Topic: Courier Missions: Unbalancing the Starter Game, Weakening the Economy

Gentlemen-

Begging pardon if I violate any traditions or what not with this post. First time poster, new to the game, and I'm a tad short on time to peruse the entire forum at home, since it's blocked at work. (Them bastages!)

I'd like to offer up this point for consideration:

Courier Missions, as they stand at the moment, are absolutely wrecking the economy. Before you call me an alarmist, allow me to explain. (Then call me an alarmist if you want.)

My friends and I started playing at the same time; roughly 20 of us all within a 48 hour period. We represent a pretty large cross-section of players - some raw killing types, some industrialists, some miners, some market players, etc. We're a lot of former-heads-of-sections in an EVE corp, so we're all pretty experienced in our lot.

What we quickly found was that, bar none and far away, the guys willing to run courier missions between the Alphas above anything else, were wildly and crazily outstripping everyone else in cash. We're not talking margins of 20-30%, which would be icky, or even portions of 50-80%, which would be alarming. I wish I was being melodramatic when I said the margin is closer to 1000%.

A courier runner right now is pulling in approximately 1.5m an hour. A miner might pull in 800 or so if they found a sizable Liquizit deposit or chased plants around. A killer is pulling in - at most - 250k. New players realistically can't grab major scanning sites, and if they did, they'd have to work in sufficient numbers to ensure safety, cutting the profit margins back down. Result?

The killers aren't pew-pewing, for the most part, once they figure out the Courier Triumverate - the laps between the three alphas. Some still kill because, let's face it, they love the adrenaline. The bigger problem, though, are the miners: Miners tend to have time to surf forums, to talk to people, and to quickly find out about the Courier Triumverate, and as soon as they do, they leave mining and don't come back.

Now one might fairly say that "Well, they'll come back to mining eventually." And they may - but the problem is that this game is populated with lots of younger players, and younger players serve a very large function in the economy:

They're your low-end mineral people. It's absolutely economically idiotic to mine titan ore unless you're doing it for a mission... and why would you be doing THOSE missions anyhow? Drive out to a spot where titan's green, fiddle with it for five minutes, drive back. your buddy in the courier's just completed four missions.

Until the legs are kicked out from under the courier missions, low-end killing is going to be deflated. I'd imagine - I don't know for sure, as I'm not the master industrialist my friends are - that there are vital components in the low end materials. (I do know about kernels, but any need for those is finite, since you can eventually master the material.) Low-end minerals aren't going to be mind practically at all, as there's just no need. This translates to over-expensive markets and too few producers, since industrialists have to choose between buying overexpensive materials or mining it themselves. Most items that we've examined - weapon tunings being the obvious exception - tend to be vastly overpriced to their manufacture cost. (I'm all for making a profit, but there are items going for 400-500% of cost out there. That is NOT healthy for the market.)

So quick post before I leave for work, and to close, some disclosures:

One of my characters IS a miner. The other is a former killer who stopped and switched to couriers because the financial difference was jaw-dropping.

In order for the economy to become self-supporting, we have to have players injecting material into the economy. The only thing the couriers inject is cash, and that cash has no value to industry, and so inflation is/will be a major factor. It's great that mining missions tell you to keep your ore and sell it, but the financial benefits still aren't there - neither for killing  and looting, nor for mining and selling.

Until the average independent player is urged away from running the Courier Triangle between the three alpha players for the first two weeks of playing the game (maybe more, for all I know) the market will remain sparse. Perpetuum needs materials from the little guy - the big corps are insular and take care of themselves. Until we give the little guy a recent to kick in materials, the market - and anything but courier running for noobs - is going to be nearly deserted.

Thanks for the time and consideration of the post.

