Topic: The graphics in this game are garbage

I have seen better graphics on 15 year old games.

You want a subscription for this? Laughable.

You may now go ahead and sell my email address to some shady company, hopefully they will pay you enough to hire some real texture people.

Re: The graphics in this game are garbage

Thank you for your invaluable feedback, we really appreciate it!

I think the graphics are great, maybe your trolling. If not try turning your graphic settings up. if I remember right a lot of options are turned off by defualt, AA etc so try that.
Also i read on MMORPG that with NVIDIA cards you can turn up something called  'digital vibrance'.

My friends and I have stopped playing a few times just to look at the view.
If your compaireing this to eve then bear in mind that eve gets away with a lot because its in space, alot of what you see is wallpaper like background.

Jayka

This game has very good models when compared with some other games but I will agree that the engine does not handle textures well. I really don't like high res images on distant building but I would really like to see my own robot and terminals in more detail when closer to them.

Lets turn this troll thread into a real thread with some magic Dev edits maybe? Could BoyC or anyone that is involved with the engine give a break down of how LOD on textures could work? E.g. Game file size increase, possibly of reducing texture quality dynamically so that a single high res image is used.

I've always wondered and I know other people have some issue with texture detail are close ranges. This game is NOT alone with bad close texture detail but I've seen other neat tricks to get around this.

Views? Opinions?

Must be trolling, I think the graphics are fine, similar quality to other mmos ive played.

Graphics are pretty good actually. Maybe the color palette used isn't the most vibrant so at times it seems a bit dull, but I guess it fits the robotic world.

Like someone said already, EVE is nothing but empty space with a couple of backgrounds. There is hardly any geometry to render at all. Basically just spaceships, stations, asteroids and other minor structures. This is ridiculously easy to render. Very few polygons, very few shadows etc.

Under these circumstances, graphics are actually better than EVE (except the new CQ maybe).

My only complaint would be performance. The engine does seem to be a bit slow. FPS drops sometimes to what feels like 25 on my top of the line computer that doesn't break a sweat rendering any game that's currently out there (also dual boxing CQ at 60 fps).

Grahpics are fine. What is sad, are those who play games for only the graphics.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

seems to suck to be you Pie Eye, go back to.... nowhere obviously

yeah, i've seen games with better graphix too... but those take about 10 times the space on my HD and 1/3 of it is made of cutscenes and intro-credits... (i think some publishers intro-add is as big on HD then the whole perpetuum install)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

... and some guys like 'big' women.

It's personal preference, but the OP is obviously trolling, Ultima online was released in 1997 for historical referrence (15 yrs ago).

Maybe the engine is capable of creating the vibrant colored world from the movie "Avatar" but the design team went with muted colors to fit the robot lore. What I mean is the palate is dull, but that doesn't mean the graphics aren't capable of being vibrant.

Perhaps we are in the temperate band, and we'll find more tropical settings as we move toward the equator. Or more reasonably, we are seeing everything through digital sensors, not analog eyes.

In anycase, WYSIWYG.

Some of the best games I have ever played have had what many would consider "bad" graphics.

I don't consider Perpetuum to have "bad" graphics personally.

OP, perhaps you need upgrade your computer.  On a decent rig at the highest settings, the graphics of this game are a notch or two above serviceable.  Thats fine.  I'll take gameplay over graphics anyday.

Gameplay and content is far more important than graphics.
Of course, compared to Eve Online, graphics are less pretty, but have a look at some old videos of Eve, you'll be surprised to see the difference.

Not to be too arguementative, but there is a difference between creating graphics with the leading technology of the day, then upgrading them later such as Everquest/Everquest 2 and a game with just bad graphics.

Calling Perp's graphics garbage is just incorrect. The game is using the latest engines and taxes even higher end cards at full settings. The OP saying he doesn't like the graphics is OK and is entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't make them bad graphics. The muted palate doesn't mean the game isn't capable of having a grand colorful vista, that just isn't what the world looks like.

Now, if you talking specifically about the graphical 'artistry' then again its an opinion and you can't be wrong with something subjective.

Each to their own - in EVE someone said that the Dominix looked ugly.  A dev replied that he liked it - a nice polite "get stuffed on us changing it" type reply.

I like the look of it well enough.

Just let it die.....

->You just lost The Game<-

Pummeling deceased Equines?

Pie Eye  time for u to go back to WoW sounds like u'd fit in well there.

http://z0r.de/561

I have my graphics turned up quite a bit, but the resolution turned down just a tad and i find the graphics look really, really nice in this game. If you imagine an alien world ran by machines then everything starts to make sense.

I like the graphics.

I haven't had a chance to play much of the game yet but the graphics are great. 
You have to remember that here we have a living world were as in eve it was just a couple of painted backdrops, so I would imagine you would need a fairly decent graphics card to get the best out of Perp.

22 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-08-04 12:38:17)

well this game is cpu bottlenecked on my end (linux/wine) so I turned the graphics up a bit when I realised that. I like the shadows :-) self-shadowing does not work properly (or it can again be wine) but everything else is quite nice. can't wait to try it in full details on new CPUs.

all in all, graphics are nice for an MMO.

edit: I must admit my wife thinks the game is ugly :-)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Thank you for your invaluable feedback, we really appreciate it!

lol

Marak Mocam wrote:

Each to their own - in EVE someone said that the Dominix looked ugly.  A dev replied that he liked it - a nice polite "get stuffed on us changing it" type reply.

I like the look of it well enough.

and yet they changed the Scorpion hull :-( it was the best looking ship in the game.

The troll was successful, I'm afraid.  The sheer number of replies to the OP proves how trollable everyone (yes, I count myself...I'm here posting after all) lets themselves be.

Supposing it's possible that the OP may have been serious:  Get bent, they're a visual representation of a string of interacting numbers.  As long as they get the point across, they could compete Echelon's wireframes and I wouldn't care.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/c64/573358-eche … s/screen-2

Also, high end graphics limit a broader audience.  Striking a balance between system requirements and eye candy are a tough call for any game developer.  If you want sales, it's necessary to make sure a wide range of platforms can stand a fair chance at running a game.  But, if you want sales, a game needs to appeal to a population that will base their decision about its value primarily on graphical aspects.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/