated explicitly to boost T1 spawns and only if there's more than 1 bot killing them, therefore farming alone will be same as it was. The balancing of how many extra spawns per additional bot on site is another issue.
3. Griefers will keep griefing and that is a fact. Let's not make things easy for them thou.

Raavi "The Unforgiven" Arda

Screw tagging, just drop loot for everyone who shoots at the bot so long as they do at least some baseline amount of damage (10% of HP? 20%?). The percentage of damage you do to the bot defines your end kill reward -- do 90% of the work, get 90% of the reward. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than fighting over spawn camping and similar irritating stuff? Yes.