Re: Courier Missions: Unbalancing the Starter Game, Weakening the Economy

I don't get your points. yes you can run transport make decent cash but its not the only way to make decent cash.

you apparently have't done much mineing I have far from good skills and i can pull in 80u in ore in 30 min you mentioned titan mineing as your example so let me do the same tonight

mined titan fill a sequer ever 30 min takes 10 min to haul it to station. now given I now have two choices sell it raw which at current price is around 800k or refine it and sell that which sadly is only worth 665 with my refineing skills so I sell it raw.

i just made 800k in 40 min and thats just with a termis level 7 in mineing skills no advanced mineing skills t1 mod and virtuly no support skills can only run 2 med miners and 2 small due to accum.

I have seen miners with good skills fill a lithus is 20 min without breaking a sweat thats twice the profit in less the time so yea transport make you money but its not the only way or even the best.

lets look at combat did that tonight to just to farm kernals in about an hour i made 2 mil from plasma alone over 50 kernels and 45u in damaged moduels this is just on a t2 spawn if would recycle the mods and sell the kernals thats a pretty sizable amount of nic.

so i would say no transport are not ruining the econmy the only thing there doing is brining nic into it with no risk and no cost thats the only problem with them is inflation with no risk.

Play for a month then see how things are. New players assume NIC is so wonderful when it is not. Mining is done to manufacture bots/mods, not for cash. Only n00bs with piggy capitalist ideals desire cash. After you have played awhile you learn that NIC is a very minor thing here.

4 (edited by Constructor 2011-05-13 18:12:50)

First, sorry for my english. ;)

I play since a couple of days and i feel the same like Antigone Psitalon does. Also started with a few friends. As the only one of us who does industry and harvesting i was excited of the possiblites this game - and in general the sandbox genre - has. As i discovered that doing lv 1 transport missions is the absolutly best, easyest and safest way to get redicioulus amounts of money, i was frustrated.

I see two main problems here:

There are no early-game markets
Usually, new industrials supplying the early-game market, more advanced players supplying the further developed areas or her own corp. That's some kind of economic circuit who depends on the principles of Gain, Offer and Need. Sadly, it's actually not working on the Beginner lands because a fighter (our consumer) as example can create two characters who instantly can do a large amount of money in short time with tiny investment of money. He has no need to buy cheap or maybe produce by himself (and become an industrialist).

Different playstyles
I understand why advanced players may say that nic are a minior thing and that all those guys who come to the game and think they can build a industry empire are noobs, but still there are people who enjoy different styles of playing this game and they should able to do so. That's the strength of the sandbox. It's actually not necessary to play a dedicated industrialist. And the lv 1 courier missions are a main reason for this.

Search the forums, there are at least (3) threads and hundreds of posts about this, so I'm not going to go into detail; if your interested in the details, search for 'transport'.

As I just posted a few minutes ago, many Indy players come into the game expecting to vertically-integrate as a solo player, and you can do that, but it takes many many months of EP.

1.5 million an hour, which by the way isn't how much a 'starter' player makes, you need to have a sequar, Nav 10, parrallel assignments, logistics, and buy a T4 LWF to get this much per hour. Or, you can have 2 accounts each earning 750K/hour out of the gate.

Players that have multiple accounts are going to make more NIC/hour, that's how the game is setup. You don't have-to-have two or more accounts to play, but for obvious reasons you can't balance single account income to multiple account players.

The market is still ... bent. It was broken, but as more players come into the game it is slowly starting to correct. Right now, there is a huge imbalance between new and vetern players; I would say over 80% are vets, so yes the early game economy doesn't have a large market base.

I reject the concept of transports unbalancing the game, because any player can run these missions, as the OP points out, and they do. The NIC is there for everyone, not just 1 "Class".

Players do outgrow the lvl 1 missions, and yes a small number continue to pursue them, but the NIC they generate is not causing inflation, the 80% vetern/new player inbalance is what your seeing.

Read the other threads, then post.

There's always going to be one way in a game that's better for earning income than others, it's only natural. By how much is fair though, that's debatable. But I think Dev's have noted that they're working on changes to assignments at the moment, so we'll likely see a new situation crop up one way or another.

