Topic: Death of EvE, now WoW?!? What a week!

PC Gamer announced today that WoW is taking a giant first step to becoming Free-2-play with endless trials.

First EvE goes Pay-2-Win, now WoW goes Free-2-Play .... oh the insanity of it all!

What is our gaming world coming too?!?!?

I'm staying here in the #Botpack and enjoying my 2 shiny subs with Perpetuum!

0/ see you in-game

-Leo

linakge:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/28/play- … rial-mode/

Re: Death of EvE, now WoW?!? What a week!

ZOMG a Third Wave big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

What happens when you build a 30' Tsunami wall around a Nuclear power plant, then get hit by a 35' wave. You create a great big swimming pool.

That is some of these players may leak back out, but some will get trap in our awesome game for the duration. >:)

Leo wrote:

PC Gamer announced today that WoW is taking a giant first step to becoming Free-2-play with endless trials.

First EvE goes Pay-2-Win, now WoW goes Free-2-Play .... oh the insanity of it all!

What is our gaming world coming too?!?!?

I'm staying here in the #Botpack and enjoying my 2 shiny subs with Perpetuum!

0/ see you in-game

-Leo

linakge:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/28/play- … rial-mode/

Endless trials make sense if you think about it. It reduces the load on their registration systems from people simply creating new accounts whenever their trial runs out. In a game like WoW the endless trial thing wouldn't really be an issue if a few things are addressed properly beforehand. Such as these people locked at level 20 doing battlegrounds, will they be put in the bracket with exp locked twinks? For an example of how to screw up an endless trial see Warhammer Online.

As for EVE dying....well, it sure doesn't look good. I honestly can't understand some of the absolutely batshit insane things CCP has done and said recently. It's as if they are trying to destroy their game on purpose.

EVE should be an example to every other MMO developer of how NOT to do things.

I highly doubt we'll see a "Former WoW players raid Perpetuum!" thread.....

->You just lost The Game<-

Neoxx wrote:

You have got to admit though.. how epic would that be!

Neoxx wrote:

no, youll see a 'Former WoW players stuck in outposts' thread as they cannot figure out how to exit tongue

Yes, Ive played WoW for a few months. Not saying 'all wow players are stoopid' but met a few that made me thankfukk WoW existed, it kept these people away from other games where I might have to deal with them.

Affiliated with CIR, Not actively playing, not neutral

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

EVE-Online is far from dead.  The only thing that happened the last two weeks was some worthless bitter vets left due to being failures.  That's it and nothing more.  I know it pains some of you to hear the truth but there you have it.

If by failures you mean "Sorry, don't have a super high end computer for this patch", then prolly a few.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Leo wrote:

LOL I TOLD U I TOLD U I TOLD U IN IRC THAT IT WOULD BE!!!!!1111
LOL LOL LOL LOL
sry for caps...cant hold laugh about another mmo fail.....

Wow has been out since 2004, and has been the de-facto MMO for atleast 5 years and made 100's of millions of dollars. I would hardly call that fail.

Just like long running TV shows, even MMO's have to reach an end-of-life. While players associate the MMO with an alternate reality for themselves, companies with investors are looking at products with 'growth'. So Bliz is known to be working on a new MMO, and being the leader in the market, anything they put out is going to cannablize thier own customer base.

WoW's huge player base has somewhat streached the typical MMO/Game cycle of Release-expansion-maintenance-closure but it's not immune. And of course Blizzard isn't going to shut-down the cash cow while it's still pouring out milk, it's looking 5-10 years down the road at the next game that isn't based on subscriptions, since the MT model has proven to be much more lucrative.

That is, Blizzard isn't looking to create antother Iconic MMO, realistically they'll put their development efforts into high-profit games like Synga and let WOW just slowly fade away.

If we see an increase in *** we know who to blame.

Sundial wrote:

If we see an increase in *** we know who to blame.

I swear, I had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING!  Just because my mere presence damages the overall average IQ of the game so badly that we're now, as a population, just drooling meat sacks doesn't mean it's purely my fault!

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/