Topic: How do I find a point to point route without aimless wandering?

Is there any good way to find a route to where you want to go?  It seems like 90% of an island is unpassable terrain and it’s really frustrating just trying to get from A to B.  I’ve got unpassable terrain turned on and on the radar, but the radar one is useless since there is so much unpassable terrain it’s all just a blob.  Is there a way to show impassable terrain on the main map?  Teleports/bases look close on the map, but when you get to the island it turns out you’ve got to go all over the place to actually get there.

I lost a few days worth of playing getting totally lost on Tellesis trying to get to the main terminal when I was demobilized by half a dozen npcs that took out my hauler (2 days for the hauler, 1 day to fill it up) in a few shots.  How do you even get to the Tellesis Main Terminal from Kausdam I Teleport?  It seems like you’ve got to drive all the way around the island. 

I’m failing to find any fun in this game, just frustration in trying to do the simplest things like finding a route since you can’t go more than a few hundred meters without running into a gully or a mountain.  I even followed a speed-boost highway that led straight into a wall on one island. 

Or is Tellesis just a pain in the backside island more so than others because when I got there the amount and layout of the impassable terrain just seemed ridiculous.  I suggest denoting on the map that some of the Alpha islands are significantly more dangerous vis-a-vis NPCs than other Alpha islands.

Re: How do I find a point to point route without aimless wandering?

there isnt a way, but I've never really had the problem your having.  I just use the radar, zoom in and zoom out, find your target location and trace it backward to your current location.

I wouldnt start a journey in my car if I didnt first plan the route, so why would you in PO ?

Anyway knowing the map and learning your way around it is part of the fun, knowing the territory well in pvp is a huge key to victory.

Thanks.  I feel pretty stupid now, never even tried to zoom on the radar and was only seeing it zoomed way out so I couldn’t discern a path at that zoom level.  I also now know that by turning off the colored regions on the main map that you can actually see the topography of the island and where you need to go.  Turns out I was heading the wrong way and learned although not an expensive lesson a very time consuming one.  I had mapped out the 5 teleports I needed to take, I just didn’t know the map/radar options/controls to efficiently get me from spot to spot.

Is there a way to show impassable terrain on the main map?

ever tried that dropdown menue on the lower right corner of the map?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Is there a way to show impassable terrain on the main map?

ever tried that dropdown menue on the lower right corner of the map?

Yep, I noticed that way off in the corner too once my beer goggles cleared up a bit.  I had been furiously right-clicking the map to no avail since the right-click did it on the radar (which I was thinking of as a radar rather than as a mini-map).  I think I've got the map/radar down now and it's much easier to get around in unfamiliar territory now.  It's been many years since I was a noob in a game, I had forgotten how that can be (had only played Eve and Civ 3/4/5 the last few years).  I guess it's kinda like how in Eve where when you start the overview is in a less than optimal configuration.

Thanks for the help guys.