In regards to industry and newer players, well, they took titan ore off of Beta islands and stuck it on Alpha islands exclusively. That should in a way help newer players who are limited to Alpha islands. Granted, I'm sure most corps and established players have a decent stockpile so this change won't be evident right away. But sooner or later this change is going to trickle in to play and I think that will help open up more options for cashing in.

A big part though, at least to me, really falls on what you want to do with your time. I know courier missions are probably one of the best ways to earn easy NIC, but to be honest, I couldn't be arsed to do something that boring for any greater extent of time. And yes, I am a big Min-Maxer, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sacrifice my sanity for a couple extra bucks. I'd sooner go roam and see what I can find to kill. It keeps me engaged and entertained albeit being a bit less lucrative. As it is, anyone can do these assignments, so the market aspects that it has the potential to control is in a decent state of equilibrium right now.

7 (edited by Annihilator 2011-05-15 11:52:38)

additional note:
- beta islands have epriton, but no titan ore
- new alpha islands have titan ore, but rare harvestable plants
- old alpha island have low ammount plants.

edit: new islands do contain harvestable plants, but they are rare or not reachable by mech or heavy mech

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

8 (edited by Khader Khan 2011-05-15 11:09:06)

Grim Faust wrote:

In regards to industry and newer players, well, they took titan ore off of Beta islands and stuck it on Alpha islands exclusively. That should in a way help newer players who are limited to Alpha islands. Granted, I'm sure most corps and established players have a decent stockpile so this change won't be evident right away. But sooner or later this change is going to trickle in to play and I think that will help open up more options for cashing in.

Not poking sticks or fingers but I have seen Multiple Beta owning corps on Alpha islands ravaging the Titan ore spots... Thats not helping anything, and as stated in that other post about that.... Big Corps that are self sufficient will remain that... they will not buy titan when they can have "titan day"

But back on topic... yes a "noob" can earn vast amounts of nic per hour running transports... Some greedy ones will continue to do this and drain themselves out of the game. Others will move on to what makes them happy as stated above a toon that does mine and has EP spent in mining can make more nic per hour vs a transporter. Also a combat toon can make over 1 mill in one hour on just plasma (you must spend ep on your combat skills DPS) if you have a recylcing indy friend/alt you can farm a spot that has e-war mods and make even more from the espitium you recycle. I'll admit i got grinded out on transports trying to get my reputation back after I re-rolled. Thank god for squad accept missions and rep from my combat toon.

Even if they nerfed the payout of the transports or made a 3 round cap per 24hours on those missions people will still run them for the "easy Nic"

9 (edited by Guns nButter 2011-05-24 21:31:27)

I can't help but notice that one of my corp mates made nearly 30 mil in 2 days running the level 1 transport loop in his sequer.
With an arbalest running level 2 combat assignments, I struggled to reach the 1 million mark in 2 weeks at about 4 - 6 hours a day. Eventually I got all of my fitting and cap skills to 5 so that it's not QUITE as bad now, but it is still a horribly slow way to make money. I even have my industrial alt mining and crafting ammo for me (factory ME 56%) and that only helps slightly.

Am I doing it wrong? Or are transport missions just that infinitely more profitable than combat missions?

edit: I have every single combat skill related to small magnetics at 5 except for improved falloff, for clarity.

combat missions just suck - stop grinding the missions and just grind the plasma, and you can beat that mission runner eventually.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/26085/#p26085

For (2) Sequars following each other with T4 frames @ 80 kph:
With 7 assignments, 0 tax, 1 sequar with Specialized Logistics 5

Alpha 'rounders' - level 1 transport missions starting and ending at ICS-Alpha
ICS Level 2/3 Rounder - 5xLevel 3/6x Level 2

