Topic: Ep/Character Reset Headache

When I first started the game I did not know which direction I wanted to go, I tried to spec as well rounded character as I could, and trained many things that were unnecessary. When I found what I wanted to do in game it was too late, decisions had been made, EP spent, and I was stuck waiting it out and speccing for what I wanted to do (albeit more slowly than if I had specialized in the first place).

I, being a noob, decided to delete my character (while giving my assets to a friend for safekeeping of course wink), and reroll another. Thinking that it would free up the EP, and character name for me to do things right the second time. I finish the character creation thinking everything thing was set for the career path I wanted to take, only to find out that I am negative in EP. And that i should have done an account reset, so here i am stuck with a 24 hour waiting period, with negative 2k EP, and theres *** all anybody can do about it.

The removal of the 24hr timer will be helpful in the future for players in my current situation, but I feel like its a workaround, rather than a real solution.

I feel that new players are forced to make career path decision before they even get started, and are able to choose a career path that they will enjoy in the game. Even if the reset works so that players can respec when they find out what they want to do, it still removes the first days worth of efforts, as everything is lost pertaining to your character, standings, research, inventory, and even your avatar are all gone.

I feel that a new player should have a (limited) opportunity to change these decisions, before they are set in stone and a reset is required, as you have a limited amount of resets, and resetting has its penalties.

As far as attributes are concerned, I feel that players should have a 1 time(?) ability to re-customize, without deleting the character. This would only change the attributes, and leave skills alone.

If a character wants to redistribute EP there should be an option in game, allowing players to  decrease a level in a skill, and gain the EP back (maybe on a limited basis? with penalties if done to regularly?).

Anyhow thats my 2 cents, lets hope I can get back to actually playing the game soon.:D

Re: Ep/Character Reset Headache

ghosttr wrote:

If a character wants to redistribute EP there should be an option in game, allowing players to  decrease a level in a skill, and gain the EP back (maybe on a limited basis? with penalties if done to regularly?).

The EP system now is as simple as it gets, 1EP/Min.

It would be nice to have some ingame tools like PerpPlanner where you can give yourself a road map to follow, but once EP is spent, it should stay spent.

The 'reset' is a tool to be used for new players to 'fix' their character after learning the game.

Being able to adjust EP distribution 'on the fly' is a complete change in the basic concept of the game, which is persistance.

There are already many threads and posts on the subject, and your welcome to browse them, and if you have a new arguement how this would benefit the game as a whole, I'd love to hear it.

EP reset system will be improved in the future, so you don't have to delete your character.

Regarding your problem, you should ask yourself WHY is there a 24h timer. This is made so people cannot create new character and exploit the free stuff offered in the tutorial.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

The 24h timer has been removed in a recent patch, since we already have the EP hit when deleting characters.

Yeah the current system is really brutal for newbs like me. At first I reset to choose the correct team to suit my play style (had alrdy used a considerable amount of ep on him) and the second time I misallocated points.

It takes a good few weeks before you get the hang of things and simply put, the current system is just plain harsh for newbs.

The current system is fine.

I believe that unlimited resets would go against the spirit of the game.  Both in terms of persistence and in terms of actions having consequences.  If you allow a few resets, there will always be people asking for one more free one.  If anything, the better suggestion is to not allow people to do resets until they have played for "x weeks". 

Misallocated EP is not the biggest problem, as it will become irrelevant over time (Personally, I saved myself 10k EP by a reset but I would have been fine without it).  The bigger issue is Attributes, because it is hard for a newbie to know how to focus properly.  For that reason, I like the 1 free reset that we have.

I don't think the system is harsh for newbies. You start out with 20k EP. If you put all of them into the wrong extensions, it takes you less than two weeks to gain another 20k. And that's not counting the free reset.

If anything, resets should be locked until your account is a month old or so in order to protect newbies from their own mistakes.

I think there should be more opportunities to reset EP, for noobs accounts (less than 1 month old).

It's really hard to understand right from the start, which extension will be useful and which won't. You are not supposed to know which weapons fits youre playstyle, which extensions makes the diffference, and even which career to takes (since there is so many in the indus field) etc...

I heard a lot of new players talking about reseting their account, so i think it may be a good feature to allow a few EP resets without deleting youre char. And since it would be restricted to new accounts, it should be used only to corrects noobs mistakes.

9 (edited by Lime 2011-07-01 21:26:05)

I used my reset right off the bat and I am paying for it dearly

I have Spoken to a good deal of people who just started and feel the same way already.

10 (edited by Phalanx 2011-07-01 22:53:33)

I feel for you guys.
You get a new shiney game and you wanna jump out and start kickin azz right away trying out new bots, exploring the world etc.

If youre like me, you are impatient and just wanna get in the action. Thankfully I was born with an alarm that goes off before making any decisions that will affect my future in game. Lucky for me.

I made a thread that may help PVE/PVP DPS characters spend some points and have a little overview clarity. Check it out.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ners-tips/

HhYyDdRrAa
tribal warriors

"There must be War . . . "

Alot of you will get no love from any of us that were here since release or any of the Beta guys... After release we got a 45 day one time free reset.... If we used it on day one you used it to bad. I used mine on day 44 and loved it I had 44 days to learn the game and what extensions did what. I wrote down the ones that i wanted to keep at the lvl i had them and came out with alot of free EP. I specialized in assaults and my waspish was out dps'ing a few mechs.
Then came my 4th month in game and I realized I liked lasers better than missiles I cross trained all the way up to Mechs I could pilot 2 races Mechs. Next month the change to resets came out and I jumped on it and specialized in yellow. Now 2 months since then I can say I love yellow still but I coulda kept my old spec and been close to where my new spec is.

Tl;Dr
Save your respec until you find it unbearable to use that toon any more.... Even if you picked the wrong faction and you now hate lasers.... Train in to Missiles and EM guns just to see how you like them. Try out all the possibility's before you burn your bridge and can't get another free one.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win