Re: We need a stronger backstory and sense of purpose

DEV Calvin wrote:

Also, holy necro batman!

Yea, this thread was the result of a google search about perp back story, posted before checking dates. MY BAD.

Perhaps there might be room for fan/player contributed material? Such as stories and journals? For those interested in such things anyway as it won't affect those who don't.

A awhile ago there was one guy doing a bit of fanfic it would be nice to see more of those word talented people doing some of this.

Here is the link to his story
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ost-spark/

I Think a Intro Movie (One time run w/option to run again in Control panel) would help with initial immersion into this universe. Many other games do this. Depth and Info are also important on the website (EG. Mega Corp Foundations and principles, Alien Bot info ect..).

As for Fan Fiction stories A thread should be created on the forums for general review before any adoption could or should be considered (I Contributed some to HomeWorld back in the day).

Until we get more immersion into the Aliens of Perp however a true story would be difficult to come up with. Perhaps some sort of (I Know here comes a Eve term sorry) Chronicle to get that ball rolling?

These things take time and money (as well as skill) though so I know it will take time.

The background story is sufficient to convey a general sense of what we're doing and why we're all where we are doing what we do.  It's a good primer to get someone into the setting of the game with minimal fuss or additional "study" effort that not everyone has or wishes to invest.  Many people just want to play Internet robots and not worry so much about the history.  On the other hand, the fact that this thread exists demonstrates that some people in the community are interested in additional storyline.  While I agree that video can and does do a good job setting the tone, production of something that looks good requires time and effort.  Written words allow for more mental flexibility, allowing readers to combine the author's vision with their own experiences to build lasting mental images as they read a story.  Of course, that degree of quality requires a fairly competent writer.  With a small development team that is busy interacting with the players, squashing bugs, and adding new features, it might not be fair to expect them to also toss in significant time expanding on the background.

That leads me to my point.  I can't speak for everyone here, but I would like to see Perpetuum continue rising as a successful MMO.  If the player community sees a hole or a shortcoming in game world background, then why don't we take it upon ourselves to develop more of the world?  Some of us might be able to fabricate good quality stories that can be turned over to Avatar Creations to be considered for incorporation into the game world's official lore.  While not many of us have the tools and experience necessary to assist with game development beyond providing constructive feedback, all of us have keyboards and some of us are experienced writers with the will, time, and desire to help.

Is there a mutual interest from the developer side and if so, how do we, the players, submit contributions to the company?  Are there areas that we should focus on in particular and/or aspects of the existing background we should leave alone due to planned changes in the existing story or game mechanics?

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

AC just hired a story writer to help exand the lore, as well as fill out the new web site. The 'new guy' probably needs a little time to get comfortable with the job, but after hopefully will feel confident enough to integrate player generated lore too; as long as it fits into the game cannon of course.

I'm excited to see what they come up with, but crowd-sourcing is really powerful stuff, and can help fill the details in of a broad stroke.

Thanks Arga. smile  You're always filled with useful information.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Arga wrote:

AC just hired a story writer to help exand the lore, as well as fill out the new web site. The 'new guy' probably needs a little time to get comfortable with the job, but after hopefully will feel confident enough to integrate player generated lore too; as long as it fits into the game cannon of course.

I'm excited to see what they come up with, but crowd-sourcing is really powerful stuff, and can help fill the details in of a broad stroke.

It would be a big shame if the existing player-created lore was not included in the "history" of Perpetuum, there is a lot of quality drama and politics to depict the multi-layered complexity of Perpetuum's playerbase.

The war between the Closed Beta powerblocks, the Domhalarn Civil War, the Norhoop War, the Great War... Can write a bible on this, if their guys gets the information.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

The war between the Closed Beta powerblocks, the Domhalarn Civil War, the Norhoop War, the Great War... Can write a bible on this, if their guys gets the information.

Nothing builds player loyalty more then when they 'become' part of the game. Obviously not everyone can have a building named after them or anything, but Syndic is spot on with integrating what is actually happening in the game to the cannon.

After all, the history of the Nian occupation isn't history, its happening now.

Tracking and reporting on 'stuff' is too much for one person, but this is where the crowd sourced Perpetuum news letter type thing could be filled with content from the game happenings (reported by players) and then edited by AC and presented on the web site. It doesn't have to even be wholly accurate, because since when do reporters get everything right anyway smile + of course fan fiction. They tap us for game mechanic and balance info, should do the same for lore.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Thanks Arga. smile  You're always filled with useful information.

Stop, stop .. its too much... no keep going big_smile

+1 from me

With this in mind can i request a separate room on the forums for In game character discussions / story's. I know we have corp discussion but that will tend to get bogged down with out of character stuff.

if this is not possible on this website can we be assured that such an area will be in place on the new website?

Story is always good.  Probably most people who play this game (as with EVE) are into PvP and interpersonal relationships.  But some people enjoy games like these more for immersion - the immersion of being a space pilot in the vastness of space, the immersion of being on an alien world in a strange situation.

As far as the devs are concerned, I should imagine that while their priority is the first type of player, they do spare some thoughts for us immersioneers and roleplayers too - after all, our money's as good as anyone else's.

I think it's understandable that the devs will focus on getting the PvP and the sandbox right as first priority, but I'm sure they will gradually flesh out the PvE side of the game as time goes on too.  CCP did it, and eventually did make some pretty engaging wee storylines (the Epics, Cosmos, etc.), I'm sure Avatar Creations will get round to it too.

Story stuff is part of the "sand" in a sandbox game, it's like a basic skeleton or a framework on which players create what they create.

38 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-06 18:36:18)

First I'd like to state for the record - I'd like a building named after me.

From what I notice in every game I've seen with official storylines or story-pieces, players and their organizations are -never- named or even alluded to - story seems to spring up out of nowhere (save in one other MMO I played).  I can only suspect it is the matter of 'Not going to give player X/group X a big head or sense of entitlement from it' or 'Not going to make player Y or group Y feel left out because they weren't noticed'.

Personally I'm not sure if it is a good call or a bad one - sure no one gets offended, but also no one can get truly connected and influence the gameworld.  Suppose it is one of those 'mixed bags' of issues.

<-- Roleplayer/storywriter type, when there's nothing to pew at. smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Can i resurrect this thread, how is the new website coming? If it has not developed much further can i ask for a separate room on the forums for in character / Backstory creations etc?

Its the one request that can only serve to improve the game and its overall visibility it will attract other people, and whats more the whole thing can be ignored by those not caring about the storys that could surround Nia.

Backstory of the Gamma Islands, can I haz?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086