Alpha Rounder / Hour = 3.19 Million NIC / hour + ~120k ammo (based on market)
Level 2/3 Round/Hout= 2.00 Million NIC / hour + ~ 280k ammo (based on market)

This isn't exactly a 'starter' character, and its possible with a few more levels in parrallel assignments and Logistics specialization, a single sequar could do 2M/hour, but props to your corp mate for being able to keep it up for 16 hours over 2 days. The previous post was made before the highways went in, but 2M/hour is

Nav 10 is 20K EP, 8 Assignmnets is 8,700 EP, and logics spec 7 is 16k, + 1.2 Mill for T4 frame, so a couple of weeks of EP, if you put all your starter EP into nav.

But, you don't get any 'experience' running transports. If all you want is nic, you too can run transports, what you are getting for your combat time is learning how to use the terrain, counter EW, and fire effectively. There's more to the combat game then just pressing space bar.

Arga wrote:

*snip*

But, you don't get any 'experience' running transports. If all you want is nic, you too can run transports, what you are getting for your combat time is learning how to use the terrain, counter EW, and fire effectively. There's more to the combat game then just pressing space bar.

Seeing as how I am indeed learning about terrain, EW, and juking running these combat missions...You have just summed up Perpetuum. Good game, sir.

13 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-02 14:10:01)

Antigone Psitalon wrote:

A courier runner right now is pulling in approximately 1.5m an hour. A miner might pull in 800 or so if they found a sizable Liquizit deposit or chased plants around. A killer is pulling in - at most - 250k. New players realistically can't grab major scanning sites, and if they did, they'd have to work in sufficient numbers to ensure safety, cutting the profit margins back down. Result?

I had a very similar problem when I started as fighter. I could barly buy the amunition I need.

UNTIL ...

Somebody told me, that all the Plasma NPC drob is some sort of "bounty" smile.

I allways collected it and saved it as it might be some production material. When this friendly guy told me, it is no production stuff, I suddenly had ~3 mil NIC *g*.

Now when I run a mission I procede killing NPC until my cargo is full and normaly return with 100 to 250k Plasma in my Cargo. Combined with the production mats, some drobed T1 stuff, mission bounty it's maybe 150 to 350k NIC peer run. And one run is about 10 minutes wink.

So as 4 day old fighter I earn ~900k to 2,1m NIC/hour.
Well, most time less as I browse the Market any time I'm in a Station *g*.
But it's doable.

PS: the range is so high as it's random how many good or bad T1 drobs you get. If you sell all the Kernals, you might even get much more. I use them for my Database wink. And I don't sell production materials as I try to produce some stuff by myselve.

Arga wrote:

Search the forums, there are at least (3) threads and hundreds of posts about this, so I'm not going to go into detail; if your interested in the details, search for 'transport'.

As I just posted a few minutes ago, many Indy players come into the game expecting to vertically-integrate as a solo player, and you can do that, but it takes many many months of EP.

1.5 million an hour, which by the way isn't how much a 'starter' player makes, you need to have a sequar, Nav 10, parrallel assignments, logistics, and buy a T4 LWF to get this much per hour. Or, you can have 2 accounts each earning 750K/hour out of the gate.

Players that have multiple accounts are going to make more NIC/hour, that's how the game is setup. You don't have-to-have two or more accounts to play, but for obvious reasons you can't balance single account income to multiple account players.

The market is still ... bent. It was broken, but as more players come into the game it is slowly starting to correct. Right now, there is a huge imbalance between new and vetern players; I would say over 80% are vets, so yes the early game economy doesn't have a large market base.

I reject the concept of transports unbalancing the game, because any player can run these missions, as the OP points out, and they do. The NIC is there for everyone, not just 1 "Class".

Players do outgrow the lvl 1 missions, and yes a small number continue to pursue them, but the NIC they generate is not causing inflation, the 80% vetern/new player inbalance is what your seeing.

Read the other threads, then post.

I'm also new but I am not new to sandboxes - like many around here, I'm from EVE but I'm also spent my time in EVE helping train new players - for over a year and a half, seeing roughly 300 or so new faces every month.  One thing I can tell you about new players is how they focus or don't focus on their careers based upon their introduction to the game.

Who chooses to stay or go, generally do so within the first couple of weeks and having the top source of income being running circles between bases is not exciting nor all that interesting to new players.  (Nor is shooting rocks with lasers for many in EVE - few join that game looking to be miners yet that profession is a healthy portion of the population.)

In EVE I tend to recommend them getting into mission running - combat missions - at the start.  This gets  them thinking and focusing on doing and taking damage.  Not on climbing into an industrial to make enough to operate and spending their time trying to "build up capital" in a non-combat fashion.

For industrialist focused players, the current layout is awesome.  For those that wish to find more combat oriented play later - PvE or PvP - income based upon combat is a superior incentive to keep pushing in those directions instead of focusing on other "peripheral" areas of a game that won't necessarily lead them to where many would like to see them going.

Similar to EVE; this game is earn in PvE, spend in PvP.  Focusing them AWAY from combat early on won't attract nor keep those who will be spending on replacements and no replacements = market glut which is bad for industrialist types as well.

As such, an adjustment that favors increased income for combat early on will have them working nav, fittings, weapons, defenses, so on and so forth - not industrial mechs and figuring out how quickly they can get between teleports, terminals and outposts without getting shot at.

"Balanced" more - not necessarily favoring but hearing "been playing 3 days and making 1.5-2 mill/hr"... That's a hell of a lot more than someone struggling to do T2/T3L's is going to make and "teaming up" - that reduces the income they might make trying combat so let's run circles between safe-bases...

Not good.

tl;dr: If you want to see more PvP players then get them income using weapons and being shot at from the start.  Not "wasting days" running circles between safe bases, in stripped down mechs, while training non-combat oriented skills as the best income option - balance it out better.

Be careful that the balancing you are asking for does not end up being a courier mission nerf. What those missions does give is some NIC to start getting into decent bots with decent equipment. Take it away and you have EP poor and NIC poor starters, not a fun way to start a game.

The guys killing npcs making 250k an hour are farming the wrong spawns. smile You can bring in at least 1mil an hour on plasma alone by yourself.

Try better spawns.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

The guys killing npcs making 250k an hour are farming the wrong spawns. smile You can bring in at least 1mil an hour on plasma alone by yourself.

Try better spawns.

First; You're talking farming a location, not doing missions.  "Everyone knows" doing missions, outside of transport missions, is not worth it.

Even so - 10 people trying the same spawn location will kill it and you had several hundred new players show up within a few days. With a little luck, this will become a far more normal condition as the game grows.

Now picture 10 miners trying to do missions...  Forget it.

50 transport runners?  Zero competition for the resources, zero risk  on your mech, etc...  You could literally have 5000 transport runners all making exactly the same income but NOT any other type of mission runners.

Even with "farming" combat mission sites, you use ammo so have costs associated with these that you don't have with others.

PS: "1 mill an hour" - around half the income of an equivalent transport runner - with no costs and no risks doing them.

I will admit.  On my first spec was for the transport mission farming.  I was averaging 50k per minute.  Pretty sure nothing out there comes close to that for a character less than a month old.  I respeced to combat because it is more fun, but damn... I sure do miss that easy NIC.

19 (edited by BugSplat 2011-07-03 13:03:49)

Agreed for the most part.
Lower the number, rewards, and standings adjustment for that L1 loop.  Increase them commensurately for the L2+ rat race, and increase the number of L2+ missions available at outposts.
Right now maxing out at 2.1 doing the loop is as far as any sane person would ever want to get... trying to up standings any more by going on repetitive wild-goose-chases all over creation to do the L2+ missions makes a poor industrial player want to gouge out his eyes and go back to Eve, dead as it is.

I agree that the courier missions are have way better income for the new player than other activities (some people say artifact scanning is good, but I am not sure what the NIC/hour is).  Courier missions, as pointed out above, is that they are very consistent in the income, really easy to side-train into, have no competition, and are extremely boring.

I think that we all agree that no other mission up to an and including lvl2's (and lvl3's? I haven't done those) provides a similar income.  Other activities do, but not missions.  Therefore, the missions are not balanced well.  The only reason right now to do lvl2's is for standing gains.

I gave my alt Nav 6, Industrial robots 4, parallel assignments 4, with lots of EP still remaining from the initial 20k.  He easily pulls 1m from lvl1's in a LWF sequer.  From the profits I bought a T4 LWF and now it is bringing in even more.  But with the highways, a T4 is not really necessary.  You regularly arrive before the "molecular instability" runs out and have to wait.

My main is a week old and specced purely in combat, with no EP in unrelated areas.  I finally found the optimal spawn for me, that has my guns pretty much firing non-stop.  In a T3-guns, triple-tuning assault  bot I am now pulling in > 1m/hour (hard to judge how to value the dropped mods), if noone comes to contest the spawn.  I have no idea where the "easy 2 mil/hour" for a new character.  Maybe if  I was a month old or was in a Mech, but not right now.  While I get similar income (and finally have more fun), I am not getting standings.

So, something needs to be done about the courier missions or at least their balance against other missions.  If I was a game designer, I would try to make the payouts dynamic based on # of missions run.  But a simple tweak to the numbers might be ok, as well.

When you run a transport mission, all you get is the assignment reward.

You have to include all the additional items that you get from the combat mission, not just the NIC from completing the assignment.

These (2) add significant NIC per bot
- Reactor plasma
- 50% Kernel drop
Granted these 3 aren't huge money, but it's non-zero
- Broken modules
- Ammo
- fragmnets

The issue is with the time it takes to complete the combat missions, not the reward. The devs have already posted that they are looking at ways to reduce the travel time to/from the spawn sites.

With reduced travel, the NIC/hour will be comparable to level 1 missions if you do MULTIPLE COMBAT mission in the same run.

You can't compare the NIC/hour of (4) parrallel missions in transport to (1) combat mission.

22 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-04 06:15:08)

So the issue may not necessarily be the couriers, but the combat missions.  As they're being adjusted (or so I heard) perhaps best to wait for this.  ATM yes as combat I farm for plasma -- you need to find the right spawns, bring friends.  2 combat bots and a hauler = 4mil NIC in 3hrs-ish in liquid capital and stuff to put on the open market (I'm clueless on the value of that, as the hauler is dealing with it).  With the market being shaken up so badly, I know it is hard for the normal combat-oriented type to re-adjust thought (I certainly had to blink twice) but invest in buy-orders instead of biting the bullet and buying those rediculously overpriced assault bots and the market will HAVE to restabilize; if they're not making money selling them at outrageous prices, they have to lower the prices or sell them to the orders for their 'quick cash' too.

Edit: P.S.  You have been invaded by evil capitalist pig-dogs smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Still, combat missions + plasma selling will bring you more than a courier missions running.

And it's much more fun to pew-pew than a hour-by-hour pushing one button big_smile

So it's for you to decide how to make NIC.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Gremrod wrote:

Try better spawns.

This coming from the same guy laughing in TS about how much money he's making (for the corp of course) from dual box transport looping.
yarr

->You just lost The Game<-

No one caught the NECRO.... Bad Necro 30+ day old topics stink like dead cows....
Either way missions are on the Dev's radar and will get ECM'ed/Neuted to death as I'm sure they will cause great pain and long night to find a nice balance where people don't complain that one is better than the other.
Any one from the space ship game do Mining missions for Minedrill? .... They were the 2nd best paying LVL 4 missions in the game but no one wants to mine fake ore for $ when you could mine "real" ore and make a product/profit.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum